• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Answerman dismisses the notion that Atlantis borrows from Nadia but notes that the animators admit to "homages" to Laputa. I say that because you DO know that long before Atlantis ever came out there was fan-rage about Nadia stealing from Laputa right? Not that I care about the result (not really a Nadia, Laputa OR Atlantis fan) but saying that Atlantis didn't pull anything from Nadia simply because the stories are totally different is like saying Negima pulled nothing from Harry Potter because they're totally different, or "The Last Airbender" pulled nothing from the Nickelodeon cartoon, because the stories are nothing alike. Otherwise, I'm going to start on my story about a dogboy with long white hair and a girl with long dark hair with a broken jewel set in ancient Japan. But my duo will fight ninjas and samurai and be trying to defeat the evil daimyo who is trying to secretly depose the emperor. And if you tell me my characters are taken from Inu Yasha then I will laugh in your face because CLEARLY my story is different because they're not fighting demons and there's a different end goal and all this nuance and EVERYTHING.

I'd also point out that all of Disney's modern animation successes are not "original" works (like Pixar's are) but are re-tellings of classic stories (Lion King being debatable depending on how you define "classic" and what you're assuming as inspiration).
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
It's not a phenomenon unique to anime fandom, that's for sure. If I had a dollar for every Star Wars or Harry Potter fan who think their beloved series is completely original........

I think it wouldn't have been a good deal- the first book that is recommended for every newbie Star Wars fan is Hero with thousand faces Rolling Eyes

Seriously I don't understand that problem with inspirations. Since the first tale was told some motives were ripped off or developed independently- who cares who was first? The plot itself is nothing, the way it's told is everything. All that "who was the first" discussions lead just to curious statements like "Le Guin ripped from Paolini" (Yes, I've fainted too>)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Brian's sentiment, "Ugh. This argument again," in reference to Hollywood ripping off anime. These arguments, for whatever side you say ripped the other, are all tiresome for the simple fact 100% originality is almost non-existent anymore. If ANYONE writes/produces/directs anything similar to something else they're ripping it off. Sigh. Everyone is influenced by other people and outside factors. All directors have fellow directors they look up to and consider influences. All actors, producers, writers, etc are the same. So of course their performances and material will be influenced by other works. Some more then others granted. Throwing your arms up in the air because one anime movie and one Hollywood movie are even remotely similar is just ludicrous. For those people I would pose a challenge. Write your own screenplay all on your own. Once you're done post it here for everyone else to see and we'll see how original it is or if it "rips" off of other sources.

I didn't get a chance to send in a response to last week's question so I'll respond here. The best anime convention experience(s) I have ever had have not actually been at Otakon. I live in MD and one would think it would have some of the most memorable experiences for me but not so. Don't get me wrong I love Otakon but for most memorable con experiences that easily goes to Nekocon in Hampton Virginia. Nekocon is a small con averaging between 3-4 thousand people. Not 25 thousand like Otakon. The advantage to this is you get a much closer and one on one experience with many of the guests. I have gotten to talk backstage so to speak on a much more personal and with many industry people at Nekocon. Some examples would be Troy Baker, Greg Ayres, Tony Oliver, and Britney Karbowski. I have to say my favorite particular con visit was in 2007. The year before I had gotten the absolute joy of meeting and getting to know Chris Ayres. The man is a simple joy to be around and talk to. He's very humble and down to earth and being a big fan of theater myself it was wonderful to talk to him about such things. That particular year though once the con was over he invited me, and my then gf, to the green room at the hotel the guests were staying at. It was a real enjoyable experience to interact with many of the guests in such an atmosphere where everyone was just being themselves. I've also gophered at Nekocon many years and gotten to know some of the staff. They are also by in large very friendly and just wonderful people. Every year I look forward to going to Nekocon probably more then any other con simply for that friendly and laid back atmosphere and, the chance to talk to all the guests on a much more one on one type basis.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Royal:
Quote:
What really gets me is when people suggest Outlaw Star first thing to Firefly fans.

*cough* BTW, Whedon's had similar issues with Buffy and Sailor Moon.

Psycho: Well, what bugs me is they're now calling Inception "original", and it's Reservoir Dogs all over again.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
*ignores juvenile argument above him*

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Read Or Die OVA yet on the subject of portrayal of Americans in animé. Our president is a cowardly pants-wetting nuke-launching idiot, and the country as a whole is treated as a stupid bulldog on England's leash. It's actually pretty awesome.
How ironic when the world news called the UK "Bush's poodle on a lead" Laughing
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
both drill from the same philosophical well

too soon =P

fawhoooosh!
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I find it interesting that Answerman dismisses the notion that Atlantis borrows from Nadia but notes that the animators admit to "homages" to Laputa. I say that because you DO know that long before Atlantis ever came out there was fan-rage about Nadia stealing from Laputa right? Not that I care about the result (not really a Nadia, Laputa OR Atlantis fan) but saying that Atlantis didn't pull anything from Nadia simply because the stories are totally different is like saying Negima pulled nothing from Harry Potter because they're totally different, or "The Last Airbender" pulled nothing from the Nickelodeon cartoon, because the stories are nothing alike.

Wait, you're saying Negima rips from Harry Potter? How? Because there are wizards in it?
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Showsni"]
HeeroTX wrote:

Wait, you're saying Negima rips from Harry Potter? How? Because there are wizards in it?

IIRC Ken Akamatsu (sp?) admitted to being a fan of Potter. While I wouldn't say Negima is a ripoff, it does strike me as a "familiar nod".

Also 4 Pages, and I surprised no one brought up the Hellsing/Van Hellsing tidbit. Again IIRC, it was Vampire Hunter D that inspired some of the concept art for the VH movie. I had never heard of people arguing over a Helsing and Van Helsing connection.
Shale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
I had never heard of people arguing over a Helsing and Van Helsing connection.

You're lucky, then. More than a few people thought Hirano made up the name.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the animation for the Mega Man cartoon holds up. I guess I have to thank the flake for that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
On the US portrayal front, I'd like to put in a good word for Kaleido Star. It's the first anime I ever saw in which the US was not populated exclusively by blond, blue-eyed Caucasians. It's still the only anime I've ever seen in which the US contains immigrants (from someplace other than Japan, anyway).[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Friggin' amazed that nobody has brought up the Megazone 23 / Matrix argument yet.

I don't believe that there are massive top-down rip-off works out there, but I will say this: your average successful artist is going to be aware of the history of his or her milieu and the major works that make up its canon, and if they're in H-wood they're probably well aware of the major trends and influences affecting the marketplace. There are marketing studies done by biz math doctorates at every major studio that can deduce how much money a flick will make. These little "unintentional similarities" are suspect to me considering how much forethought goes into approving a movie.

Moreover, in an attempt to vary their style or provide them a sense of variance in a sea o' writers, it's not uncommon that they adapt an attitude where they do what musicians do: steal from the best.

(Can I get the title "conspiracy brother"?)

I'm still thinking of the law of averages here. Saying something unethical doesn't happen in the entertainment industry is like saying sports stars are the paragon of moral standards. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Friggin' amazed that nobody has brought up the Megazone 23 / Matrix argument yet.

I've heard that "The Matrix" was pitched to studios essentially as the W. Bros take on "Ghost in the Shell". Considering the Speed Racer movie, I think it's a well known fact that the W. Bros (sorry, don't wanna butcher the name) are big anime fans.

Showsni wrote:

I'm not saying Negima "rips from Harry Potter", and I'm not saying Atlantis is a ripoff of Nadia. But to me, to claim neither drew inspiration from the material in question is nuts. Negima is about a young orphan boy wizard with glasses from the UK who is whisked off to a new school (altho granted, he also just finished at a distinguished magical school ... in the UK) at the age of ten. Harry Potter is about a young orphan boy wizard with glasses in the UK who is whisked off to a distinguished magical school (in the UK) at the age of eleven. Harry Potter was also one of (if not the) most famous franchise in the world at the time Negima started. Granted, unlike Nadia/Atlantis, the stories for Potter/Negima are NOTHING alike, and I don't claim "plagiarism" I'm just saying one influenced the other. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me tomorrow that originally Negi was going to be from India or France but Kodansha told Akamatsu to make him from Wales so that they could MARKET the similiarities to Potter. (NOT saying that happened, just saying studios/publishers sometimes try to jump on what's "hot" at the time)
slykura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The flake was referring to Madō King Granzort. An old series by Sunrise that came off the success of their SD robot style anime like Wataru.

Loved this when I was a kid and was MASSIVE in SE Asia.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
To me, all of the "movie a stole from anime b" is just a form of wishful thinking. There is always a possibility that a director or writer saw an anime and decided to lift ideas from there to create a movie, but I think it's easier to go with the simple notion that sometimes people have similar ideas.

Just because we have been brought closer through the internet doesn't mean that everyone takes a look at all the ideas that have come before and decides whether their idea is not original enough for the public.

Back to the wishful thinking. Wouldn't it be great to an anime fan if a lot of what Hollywood came up with was just a rip from old anime ideas? This feels like a way to give anime even more gold stars by saying that anime is not only better than all other forms of entertainment, but it also did it first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6