• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I second the Kaleido Star suggestion in relation to the positive portrayal of America in anime. There are certainly villains, but I think they did a good job making America a believeable setting where the characters could follow their dreams.

Also--G Gundam! The portrayal of Chibodee Crockett and his crew was half postive and half WTF?! And then there's good old Neo-America up in space. I love it...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Madō King Granzort came out in the 80s or 90s. How could someone who knows about that anime write like they were about 8 or 9 years old?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
To me, all of the "movie a stole from anime b" is just a form of wishful thinking. There is always a possibility that a director or writer saw an anime and decided to lift ideas from there to create a movie, but I think it's easier to go with the simple notion that sometimes people have similar ideas.

Italian exploitation and Hong Kong cinema would like to have a word with you. Smile
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I know I would ruin some clever reference, but I have no idea what that means. I'm no film major,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Italian exploitation and Hong Kong cinema would like to have a word with you. Smile

Hong Kong cinema, perhaps. However, if you are referring to the famous copying done by Italian spaghetti westerns, that was Japanese live action samurai movies they were stealing, not anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Getter: Actually, AWO talked to Ishiguro about the Matrix/Megazone thing a while ago. He suggested he might've indirectly been inspired by an early Heinlein work. Allegedly, there was supposed to be an unused segment about a robot bike in the movies, too. But I'm willing to let the Wachowskis slide because they officially gave credit to their most blatant "homage", GITS. But if it makes you feel better... Wink

Heero: Um, it's a spoof of Potter. If it was a rip-off, Akamatsu would actually take it seriously. Anyway, that one went full circle, as Jack Black was going to be attached to a similar movie called Man-Witch.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Hong Kong cinema, perhaps. However, if you are referring to the famous copying done by Italian spaghetti westerns, that was Japanese live action samurai movies they were stealing, not anime.

No I wasn't, although there's that and things like "Zombi 2", etc. There's been a bit of a digression (my fault!), but basically I brought this up because the argument has gone from "people don't copy ideas from anime! It's paranoia!" to "people don't copy things! It's coincidence!"

I don't think people want to be known as "biters", etc., but it happens as sure as the sun rises.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
Well I think to say that it's absolutely one or the other is exaggeration. I hope I am not being pointed at as someone who believes that nothing ever gets blatantly copied. I know it does happen.

In fact, I have one actual case of copying that can be proven: Led Zeppelin. To this day they are being shown as copying from these unknown acts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First it was the Lion King vs Kimba/Leo. Then it was Atlantis vs. Nadia and Van Helsing vs. Hellsing. Now it's Inception vs Paprika. How do you feel about the latest comparison being made by anime fans?

Ugh not this again, indeed. If we're going to accuse Hollywood of ripping off anime. Why don't we accuse Lucas of ripping off Kurosawa's film with Star War, let's do the same thing for the Matrix trilogy because it's look a lot like Ghost in the Shell. Oh what about Japan making Kaze No Stigma looking a little like Avatar: The last Airbender, and Fist of the North Star looking too much like Mad Max. Let's also accuse Vampire Knight of ripping off Twilight (even though both of them were written during the same year).

Got I'm tired of this comparison. Would people stop comparing a anime to a Hollywood movie without any evidence? I never hear any complaint about Asia ripping off American movies like the Korean film, H. Why does the movie's plot resemble a lot like Silence of the Lamb and Se7ven?

For the anime portraying American in both positive and negative way, it's no different from how Hollywood has done stereotype of other world like Russian during the cold war era as evil or Japanese during WW2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
mdo, you mean people haven't made these exact accusations before? Smile

I think that some people walk around wearing anime colored glasses.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
mdo, you mean people haven't made these exact accusations before? Smile

I think that some people walk around wearing anime colored glasses.

or people are pulling double standard saying America rip off anime is bad. But when it's Japan (or any Asian countries) ripping off American film/cartoon or any American entertainment, It's OK. I guess there are Japanese supremacists after all. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ugh not this again, indeed. If we're going to accuse Hollywood of ripping off anime. Why don't we accuse Lucas of ripping off Kurosawa's film with Star War, let's do the same thing for the Matrix trilogy because it's look a lot like Ghost in the Shell...
God I'm tired of this comparison. Would people stop comparing a anime to a Hollywood movie without any evidence?

While I'm with you all the way as far as near-total apathy for this alleged widespread "theft" of ideas from anime/Japan on Hollywood's part, you picked some iffy examples. After all, George Lucas has openly stated that Star Wars was inspired by The Hidden Fortress and Darth Vader was inspired by Hakaider, the antagonist of the Shotaro Ishinomori series Artificial Humanoid Kikaider. Similarly, the DVD extras for The Matrix and The Animatrix feature the Wachowskis talking about Ghost in the Shell being an influence on the visuals and action style to the point that "let's do this...only for real" is how they pitched the film.

mdo7 wrote:
and Fist of the North Star looking too much like Mad Max.

Although 1979's Mad Max is commonly credited as being the origin of the visual motif by which the post-nuclear apocalypse is a barren wasteland populated by gangs of muscle-bound, mohawked goons bearing spiked clubs and face paint as they commit untold atrocities, there is actually something that established and utilizes this sort of imagery which precedes it by several years: the 1973 shonen action manga Violence Jack by Go Nagai. Whether or not such a controversial children's comic--yes, it was for kids the same way Naruto and One Piece are nowadays--ever made it to Australia in such a form as to be available to then-amateur film students during that time is unknown to me.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Aw you and your facts getting in the way of fanboy speculation.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Ugh not this again, indeed. If we're going to accuse Hollywood of ripping off anime. Why don't we accuse Lucas of ripping off Kurosawa's film with Star War, let's do the same thing for the Matrix trilogy because it's look a lot like Ghost in the Shell...
God I'm tired of this comparison. Would people stop comparing a anime to a Hollywood movie without any evidence?

While I'm with you all the way as far as near-total apathy for this alleged widespread "theft" of ideas from anime/Japan on Hollywood's part, you picked some iffy examples. After all, George Lucas has openly stated that Star Wars was inspired by The Hidden Fortress and Darth Vader was inspired by Hakaider, the antagonist of the Shotaro Ishinomori series Artificial Humanoid Kikaider. Similarly, the DVD extras for The Matrix and The Animatrix feature the Wachowskis talking about Ghost in the Shell being an influence on the visuals and action style to the point that "let's do this...only for real" is how they pitched the film.

mdo7 wrote:
and Fist of the North Star looking too much like Mad Max.

Although 1979's Mad Max is commonly credited as being the origin of the visual motif by which the post-nuclear apocalypse is a barren wasteland populated by gangs of muscle-bound, mohawked goons bearing spiked clubs and face paint as they commit untold atrocities, there is actually something that established and utilizes this sort of imagery which precedes it by several years: the 1973 shonen action manga Violence Jack by Go Nagai. Whether or not such a controversial children's comic--yes, it was for kids the same way Naruto and One Piece are nowadays--ever made it to Australia in such a form as to be available to then-amateur film students during that time is unknown to me.

Hold on, I have a quick question about what you said about Darth Vader. What do you mean Darth Vader was inspired by Hakaider. George Lucas never watch Kikaider and he never acknowleged that series. Also the film Mechanical Violator Hakaider came out in 1995. That's many years after the first Star War came out. I also check Darth Vader influence. It doesn't say anything about Hakaider being a influence to him. I check Kikaider's Wiki and it doesn't say anything about that show play influence on Star Wars. Do you have evidence that Lucas watch Kikaider? I don't recall or read anything that he watch that series.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ummm, he said Hakaider, not Kikaiter. In fact, you said Hakaider, too. Then you said Kikaider.

Hakaider was George Lucas' inspiration for Darth Vader
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6