• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Ummm, he said Hakaider, not Kikaiter. In fact, you said Hakaider, too. Then you said Kikaider.

Hakaider was George Lucas' inspiration for Darth Vader

I know, but the movie, Mechanical Violator Hakaidercame out in 1995, Star War came out in 1970's. So the only explanation is that Lucas must have seen Kikaider which Hakaider appear in. But the Kikaider TV Show was shown in Hawaii and did Lucas went to Hawaii before he made Star Wars.

Edit: Found out Lucas lived in Japan for several years. Never mind the "he live in Hawaii and saw the show".

Quote:
The word "Jedi" is derived from the Japanese words "Jidai Geki" which translate as "period drama." A period drama is a Japanese TV soap opera program set in the samurai days. George Lucas mentioned in an interview that he saw a "Jidai Geki" program on TV while in Japan a year or so before the movie was made and liked the word.

George Lucas said in an interview that Darth Vader was based on Hakaider, a villain from the superhero TV series, "Jinzô ningen Kikaidâ" (1972), which he saw while he was in Japan.

Kind of odd that Wikipedia never pointed out that Kikaider (the villain Hakaider) influenced Star War. I wonder why Hakaider was never mention to the whole public.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
Why don't we accuse Lucas of ripping off Kurosawa's film with Star War, let's do the same thing for the Matrix trilogy because it's look a lot like Ghost in the Shell.

Because Lucas and the Wachowskis acknowledged their influences?

Quote:
Oh what about Japan making Kaze No Stigma looking a little like Avatar: The last Airbender, and Fist of the North Star looking too much like Mad Max.

Avatar looks like Naruto, and Miller was about to do a Mad Max anime, so I guess it's fair.

Quote:
Let's also accuse Vampire Knight of ripping off Twilight (even though both of them were written during the same year).

Actually, I insinuated the opposite argument, but the counter-argument was that Meyer came up with her idea two years earlier.

Quote:
Why does the movie's plot resemble a lot like Silence of the Lamb and Se7ven?

Silence of the Lambs is another take on the Ed Gein guy, so I guess it's "public domain".

AWO:
Quote:
Although 1979's Mad Max is commonly credited as being the origin of the visual motif by which the post-nuclear apocalypse is a barren wasteland populated by gangs of muscle-bound, mohawked goons bearing spiked clubs and face paint as they commit untold atrocities, there is actually something that established and utilizes this sort of imagery which precedes it by several years: the 1973 shonen action manga Violence Jack by Go Nagai.

Don't forget A Boy and His Dog, which Ellison claimed some Japanese company wanted to remake.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, Kikaider was originally created in the 70s, so while the Hakaider movie was in the mid-90s, it started in the 72.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Kind of odd that Wikipedia never pointed out that Kikaider (the villain Hakaider) influenced Star War. I wonder why Hakaider was never mention to the whole public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Gatsu wrote:
Because Lucas and the Wachowskis acknowledged their influences?

One time, a group on Facebook that denounce American remake of Asian film, the leader of that group wrote down that the Matrix rip-off the Ghost in the Shell. this person has to be a idiot for saying that, also I said to him why don't you put Star War on that list since Lucas "rip-off" Kurosawa film. He took down the The Matrix from the list. I wonder what would happen if Japan (or Asia) started to remake American film like I wouldn't mind seeing Carrie being remade by Japan with Chiaki Kuriyama as Carrie and the director for the remake is Takeshi Miike since the remake can be gory.

Quote:

Yet how many people said Kaze No Stigma looks like Avatar despite plot differences.

Quote:
Silence of the Lambs is another take on the Ed Gein guy, so I guess it's "public domain".

I was talking about the movie H because the plot sound so much like Se7en and Silence of the Lamb combine. Yet I never hear American complaing that film is a rip-off of these 2.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
mdo7, Kikaider was originally created in the 70s, so while the Hakaider movie was in the mid-90s, it started in the 72.

I'm aware of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
Let's face it. People watch movies and tv, read books, and then when they see other stories they see resemblances in them. Maybe they're right on a few, but to me people are too quick to say that something is a rip-off without having evidence to that claim.

I feel that if you are going to accuse something of being stolen or copied, don't just go with superficial similarities as being your proof.

I looked at a trailer for Kaze No Stigma and it doesn't look anything like Naruto. Maybe the characters are what have a resemblance, because I'm not seeing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Let's face it. People watch movies and tv, read books, and then when they see other stories they see resemblances in them. Maybe they're right on a few, but to me people are too quick to say that something is a rip-off without having evidence to that claim.

I feel that if you are going to accuse something of being stolen or copied, don't just go with superficial similarities as being your proof.

I looked at a trailer for Kaze No Stigma and it doesn't look anything like Naruto. Maybe the characters are what have a resemblance, because I'm not seeing it.

That's true and I did remember this Lifetime movie, The Devil's Diary and a lot of people claim it rip-off Deathnote. I would agree the notebook in that movie is similar. But I don't see a Light Yagami, Ryuk (or any Shigami). The father of the girl is a child molester who tried to rape his daughter not a police chief like Soichiro Yagami in Deathnote. Also the notebook was used to kill off bully, not criminal. One more thing, I don't see anyone that looks like L or act like him. So therefore, it's not a rip-off. The story may be similar but Alexz Johnson is no Light Yagami. However, Alexz Johnson does fit really well as Misa if the Live-action American version of Deathnote was to happen. One more thing, what made people think Avatar looks too naruto-ish?

Alexz Johnson

Misa from Deathnote
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Similar movies to Inception @ Box Office Mojo. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Also, a comment via this mash-up:

Quote:
he's not making it up. I just finished watching Paprika and Inception was definitely inspired by it! I work at a movie theater so I watched Inception last night
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I didn't see the similarities. The ability to enter dreamscapes isn't that uncommon in fiction, and that's about as far as the similarities go. In fact, I would say "Inception" is far closer to "The Cell" than to "Paprika" by a long shot.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, they both got the floating corridor and reality cracking like a mirror thing, so...
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
So did the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode "Frame of Mind", your point? Not exactly unique and unheard of story elements either.

I think the more likely reality is that you're a person who has proven time and time again that you are so heavily bias towards Japanese media that your perception of reality is completely warped and unreliable in these matters. I knew the moment this post came out that you'd make it your soapbox but I think this has run its course unless you actually have some substance to add.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So did the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode "Frame of Mind",

Well, the novel predated that episode, so... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think the more likely reality is that you're a person who has proven time and time again that you are so heavily bias towards Japanese media that your perception of reality is completely warped and unreliable in these matters.

Well, would you prefer the opinions of random random critics who've seen Inception?

Quote:
I knew the moment this post came out that you'd make it your soapbox

Sorry, but I am on topic in regard to the question.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Nice eye roll, but no, that doesn't make your point. Not only are those elements irrelevant to the overall story, but the episode "Frame of Mind" was written in 1990, but was only used in 1993, so your point is still irrelevant.

As for the reviews, they only further my point, and not yours. The films are stylistically similar in some ways, which is all those reviewers state. But if you want to play that game I recommend reading some HP Lovecraft, whose work also shares those similar elements and whose work predates Paprika by a good 50 to 60 years. If that doesn't matter then look in to the reading some of the ancient legends of the greek god Hypnos, also with those elements, and predating Paprika by roughly 2500 years. Again, you're acting like these things are great and new ideas, when they are not and have been used in storytelling mediums for a long long time.

Now, you might be marginally on topic, but soapboxing is still soapboxing. You're still using the mere mention as your chance to fire off anti-western rants as you always do and attempts to further your purist stance in regards to Japanese media. This is further demonstrated by the fact the thread was dead for 24 hours and you revised it with a double post, which you aren't allowed to do. Between the soapboxing and the double post I think you're done here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6