• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Asobi ni Ikuyo Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vega427

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
They had me at Catgirl. For that reason alone I will watch all 13 episodes regardless.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Yah umm, pretty much all anime on CR is available in the UK. In fact, they're pretty much the only legal streams that are available in the UK. Do your research next time before hating on the one guys who do give us what we want
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
They got after the part it announced an artist of Wagaya no Oinarisama and Gundam SEED was in there. I'll check it out for sure =p!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
Yah umm, pretty much all anime on CR is available in the UK. In fact, they're pretty much the only legal streams that are available in the UK. Do your research next time before hating on the one guys who do give us what we want

A lot, maybe the majority, but not all by a fair distance. It is hard to tell since the blocked titles aren't showing up on the list for me, but it included Sora no Otoshimono, and includes all the Toei titles like Digimon and Pretty Cure.

They also aren't the only legal streams since ADV's older titles are available on TAN along with some Enoki titles:
http://www.theanimenetwork.co.uk/Watch-Online

some of FUNimation's titles are also available, albeit only via their Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/funimation#g/shows (hit and miss unfortunately)

There's also Manga's stream of FMA:B
http://www.manga.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/user/MangaUK

and Gong's titles:
http://www.gonganime.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONG
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONGnative
http://www.joost.com/01300a7/

That doesn't stop it being annoying that FUNimation's portal and their simulcasts are unavailable, that we pay the same for a Crunchyroll subscription as everyone in America but get less titles, and that we pay the same for a TAN subscription but can see nothing that has been licensed post-Section23.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Scamp wrote:

A lot, maybe the majority, but not all by a fair distance.

More than three quarters of simulcasts ... whether that's "almost all" or "barely more than half" is one of those 'is 6in a long or short piece of string' arguments that don't lead anywhere.

Obviously, since its only the last nine months they started having good success getting UK rights, its less than that for the catalog. But if CR "doesn't care about the UK", how did it get from less than half, a year ago, to over three quarters? Magic? Prayer?

I'm thinking, CR trying to change it is why it changed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm, 14 light novel volumes vs. 13 episodes of anime = woefully incomplete anime storyline with no good conclusion. But you can't go wrong with catgirls.

Fletcher1991 wrote:
Didn't this same anime come out just the other season?
No no, that catgirl wasn't an alien. At least I don't think she was.

Maybe this will be the season I start watching more shows on CR. It beats straining my ancient CPU to play station-upscaled 720p fansubs.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Scamp wrote:

A lot, maybe the majority, but not all by a fair distance. It is hard to tell since the blocked titles aren't showing up on the list for me, but it included Sora no Otoshimono, and includes all the Toei titles like Digimon and Pretty Cure.

They also aren't the only legal streams since ADV's older titles are available on TAN along with some Enoki titles:
http://www.theanimenetwork.co.uk/Watch-Online

some of FUNimation's titles are also available, albeit only via their Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/funimation#g/shows (hit and miss unfortunately)

There's also Manga's stream of FMA:B
http://www.manga.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/user/MangaUK

and Gong's titles:
http://www.gonganime.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONG
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONGnative
http://www.joost.com/01300a7/

That doesn't stop it being annoying that FUNimation's portal and their simulcasts are unavailable, that we pay the same for a Crunchyroll subscription as everyone in America but get less titles, and that we pay the same for a TAN subscription but can see nothing that has been licensed post-Section23.

You hit the nail right on the head there, my fellow UK Otaku! Very Happy

Why should we UK Otaku (or Otaku outside NA and Japan) have to pay the same price for a subscription to CR or TAN if it means we get access to less content than people in NA. Why should I pay for a subscription to CR if it means I can't have access to the live-action dramas or Toei shows (and yes, in this case it's still CR's fault as they've never even thought of getting rights through Toei Europe for their shows)

On another note, I may watch fansubs but at the same time, I still buy anime when I can and when I go to London for the MCM Expo in October, I'll be buying a decent amount of anime there including the Ninja Nonsense Special Edition (and yes, I discovered the show through fansubs!) for example, plus I'll be having a huge splurge at TRSI from the bargain bin just before Xmas.

I have no problem with CR apologists but it would be nice if they could do their research as to why quite a few of us Otaku outside NA aren't happy with CR.

(As for Gong, they look promising although hopefully they'll have a wider selection eventually)

We UK Otaku want to support the anime market, but the way things are going at the moment, it's still slim pickings here when it comes to streamed anime compared to the NA market, and at the end of the day, fansubs won't go away in the EU area anytime soon for shows that are available streamed in NA but not available here such as Highschool of the Dead for example (I've already downloaded a fansub of the first episode and it's definitely as awesome as the preview made it out to be! Very Happy)
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Why should we UK Otaku (or Otaku outside NA and Japan) have to pay the same price for a subscription to CR or TAN if it means we get access to less content than people in NA.

Just like someone in the US, you decide whether the shows you can watch are worth the sub, buy it if it is, don't buy it if it isn't.

Quote:
Why should I pay for a subscription to CR if it means I can't have access to the live-action dramas or Toei shows (and yes, in this case it's still CR's fault as they've never even thought of getting rights through Toei Europe for their shows)

If you don't have access to dramas, don't get a premium membership. Same as someone who has access and does not want to watch them, just get the anime membership.

As far as "its CR's fault that they never even thought of " ... blah, blah, blah, you just made that up ... you have no evidence to go on regarding what CR has or has not tried to get rights to which shows where.

When you are just making shit up, its obvious that you are just making excuses, But why bother? If you want to be a parasite, just say so. Then there is no need to make shit up.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Why should we UK Otaku (or Otaku outside NA and Japan) have to pay the same price for a subscription to CR or TAN if it means we get access to less content than people in NA.

Just like someone in the US, you decide whether the shows you can watch are worth the sub, buy it if it is, don't buy it if it isn't.

Quote:
Why should I pay for a subscription to CR if it means I can't have access to the live-action dramas or Toei shows (and yes, in this case it's still CR's fault as they've never even thought of getting rights through Toei Europe for their shows)

If you don't have access to dramas, don't get a premium membership. Same as someone who has access and does not want to watch them, just get the anime membership.

As far as "its CR's fault that they never even thought of " ... blah, blah, blah, you just made that up ... you have no evidence to go on regarding what CR has or has not tried to get rights to which shows where.

When you are just making shit up, its obvious that you are just making excuses, But why bother? If you want to be a parasite, just say so. Then there is no need to make shit up.

You don't happen to work for CR by any chance as you're certainly defensive of them for some reason?

In any case, I'm not sorry for saying what I did and if you have a problem with my views, tough luck because I'm not taking them back as I still stand by them concerning CR's poor attitude towards the UK and I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are.

BTW, do you have any proof that I or Shiroi Hane or any other UK Otaku are talking "shit" as you put it so eloquently concerning our views on CR?

Why are you accusing me and other UK Otaku of being parasites for daring to watch fansubs rather than streamed anime or alongside what streamed releases are available to view in the UK when the majority of us actually buy fansubbed anime when they do get an official release in the US or UK. In fact, you probably didn't even read most of my last post as I distinctly said that I was going to buy a load of anime; both US-released and UK-released when I go to London in October and I also intend on buying more from Rightstuf.com in December especially titles like Strike Witches and Nerima Daikon Brothers (which incidentally is available to view in the UK on Funi's YouTube page).

Before I forget, we've actually got anime here in the UK that for one reason or another isn't available in the US such as various Studio Ghibli releases (My Neighbour the Yamadas being one example, I believe) as well as Summer Wars which is coming out later this year and as far as I know has no US release planned PLUS we've had a few UK SE's of various anime like "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" as well.

If I was supposedly a 'parasite' for daring to watch fansubs and read scanned scanlations of manga that's not available English such as GS Mikami or the various St Seiya spinoffs, then why would I and many others still support the anime and manga industry by buying official releases and merchandise?

Admit it, you're one of those types of Otaku who thinks that CR is the best thing when it comes to sliced bread when it comes to legal anime when ironically enough it started out as a site for showing fansubs online including bootlegs of official US releases before becoming legit a couple of years back (or did you conveniently forget that part of its history?)

Official Wikipedia entry on CR if you or any other CR apologists don't believe me.

As for a premium membership, it still wouldn't be value for money at the end of the day and they should offer a discount to people outside NA who can't get the full choice that people in NA get.[/url]
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
In any case, I'm not sorry for saying what I did and if you have a problem with my views,

When you say something that is just a lie, or say something that you have no evidence for, "I am not sorry for making shit up" is admitting that you can't back up what you argued.

I am just pointing out that since your arguments are in part built on bullshit, there is no reason for someone else to be persuaded by them.

As far as suggesting that anyone who calls bullshit on you when you lie and fabricate to support your argument must be working for whichever company you are bullshitting about ...

... even if I did, that wouldn't convert bullshit in your argument into evidence, now would it?
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
In any case, I'm not sorry for saying what I did and if you have a problem with my views,

When you say something that is just a lie, or say something that you have no evidence for, "I am not sorry for making shit up" is admitting that you can't back up what you argued.

I am just pointing out that since your arguments are in part built on bullshit, there is no reason for someone else to be persuaded by them.

As far as suggesting that anyone who calls bullshit on you when you lie and fabricate to support your argument must be working for whichever company you are bullshitting about ...

... even if I did, that wouldn't convert bullshit in your argument into evidence, now would it?

It's obvious that you can't accept that I have a perfectly valid argument against CR even after posting a link to the Wikipedia entry on them which proves that they weren't exactly legit to start with (and you probably couldn't be bothered to visit it as well) and you still insist that my arguments are supposedly "bullshit" as you're accusing me of stuff which I didn't say.

In any case, why are you so obsessed with trying to prove that I'm wrong (as well as others who don't like CR) and you're right, that I'm supposedly a liar and that I'm making up what I'm saying about CR? Are you that much of a CR apologist that you can't accept that people don't like them or is it that you actually do work for them? You still haven't explained why we're supposedly lying concerning CR even after offering valid evidence concerning them.

You don't want to admit that there are "parasites" as you so eloquently put it who DO support the otaku market, so I would appreciate it if you don't lump in the fansub watchers who DO buy legitimate releases and various merchandise, because at the end of the day, you're making yourself look stupid with your desperate trollish attempts to try and prove that your arguments are valid. It's clearly obvious that you're a vehement anti-fansub supporter. Just remember that if it wasn't for fansubs, we wouldn't have as much a selection as we have now on legitimate release (and that includes Hetalia and Lucky Star) PLUS a lot of the stuff on CR were previously available as fansubs before CR licensed them for streaming!

On another note, I'm not going to stop downloading fansubs of Highschool of the Dead as they come out just because they're not available to view legally in the UK and yet I'll still buy the legitimate DVD or BluRay release from the US when it comes out (even though I wish Funi had picked up the license as we would have at least had proper extras if they had released it next year on DVD/BluRay instead of Section 23)

As Voltaire once said (you probably won't know who he is in any case): "I may not necessarily agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Don't get me wrong, your opinion is just as valid as mine or anybody else's where CR is concerned (I'm not bothered when it comes to Funi for the most part), but one thing I don't like is people who can't accept that other people have opinions that they don't like.

At the end of the day, I can obviously see I'm not going to persuade you that my view is as valid as yours, so let's just agree to disagree because I have better things to do with my time than try to prove my points concerning CR even after providing proof about them.

(To the Mods: I'd like to apologise for the hijacking of this thread, but as someone who's frustrated at the hypocrisy of the anime distributors in Japan when it comes to making legal streams available outside Japan, but I'm just frustrated at the fact that agila61 seems to be desperate to prove that Shiroi Hane and myself are wrong concerning CR and that he may have a ulterior motive when it comes to defending their so-called "honor")
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
(As for Gong, they look promising although hopefully they'll have a wider selection eventually)

They've seem to have had the same few titles for years now though. First discovered them on Joost before it collapsed if that tells you anything (this was while looking for anime from guys like FUNimation and not finding it as it was blocked here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
It's obvious that you can't accept that I have a perfectly valid argument against CR even after posting a link to the Wikipedia entry on them which proves that they weren't exactly legit to start with

Based on what? I pointed that out long before in a thread that was actually on piracy where it was no off-topic,

They weren't legit when they launched. For the last year or so they had an official policy of not accepting uploads of licensed work but (1) its copyrighted whether its licensed for overseas distribution or not and (2) they in any event relied on user uploads of licensed work for much of their traffic, so its not as if they vigorously enforced the official policy.

Quote:
(and you probably couldn't be bothered to visit it as well) and you still insist that my arguments are supposedly "bullshit" as you're accusing me of stuff which I didn't say.

I pointed out that some of the evidence you presented to support your argument is bullshit.

You said that someone in England has to pay for drama they cannot receive in order to get premium access to anime.
Quote:
Why should I pay for a subscription to CR if it means I can't have access to the live-action dramas or Toei shows

Its just not true that Crunchyroll forced people who cannot (or do not want to) pay for drama. You played this game of changing the subject from anime to dramas in your very first post in this thread:
Quote:
That plus their subscription is still not value for money for people outside NA, especially the UK seeing as 3/4 of their shows are blocked to people here especially their live-action stuff!

Based on what you have since revealed to be an ongoing internet grudge against Crunchy, you must have been very discouraged when you realized that Crunchy have been streaming 3/4 or more of its new simulcasts to the UK for three seasons now. That is clear evidence that CR has been working to improve access to UK members.

Aha! Dramas! Most of the dramas are not available to the UK! discouragement changes to glee! You can hammer Crunchy on availability of "anime and dramas".

Only problem is, an anime membership is not buying access to dramas. An anime member who wants to watch a drama now and then watches it with ads like anyone else who is not a drama or premium member,

So the answer to "why should a UK member who is not getting dramas have to pay for dramas?" is, "You don't." Get an anime membership, it only pays for anime access.

If simulcasts and 480p, sometime 720p access to the shows available in the UK is not sufficient to justify the $5~$7/month for an anime membership, then don't pay it, watch it on the ad-stream a week later instead.

Remember that your basic argument for watching bootlegs when legit streams are available had nothing to do with merch and DVD sales ... it was the following:
Quote:
OMG! A anime on CR that's available in the UK! Oh what rapturous joy![/sarcasm]

[In case anybody didn't get it, I was being sarcastic because I don't like the fact that CR are getting lots of anime shows that will never get a chance of a release in the UK or the US on DVD such as Saki, Strike Witches II and now this show!

On another note, if anybody from CR cares to tell us Brits why we should get a subscription, I'd definitely be interested in listening, but until then, thanks but no thanks and I'll stick with my fansubs!

Set aside the dramas, which you seem to have introduced because Crunchy has reached the point of streaming 3/4 or more of its simulcasts to the UK, so you wanted to distract attention from that.

here is where you declared that unless someone from CR staff comes and "convinces" you to your satisfaction that its worthwhile for UK members to buy an anime membership, you will watch fansubs. By implication, that is even when free ad-streams are available in the UK.

And apart from the completely bogus shifting of the argument from anime to dramas, the only reason given is a claim that streaming on Crunchy spoils chances to get a DVD release, despite the fact that SW1 streamed on Crunchy and got a DVD release, a week after the licenses for Sora no Woto and Durarara!! were announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2