• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Queen's Blade Pulled from Free to Paid on PS Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
So I suppose that completely free online play they offer to everyone with a PS3 doesn't count?

And how exactly is it bad for them to charge money for certain things? It's called a business, they have to make a profit to keep going.

Nonsense! This is teh internet. Daring to seek payment for anything is a crime against humanity! Rolling Eyes

Right, I forgot. One of these days I'll figure it out. Embarassed
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
decent anime like QB and others.
Oh the irony! Laughing

ikillchicken wrote:
Nonsense! This is teh internet. Daring to seek payment for anything is a crime against humanity! Rolling Eyes
I couldn't find that one in my little red book. Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's called a business, they have to make a profit to keep going.

With episodes being charged at $1.99 each, I'm sure no one's questioning the profit motive here. How much of that do you suppose actually makes it back to Japan?

There's a fine line between profit and gouging. This price point is the latter.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
With episodes being charged at $1.99 each, I'm sure no one's questioning the profit motive here. How much of that do you suppose actually makes it back to Japan?

Well Sony is a Japanese corporation so...all of it?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'm sure there's a good number of 13 year-olds out there who will sorely disappointed that no more QB will be coming their way without a credit card. Until they find torrents.

I am sure those underage rugrats will find some other way, that of course isn't at legal and ultimately is exceptionally stupid.

I am not shocked at all though, the next generation has it way too easy anyway.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
It's called a business, they have to make a profit to keep going.

There's a fine line between profit and gouging. This price point is the latter.

I suppose it doesn't matter to you that they charge the exact same price as any other download-to-own service. $2 per episode is pretty standard, and the shows they have come from Funimation. Viz, etc. So, part of the money is going there, no question about it.

And how is this gouging? Let's stick with Queen's Blade. At $2 per episode, the same four episodes from volume 1 would cost $8. Let's say that they let you download both the dub and sub versions, that's still only $16 if you get both. The MSRP is $30 for the DVD, so if you don't mind not having a disc, then you're getting a deal.

But the arguments I've seen you make lead me to believe that you assume any sort of company is evil. Yeah, they are out to make a profit, but guess what, if nobody could profit from what they do, then they wouldn't do it, love of the craft only cares so far and it certainly doesn't pay the bills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2