• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Academy Awards Revises Animated Feature Rule

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
This seems very weird, and indeed looks targeted at film like Avatar. The question is why do this? Have they actually given any real reason?

Are the foggies who run the archaic academy, somehow scared or threatened by the rise of motion capture technology? Is it because it feeds and enhances CG that they have such a fear of it?

Who knows. One thing is certain though, is that this seems designed to leverage tradition animation over other CG types. The world is becoming too complex for these foggies. So long as they keep awards coming to U.S studios (cough, cough Disney) and artists, they don't really care about others.

I'm no fan of Avatar with Wolves, but I can commend it and James Cameron, for taking chances with new technology, and pushing the boundaries, where few bother. Oh my god, I just coplimented 3D, I think I just hurled a bit in my mouth.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
What crap so now all anime movies have to be an hour or so long so 90mins is out what bull shit
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
This seems very weird, and indeed looks targeted at film like Avatar. The question is why do this? Have they actually given any real reason?

Are the foggies who run the archaic academy, somehow scared or threatened by the rise of motion capture technology? Is it because it feeds and enhances CG that they have such a fear of it?

Who knows. One thing is certain though, is that this seems designed to leverage tradition animation over other CG types. The world is becoming too complex for these foggies. So long as they keep awards coming to U.S studios (cough, cough Disney) and artists, they don't really care about others.

I'm no fan of Avatar with Wolves, but I can commend it and James Cameron, for taking chances with new technology, and pushing the boundaries, where few bother. Oh my god, I just coplimented 3D, I think I just hurled a bit in my mouth.

It says "motion capture by itself", which implies that other techniques should be used in order to make it animation. Motion capture can be very cheap, which is why animators should go ahead and perfect it instead of relying solely on it. If they don't, they're basically just adding a digital effect to skin. If memory serves, I don't think Cameron even thought of it as animation; I know Spielberg didn't.

Also, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion of "So long as they keep awards coming to U.S studios (cough, cough Disney) and artists, they don't really care about others" from what's been given. The new rules allow for shorter animated films to be nominated, which actually increases the amount of eligible films.

firedragon54738 wrote:
What crap so now all anime movies have to be an hour or so long so 90mins is out what bull shit

....No. They are now eligible if they are 40 minutes and over.
Levsta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Don't get too hot too quickly! I thought the same thing when I read the article initially, but the edit and enurtsol's post clarify the news post; take a look at 'em if you need clarification.

The Motion Capture rule is good too, I suppose. It's not really a radical change to the rules, just disqualifying films which most people wouldn't consider as animation anyways.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
So basically had Blood, The Last Vampire just been released it would now qualify to be considered. Fair shout.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
While this is nice as it opens up the doors for alot more shorter animated projects to be nominated they still need to do more to help more.

Anime alone has a big issue in that because they come out here a few years later they are not counted which is stupid in my opinion.

The way I see it they would be taking nominations for the English version a series or movie and not the original so the English version would qualify for the year. A good example would be The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It should have been considered the year it came out in the US because it had a English dub it didn't previously have and that is worth(to me) being a new release.

The whole point of awards like this is to give recognition to the film makers who do this for a living and while that works fine for the live action stuff it doesn't work for the animated stuff and needs to be changed to reflect that because there are incredible animated films and people behind those films being overlooked because of stupid outdated rules that don't fit the animation medium as a whole. It's preventing certain groups and film makers from getting the recognition and credibility they deserve while giving those things to films that don't deserve it in the least(some of the time)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Anime alone has a big issue in that because they come out here a few years later they are not counted which is stupid in my opinion.

The time limit keeps the context relevant. You can't have a foreign film (not just anime, any film) originally released in 1995 but released in the US in 2005 be on the 2005 Academy Awards. A lot of things have happened between now and then. The film has to compete with its "peers," not between a 10-yr-old film and a 1-yr-old film.

Reibooi wrote:

The way I see it they would be taking nominations for the English version a series or movie and not the original so the English version would qualify for the year. A good example would be The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It should have been considered the year it came out in the US because it had a English dub it didn't previously have and that is worth(to me) being a new release.

Actually, that's the way it works. The original Japanese The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would qualify for Best Foreign Film the year it's theatrically released in Japan. The US release (whether dub or sub) would qualify for Best Animated Film the year it's theatrically released in the US, provided it's in the next calendar year after the Japan release.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Toy Story 3 better be included for Best Picture when the noms come out. I don't care if the year is barely halfway through. I will cry foul if it is not in the running come February.

The Academy Awards are not merit-based awards. They're political awards. Disney plays politics big time. Toy Story will be nominated.

Onizuka666 wrote:

CG can still be animated frame by frame. Other than the characters, Avatar was animated frame by frame. I think this rule is aimed more at films like A Scanner Darkly, not that there's been a ton of them, though.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Onizuka666 wrote:

CG can still be animated frame by frame. Other than the characters, Avatar was animated frame by frame. I think this rule is aimed more at films like A Scanner Darkly, not that there's been a ton of them, though.

It's not talking about CG animation, it's talking about motion capture with a CG skin put on it, like Beowulf.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
The Academy Awards are not merit-based awards. They're political awards.

Indeed. Can anyone identify a recent animated film that falls between 40 and 70 minutes? Someone, somewhere, has an agenda; I wonder what film they're trying to include?
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
So if Nick Park decides to do another motion picture, he's ineligible? Any movie like that Mr. Fox film also wouldn't make it? Stupid.

How about a rule like, just because Disney/Pixar releases a movie, it shouldn't automatically win just because it's so awesome. (Not TOTALLY hating on them, they just seem to win EVERY FRICKEN YEAR.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
So if Nick Park decides to do another motion picture, he's ineligible? Any movie like that Mr. Fox film also wouldn't make it? Stupid.

Stop-motion is not motion-capture.

DTJB wrote:

How about a rule like, just because Disney/Pixar releases a movie, it shouldn't automatically win just because it's so awesome. (Not TOTALLY hating on them, they just seem to win EVERY FRICKEN YEAR.)

Heh, the Academy wouldn't had created a separate Best Animated Film category if not for Disney constantly trying to push their animated films for Best Picture. So basically, they created the Best Animated Film category to appease Disney, so without Disney promoting their animated films there, they'd probably close it (the Academy doesn't seem to be too enamored with it in the first place).
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
How To Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist and perhaps Tangled for the 2010 nominees, i'm calling it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
How To Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist and perhaps Tangled for the 2010 nominees, i'm calling it.

If Toy Story 3 wins, maybe we'd get to see Totoro on the video clip. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2