• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design our Icons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
We have some nice ones here. I think my top three (in no particular order) would have to be RoninRune's, Nicole Peterson's, and rosiethorn's. Ronin's are glossy and professional, and I just like looking at them. Peterson's fit with ANN's style, though as some have said, they may be too simplistic. Rosiethorn's are very nice. If the rest of the set could be finished, it would be fantastic!

And, I like how all three incorporated the "I"'s dot.

Last edited by RestLessone on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Peterson's fit with ANN's style, though as some has said, they may be too simplistic.

Nicole Peterson's DO look professional, but I thought the whole idea was a re-design. They don't really seem all that different from what ANN was already using. --I guess if ANN doesn't want that much of a change, they would be fine. If ANN had swapped out their old ones for these without any kind of an announcement, I probably wouldn't notice the change at all.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Nicole Peterson. ANN has a professional presentation in the first place, so her refinement of the current icons is the best choice.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I find Tess Reid's set strangely alluring... but I'd have to see them in situ to be certain whether they mesh with ANN's visual scheme. I very much like the graphical shorthand in the icons.

I also like Nicole Peterson's set because they're strongly "ANN style", and familiarity's helpful on the web, where layouts and styles can change just because.

Disclaimer: The ANN icons aren't much of a factor in my browsing. I take in the graphic via my peripheral vision and ignore any text flag altogether - my attention is primarily on scanning the headlines for keywords of interest. I may be too text-based for my comments to be of much use. (But I heart Tess Reid's set anyway.)
-kf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The scroll-over text for the icons works but really isn't fast enough when I'm skimming things over, so Mugimaru904's set with the words is instantly my favorite. Aside from that, Tess Reid's are the clearest and easiest for me to understand overall. I value function over aesthetic appeal.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Mugimaru's looks the best out of that lot, I think.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to say I think RoninRune's are the best. Their sleek and very well done.
The ANN logo looks fabulous too.
The reflection (if you'd say) off of the logo's are what really catch my eye.
Nicole Peterson's are nice too, but feel too plain and ordinary, their similar to the ones' ANN is currently using which defeats the purpose of finding better icons. Don't get me wrong their good, but not better.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I like two, Mugimaru904 and RoninRune. Mugimaru904's is nice because it shows, in the icon, what is the catoagry, while RoninRune is nice and flashy and I like that they kept the logo. But there is something that I like about Tess Reid's I can't put my finger on it. I would like Tess Reid's more if they used the logo for news though.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with many others and say I prefer RoninRune's and rosiethorns88's icon sets. Ronin's feel ultra-professional, and depending on the other ways in which ANN plans to update their website, these could end up being the perfect fit. I think everyone should keep in mind that the website has many more changes planned over the next year or so, so what might fit with the current design may not mesh as well once the site redesign is finished. And rosiethorns88's set seems like a good current match. If the site design doesn't end up changing too much, those would be a very good match, especially if the artist can finish the set.

Also, to Tempest, or anyone else in the know, is there any chance that we could get more than one icon set as alternate site skins or something? Cause it'd truly be a shame to only get one icon set, especially considering that this is only half the entries. Smile
Mugimaru904

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks to those of you who liked my icon designs. I was wondering how they might stand up to the competition, considering I only noticed the contest with a few hours left to spare until the deadline. I probably would have gone a bit further with these though if I had noticed the contest sooner, or just tweaked them a bit, but I wanted to get a full set in before the deadline.

Looking at the other entries so far, I'm not sure if mine are good enough to win. Personally, I like the stylish look of RoninRune's and rosiethorns88's entries the most; though I think rosiethorns88's fit the ANN style a bit more.

Great looking entries so far. I can't wait to see what the rest of the entries look like.
the_punisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Definitely Nicole Peterson's, they expand on the existing ones are easy to read and remember.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Hi Mugimaru. I do like yours, but two of your icons have been bothering me since these were posted. Does the "Encyclopedia" one say "Eency" and does the "Interest" one say "Iint"? The double letters have been nagging me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I finally found the current submissions! Sheesh, it wasn't easy. For those also having difficulty, click the "ann usa" link atop the page.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to enter the contest. I had planned on the weekend before the 19th, but life interfered and screwed me out of some chances at winning a few DVDs, if not all of them.

My vote would go to the Aqua Flux collection.

In my opinion, it's the only submission even worth considering. The rest come off as imitations to the icons ANN wants to replace.

I know the contest said to retain the color scheme, but I don't think it was meant to be taken so literally as to basically copy the icons ANN did.

Imagine for a second if the Aqua Flux collection had the background colors removed, but the art was colored retaining ANN's requested scheme.

I'm probably misinterpreting the rules, since so many are doing the opposite of what I would have done.

Well, anyway, good luck to those who've submitted.
Smile
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
the_punisher wrote:
Definitely Nicole Peterson's, they expand on the existing ones are easy to read and remember.

Ditto.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Why do so many people talk about DVDs or other prizes when the contest says this?:
The Contest wrote:
There is no prize for this contest, merely our undying gratitude and the pride of having your work displayed on ANN to millions of visitors every month.

Were prizes announced later?

And Nicole Petersen to win, Aqua Flux to place, Lissa Patillo to show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9