• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 3.0 Sells 2.84 Million Tickets for 3.9 Billion Yen in 20 Days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sayan12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the movie is any good.

I've been hearing a lot of negative things.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember talking to someone on this forum who, even after a record-breaking opening weekend, doubted that 3.0 would get to 50 million USD at the box office. The Eva train cannot be stopped.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
sayan12 wrote:

I'm sure people said the exact same things for 1.0 and 2.0 before we in the west we're able to get our hands on it.
yu_samson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
sayan12 wrote:

It depends what kind of EVA fan you are. There are the purists, who expect the story to stay more or less true to the storyline of the original TV series. And then there's the other group who don't mind a departure from the TV series.

EVA 3.0 is radically unique in its own way so it's not going to please everyone. But, I think viewers should just try to enjoy it for what it is. People called it the "Rebuild of Evangelion". Well, it's being rebuilt from the ground up in a sense for this particular act in the 4-part movie.

I watched it in Tokyo. I was confused at first. But a few days after watching the film, I was wanting to watch it again.

Samson
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
When do you guys think this will be released on bluray in japan? I know its gonna take awhile before it gets licensed so we can buy it, but hopefully they get it fast so someone can upload and fansub it ._.
as bad as it sounds I can't wait 1 damn year or something until we can buy it...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
To put some data out there...

Evangelion 1.0 debuted in theatres September 1st, 2007.
Evangelion 1.01 was released on DVD (and BD?) on April 25, 2008.
Evangelion 1.11 was released on BD/DVD on May 27, 2009

Evangelion 2.0 debuted in theatres July 27th, 2009.
Evangelion 2.22 was released on BD/DVD May 26th, 2010

Most likely looking at a 9-12 month wait.
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To put some data out there...

Evangelion 1.0 debuted in theatres September 1st, 2007.
Evangelion 1.01 was released on DVD (and BD?) on April 25, 2008.
Evangelion 1.11 was released on BD/DVD on May 27, 2009

Most likely looking at a 9-12 month wait.

is that in america or japan?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Both of those dates are the Japanese dates. I assumed that's what you wanted?

North American BD/DVD dates as follows:
1.01 - November 17, 2009
1.11 - March 9, 2010
2.22 - March 29, 2011
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Both of those dates are the Japanese dates. I assumed that's what you wanted?

North American BD/DVD dates as follows:
1.01 - November 17, 2009
1.11 - March 9, 2010
2.22 - March 29, 2011

Ah yes sorry, thanks for the info! I hope they are faster this time ._.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
When are we gonna get this in the US?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
When are we gonna get this in the US?

Probably Summer 2014, assuming it takes us 10 months to get the Japanese BD, and then 10 more on top of that for FUNi to.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
Repeat customers seem likely for this movie because the first time through, it really throws you for a loop. You want to see it a second time after you've had a chance to process it and rewire your expectations.

I've seen it twice now. After the first time, I knew I'd have to defer having an opinion until I could see it again. There's a lot to absorb, and I failed to catch some important dialog along the way that was needed to understand the climax.

Saw it again last night. Listening comprehension was still not perfect, but I caught a whole lot more this time around, and as a result could see more of what was at stake at the end, and what was being attempted. While watching, I also bore in mind some of the criticisms I'd read on-line to see if they were really flaws or had reasonable explanations in the context of the story.

Long story short: the second time through, it blew me away. I might even go back again. Can't wait for the DVD to come out, and I really hope that live-action Nausicaa prequel that opened the show will be included on it too.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
So people are upset because the third movie isn't following the TV series? Wasn't that the entire point of Rebuild - to take the story in a completely new direction? Where were these people at the end of 2.0, because last time I checked, there were strong indications that the events in 3.0 would bear no similarity to the TV series whatsoever. Not to mention that the trailers didn't seem to have any scenes from the TV series in them at all.
Anno said from the very beginning of the Rebuild project that he was going to recreate Eva and give it a completely new ending. Now that he's doing what he said he would - start working towards that new ending that was promised, people are getting huffy and accusing him of trolling?
Admittedly, I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible, although I do know about spoiler[the time skip, Rei's disappearance, Kaworu's death, and everyone hating Shinji]. But the trailers still felt very Eva-ish to me - the apocalyptic setting, dark and sombre tone, lots of action, really strange and disturbing events, and characters who have personal issues that they are trying to work through.
If this movie had everyone suddenly being really happy-go-lucky, the world is safe, and included 20 minutes of them frolicking on the beach, then yeah, I'd say Anno has trolled us.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

If this movie had everyone suddenly being really happy-go-lucky, the world is safe, and included 20 minutes of them frolicking on the beach, then yeah, I'd say Anno has trolled us.

That'd be the 4th movie. Mark it. Laughing
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't think people are upset that the movie isn't following the TV series. I think they were looking for a change... but the change that we were given--mostly the spoiler[time skip]--really changes the entire playing field. Suddenly, character interactions are completely changed and the spoiler[gap in time] leaves us with a ton of questions about the development of the characters that doesn't seem to flow that well from the end of the second movie into this movie, aside from the general fact that spoiler[everyone seems to dislike Shinji for having eradicated the immediate vicinity at the end of the second movie and being a threat.]

I enjoyed it. I'm a huge Kaworu fan, so it was nice seeing him have a longer, more important (or rather, developed) role. But yeah. I feel like the plot and spoiler[setting change] throws the previous game out the window... maybe a bit too far for a lot of peoples' comfort, which is understandable.

In the end, however, 3.0 is still true to evangelion and Anno's style. It changes the game, but it doesn't change the message or the idea behind it. It was considered the "climax" movie (at least, according to the symbolic titling) and it certainly had some great climactic moments, but I think it's obvious at this point that the main climax will have to be the point of the final movie, since this movie spoiler[ends on almost the same exact note as the last movie], making the content and purpose for the last movie anyone's guess.

Oh, and one last thing I see a lot of complaint about already: spoiler[Shinji becoming indecisive again.]
Because of this, people are accusing Anno of having trolled when he said that spoiler[Shinji would be stronger-willed in rebuild.] Still, when you consider the circumstances of the third movie, spoiler[Shinji's position itself forced him to be indecisive. It kept him in solitude and drastically removed his role as a main player in the story... at least, until Kaworu was able to drag him back into the main conflict. As the movie ends, Shinji is depressed... but I expect to see the effects from this movie become his weapon from here on out. Once he gets himself back together, he'll have to find something to fight for. And that, most likely, will be the purpose of the final movie.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2