• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: No Vuvuzelas at Otakon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
THANK GOD. Vulvas or whatever the hell they're called make the most annoying sound ever.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I don't think vulvas can make a sound Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote

(taken at Nelson Mandela Square, Johannesburg RSA)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
Thankfully, the really annoying fad followers, obnoxious hallway shouters, amateur graffiti artists, thoughtless glompers, and stupid noisemakers represent perhaps a few hundred people who come to the con. The vast majority are actually more interested in hearing the guests, videos, and panelists they came to see.

The flood of thank-you messages has been rather heartwarming. It's like 98% positive -- even more than the paddles and signs.

Pre-registration numbers are up about 10% over last year, so we must be doing something right.

Thank you for putting on such a wonderful con. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
THANK GOD. Vulvas or whatever the hell they're called make the most annoying sound ever.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I don't think vulvas can make a sound Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh, I can give you a few tips Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad... I wish it the world cup happened before Fanime (the big con I went to)... Becuase I bet they were have been all over the place.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing everyone. As a football fan(soccer) and supporter of the US natonal team the vuvuzelas are a tradition in SA, its a decendent of a Zulu horn used to call everyone for gathering, and FIFA didn't ban then because it would be like banning taking off our hats during the national anthem, bad idea (I know that's a strech but work with it). But football fans used them to be part of the atmosphere and for the fun of an event that only happens once every four years. People who use them just to make the noise are annoying, obnoxious, and trying to get a response from others. If any of you went into a bar during the World Cup would notice mostly cheering, chantting, and singing. So pass the word to put them away and tell them its a con not the 2010 World Cup. For those who are 21 and didn't partake in the events of the World Cup I have one question for you: Who wouldn't want to have a beer at 10am?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
Here's the thing everyone. As a football fan(soccer) and supporter of the US natonal team the vuvuzelas are a tradition in SA, its a decendent of a Zulu horn used to call everyone for gathering

That's a common misconception. The similarity to the Zulu horn is merely coincidental. In reality, the Vuvulela was created in Europe during the 14th century by the pagan cult known as The Order of the Fly in an attempt to duplicate the sound of their demon lord, Beelzebub. They were successful.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
animefan1238 wrote:
Here's the thing everyone. As a football fan(soccer) and supporter of the US natonal team the vuvuzelas are a tradition in SA, its a decendent of a Zulu horn used to call everyone for gathering

That's a common misconception. The similarity to the Zulu horn is merely coincidental. In reality, the Vuvulela was created in Europe during the 14th century by the pagan cult known as The Order of the Fly in an attempt to duplicate the sound of their demon lord, Beelzebub. They were successful.

LOLOL.

+10 forums points to you, good sir. xD
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
But football fans used them to be part of the atmosphere and for the fun of an event that only happens once every four years.

They're not strictly confined to this past World Cup, either. You'll hear them just as often at Orlando Pirates matches, they've become part of the soccer culture in South Africa.

Also, the whole thing kind of got blown out of proportion by the shithead broadcasters, who put way too many mics on the sidelines and mixed the audio like crap. The horns sounded neat if you were actually at the matches, and only really got loud during set pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
Actually this is funny because I was wondering if this was going to be covered. I was just recently on Otakon's site and I saw the "ban". I didn't know what they were. So it's funny I come here and see this news. I think I had one of those when I was a kid. Wish I still had mine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Heh, even Youtube created a "feature" to add the vuvuzela sound on a video to simulate how the video would sound like if it's in the WC 2010 stadium. Laughing
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
animefan1238 wrote:

LOLOL.

+10 forums points to you, good sir. xD

LOL! Nice one!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
THANK GOD. Vulvas or whatever the hell they're called make the most annoying sound ever. And having to endure it for hours and hours is just ear-splitting.

Yaoi paddles are also just blah. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been hit by random fangirls (and an old man once :x ).

I try to be polite and compassionate to other people. I never want to cause trouble and try to helpful when I can.

But so help me, if some random person hit me with anything for no reason, I guarantee you I wouldn't be polite. I don't want to be violent, but for all I know, that person may be trying to rob me.

That is why I say never to hit others, especially strangers. Some of those strangers may not be nearly as nice as I would be. You never know who may have a gun or knife and may not be very nice.

As for the loud noise Vuvuselas, I am glad they are banning them. Loud noise of any kind not only is bad for you hearing, but serves no purpose other than to usually annoy others. If a person wants to play those annoying items, play them at your home or some where else.
JBFire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Very glad that they will be banned at Otakon. That's the only convention I attend in the year and I wouldn't want to have a poor experience just because some want to make too much noise. Conventions are generally loud enough with just the usual chatter of excited people that they don't need any outside assistance.
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping no one has the bright idea to try bringing these to Comic Con. I have not heard of any specific policy in place, but here's hoping that once someone blows them, they will be jumped by 1,000 raging nerds and their lightsabers. So congrats Otakon for having some foresight and making it clear so the attendees can enjoy themselves.

With that said, am I the only one who didn't really mind the vuvuzelas? I thought they were a pretty cool thing, especially since it seems to be a very African thing to do at soccer matches. I mean, I've been at loud concerts and playoff football games so I didn't see what all the fuss was about with these things. After all, American sports have their own quirks like thundersticks, fight songs and having everyone dress the same as if you were joining a cult. Anyways, soccer is over and I'm sure those vuvuzelas will fade away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4