• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Anime-Inspired Doctor Who Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
It's still better than the CGi version that currently is running on CBBC, that's just nauseating. Rolling Eyes
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
I'm really not liking this. The transition between each frame is really unnatural looking, and some of the character designs look pretty botched. Project A-Ko and Macross are two of my favorites, but I don't think this lives up to his inspirations. This reminds me of all those tee-shirts you saw back in the 90's and early 2000's of people imitating anime designs.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
SHADING! How I've missed it! Greatly enjoyed the "obligatory fleet sequence" and "80's anime laser effect".
My one complaint is excessive volume on the canned foley effects. Even the cheesiest of golden-age anime did their own foley work.
Quote:
It's still better than the CGi version that currently is running on CBBC, that's just nauseating.
Ugh. I'd link to it, but that would insinuate that your time wouldn't be better served by staring at a blank wall instead.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
The short-lived manga "Time Guardian" and its clever treatment of time manipulation made me think that a Doctor Who manga or anime would be interesting. These clips help make the case further.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
The BBC might be willing to go for this if it could be done cheaply enough. And based upon recent material like games and cartoons, they would also likely want a story with the current Doctor.

I wasn't that impressed with the examples, although I understand it was only one person doing all the work. The Daleks came across as particularly stiff. But it seems he is more focused on action scenes rather than just trying to tell a story.

It's an interesting "what-if" but it would be better to go with a western animation company and a more British style for an animated Dr. Who. Unless it's actually produced in Japan there's no sense in using that style.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see at least one Dr. Who story set in Japan. An entire planet and he keeps coming back to Cardiff.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
A Doctor Who anime? Fund it!

That scene with the soldier falling out the window over the city reminds me of Ghost in the Shell.

I do smell a UK-Japanese co-productions. You know I can't remember the last time a anime was made as a UK-Japanese co-productions. The Doctor Who anime would be nice and probably the first UK-Japanese co-productions.

Wasn't the original Ghost in the Shell movie a co-production with Manga Entertainment UK?

Yeah, I think I recalled that it was a UK-Japanese co-production. This came out in Japan on November 1995, then it came out in UK on December of that same year. This film didn't came to the US until March 1996. So Ghost in the Shell is really a UK-Japanese co-productions. Beside Ghost in the Shell I can't think of another anime that was a UK-Japanese co-productions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
I went to an art school with an animation program and had several friend in said program and I have to say any one of them (and their Teachers) would be impressed by this project. That was a lot of animation done by one person. No it is not prefect but considering it was home made it is dame impressive.

I had already seen these and though it was cool. I too would like something more like an episode then a short clip but I could then see the BBC putting a halt to the project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
Got to commend the guy's effort, but I can't help thinking how very dated it all looks, and I'm surprised the BBC haven't jumped on him by now!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see at least one Dr. Who story set in Japan. An entire planet and he keeps coming back to Cardiff.
That's because it was BBC Cardiff what made it. Even the Beeb has to keep within budget. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Beside Ghost in the Shell I can't think of another anime that was a UK-Japanese co-productions.

The Beeb certainly have far more money to spend than Manga did in their heyday.
However, I doubt whether the former would be interested in this notion, and I also doubt whether the latter, pace Jerome et al., would be able to take part in another co-production nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Beside Ghost in the Shell I can't think of another anime that was a UK-Japanese co-productions.

The Beeb certainly have far more money to spend than Manga did in their heyday.
However, I doubt whether the former would be interested in this notion, and I also doubt whether the latter, pace Jerome et al., would be able to do another co-production nowadays.
I don't think Jerome was involved with Manga UK when they were actually UK based and dubbing down in Dyrwin studios. The pound was in near parity with the dollar back then, so was quite cheap to bring the VA's over on a sort of working holiday. Also the building Dyrwin were in was an old 18th Century manor house on estate just outside of Carmarthan, so quite the nice location. They also had studios in Cardiff as well. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Raz_G wrote:

Wasn't the original Ghost in the Shell movie a co-production with Manga Entertainment UK?

Yeah, I think I recalled that it was a UK-Japanese co-production. This came out in Japan on November 1995, then it came out in UK on December of that same year. This film didn't came to the US until March 1996. So Ghost in the Shell is really a UK-Japanese co-productions. Beside Ghost in the Shell I can't think of another anime that was a UK-Japanese co-productions.

Manga injected money into it (30% of the budget) pre-production to head off rival bids at the pass.

Mohawk52 wrote:
the building Dyrwin were in was an old 18th Century manor house on estate just outside of Carmarthan, so quite the nice location. They also had studios in Cardiff as well. Wink

You mean Derwin, right?

Oh, shame:
TV facilities company Barcud Derwen in administration
That would be why the site is down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed I immediately recognized Paul Johnson as one of the former members of Studio Trophis from the art style. I played a game he did the art for, the white chamber, around a year ago, and the art style in these videos immediately reminded me of it.

I recommend the white chamber if you like creepy point-and-click adventure games, yes.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to Mr. Johnson! Very nice work, indeed! As a lover of both Dr. Who and anime, this is soooo right up my alley...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This ought to be a dream-come-true, but unfortunately I'm not sold on it. It's too much cliché 80s anime and not enough Doctor Who, like it's a generic anime from twenty years ago that just coincidentally happens to have the Doctor, Cybermen, and Daleks in cameo roles. One of the key things about Doctor Who that makes it great is its quirky, campy, whimsical style, which just doesn't gel well with slick, gritty, 80s, cyberpunky anime. The project has lost the spirit of the source material in the name of "anime-izing" it, in my opinion, and it makes the whole thing just not work.

Now don't get me wrong, on a technical level, this is fantastic work. The animation is impressive, as is the level of detail put into the artwork. It's a great technical achievement, but it just suffers from trying to ostensibly claim to be Doctor Who while lacking everything that makes it, well, Doctor Who.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3