• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan-Made Anime-Inspired Doctor Who Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Holy retro, Batman!

Great fun, though I have to admit that I watched the rise and fall of fansub doco first.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This is AWESOME. Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
It's a great technical achievement, but it just suffers from trying to ostensibly claim to be Doctor Who while lacking everything that makes it, well, Doctor Who.

I don't know. My inability to follow it is comparable to any given Dr. Who story.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
You know I showed this to Manga UK on Twitter. I ask them if they ever express interest of doing a co-production with Japan with maybe BBC backing. The following is a Twitter conversation between me (I'm mikedo2007 on Twitter) and Manga UK:

Quote:

Manga UK replied back to me:

Quote:
@mikedo2007 Saw it. Loved it. Hope the guys behind it get a gig with one of the anime studios or BBC to produce it officially.

Then I ask them:

Quote:
@MangaUK: Well can MangaUK like maybe lend a hand like you can co-produce it like you did for Ghost in the Shell back in the 90's?

MangaUK replied back:

Quote:
@mikedo2007 Not so easy. Best bet is hope a bright spark at the Beeb sees it. #DrWho is their sacred cow.

Then I leave 2 twitter message:

Quote:
@MangaUK: True, but BBC may need a middleman to negotiate to Japanese studio and production. You're the only one that can do that for BBC.

@MangaUK: Unless, Does BBC have a branch in Japan? If they don't, I think this is where MangaUK come in to help.

They left me back a intresting message:

Quote:
@mikedo2007 Funnily enough our parent company #Starz recently announced a BBC co-production on new #Torchwood series!

My last message to them:

Quote:
@MangaUK: well there you go, now if BBC wanted to do a Dr. Who anime and need a middlemen to talk with Japanese studio, they'll talk to you.

I would love Manga UK to maybe lend a hand for the Dr Who anime if BBC ever commission it. Does BBC have a branch in Japan? If they don't, then I think this is where Manga UK could serve as a middlemen and a liason between Japan production and BBC. Manga UK has done co-production and they could do it again for the Dr. Who anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Does BBC have a branch in Japan? If they don't, then I think this is where Manga UK could serve as a middlemen and a liason between Japan production and BBC. Manga UK has done co-production and they could do it again for the Dr. Who anime.

Haven't come across any co-productions w/Japan, but they have sold the Dancing with the Stars show format in Japan.

The distribution channel BBC Japan which shut down about four years ago ... anyway, BBC Worldwide manages the Dr. Who brand around the world.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see at least one Dr. Who story set in Japan. An entire planet and he keeps coming back to Cardiff.
That's because it was BBC Cardiff what made it. Even the Beeb has to keep within budget. Wink

Tell that to the Top Gear boys. Some say The Stig costs more to run a car than to have him play wiffleball. And if you gave him a spreadsheet, he could balance the United States Debt within 12 minutes.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Does BBC have a branch in Japan? If they don't, then I think this is where Manga UK could serve as a middlemen and a liason between Japan production and BBC. Manga UK has done co-production and they could do it again for the Dr. Who anime.

Haven't come across any co-productions w/Japan, but they have sold the Dancing with the Stars show format in Japan.

The distribution channel BBC Japan which shut down about four years ago ... anyway, BBC Worldwide manages the Dr. Who brand around the world.

So BBC used to have a branch in Japan, huh. That sucks, that branch could have help with the Dr Who anime if that ever become a reality. Well, BBC can always have Manga UK act as a middle men/liason between them and Japanese studio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've known about Paul Johnson for a while. I'm not really sure what to make of him though. While his Doctor Who project is really cool and novel, and his YouTube documentary on fansubs is excellent, his art style and colouring are straight out of one of those horrible OEL manga instruction books, and he has some very bizarre and somewhat silly views about the merits of 'old' anime over 'new' anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see at least one Dr. Who story set in Japan. An entire planet and he keeps coming back to Cardiff.
That's because it was BBC Cardiff what made it. Even the Beeb has to keep within budget. Wink

Tell that to the Top Gear boys. Some say The Stig costs more to run a car than to have him play wiffleball. And if you gave him a spreadsheet, he could balance the United States Debt within 12 minutes.
Top Gear is done by an independant outfit for the Beeb, but is free to syndicate to Dave tv on the Sky box. Dr. Who is owned and produced by the Beeb, for the Beeb, and is only licensed out by the Beeb through their Lion Heart international arm.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Top Gear is done by an independant outfit for the Beeb, but is free to syndicate to Dave tv on the Sky box. Dr. Who is owned and produced by the Beeb, for the Beeb, and is only licensed out by the Beeb through their Lion Heart international arm.

Joke went over your head, so Christmas Day at Doctor Who.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3