• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Danny Choo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Again, how is this different, really, from last week's "New Voice Productions"?

The difference here is that Danny Choo is a well known individual to the community (apparently not to you, but clearly to many others) and the industry. There's a certain amount of goodwill and reputation that exists, and while the failure of this project wouldn't destroy him or his business, it would nonetheless have consequences, especially if mishandled. While he may only have a two man team, he clearly has some budget to throw at this project.

NVP was almost completely unknown prior to their announcement, had no resources whatsoever, and had nothing on the line so to speak.

So while there's no guarantee that this project will come to fruition, there's clearly a significant difference between Danny Choo / Mirai Inc and NVP.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Akihabara is a red light district...on a low level, there's no actual sex, but its filled with maid cafes. Which are basically Japan's version of Hooters.

No, Anna Miller's is basically the Japanese version of Hooters.

Anyways, you should probably go to Akihabara before speaking about it as if you know it.

You should also reference more credible websites, as the one you referenced is becoming something of a joke.

Finally, I'd just like to remind you about the no Soap Boxing rule. This is the second time you've gone on a rant regarding Danny Choo. While you're more than welcome to discuss and defend your views, I expect that you will not repeat them ad nauseam every time Choo is mentioned on ANN.

-t
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Akihabara is a red light district...on a low level, there's no actual sex, but its filled with maid cafes. Which are basically Japan's version of Hooters

I suggest you go to Akiba, you wouldn't even know that there were maid cafes except for the maids out drumming up business by manding out fliers on the sidwalks.

Hell go spend an evening in Kabukicho, or if you swing that way walk over to Shinjuku 2-chome or Shinbashi. Then see if you can talk about Akiba being a red light district.

As for Danny I have a great respect for the guy, and envy for his being in the holy land making a living doing cool stuff.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, always nice to see someone trying to make more anime. I wish he had answered the lolicon law question, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
I love ANN. Is it true, Danny, that moe and loli, which we're *ahem* everyone is so concerned about, are really just destroying anime as we know it? Well, is it, Danny? Screw the anime you're producing, we need your opinion on this! We're too insecure to realize that our taste in anime is different from yours!

[EDIT: Watch the language. -TK]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

His "production company" *self-admittedly* consists of only two people.

I'm not going to deign any of your vitriol with a comment, but I will point out that Hoshi no Koe was animated entirely by Makoto Shinkai and the original version was voiced by him and his wife.

I really can't help wondering when and why Danny pee'd in your cornflakes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
_V_ wrote:
Akihabara is a red light district...on a low level, there's no actual sex, but its filled with maid cafes. Which are basically Japan's version of Hooters

I suggest you go to Akiba, you wouldn't even know that there were maid cafes except for the maids out drumming up business by manding out fliers on the sidwalks.

Hell go spend an evening in Kabukicho, or if you swing that way walk over to Shinjuku 2-chome or Shinbashi. Then see if you can talk about Akiba being a red light district.

As for Danny I have a great respect for the guy, and envy for his being in the holy land making a living doing cool stuff.

Indeed, I have a hard time believing that _V_ has ever been to Akihabara if he honestly believes that. When I was there, I actually had to spend some time trying to find a maid cafe. I suppose if I was able to read the fliers the maids were handing out it would have been much easier, but to listen to him you'd think you couldn't walk 2 feet without stepping into one. I'm not sure which part of Shinjuku it was, but there I found the red light district quite easily (apparently they have something for everyone, because there were plenty of straight options) so to compare Akihabara to that is quite laughable.

Anyways, while I don't care too deeply about Danny Choo either way, I'll be interested to see how this project turns out. I may not always agree with the guy, but I certainly am not going to wish him ruin either.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ahh...the things you read in forums.

Personally, I find the venom directed at Danny Choo to be quite perplexing as he is (IMO) a refreshing addition to the Otaku community. If I had the resources and the time, I would do the same thing. To be able to turn your fandom into a career is a blessing. I say, "Good for you, Danny!" and "Stay geeky, my friend!"
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gawd I was writing a long post... I just decided to chuck it because in the end it just won't make a difference. I suppose his own response will do: http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/1615/Dealing+with+Haters+Part+1.html

So anyways, it's a bit of a mischaracterization to simply say he's a blogger-turned-anime producer. He and a couple other developers have been running the Goodsmile site (as well as http://www.figure.fm and other web development/net services ) for some time.

I hardly keep up with his blogging nor participate in the social-network-y aspects, but I personally appreciate the slice-of-life posts. I've visited Japan only as a tourist so there are many things not yet experienced. Just the seemingly mundane stuff, from doctor's visits to Golden Week, can be interesting to see the Japanese perspective. Plus other things you don't regularly see or read about like run down housing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Danny Choo is definitely more than a blogger.

He's more of a professional otaku marketer/consultant.

What he isn't, though, is involved in the anime industry in any direct fashion: This project even if it comes to pass as he intends is still done outside the "anime world" in Japan, since it's his own studios and indy artists that he seems to be using.
It's more like a grand experiment at cross-platform franchise creation from an independent producer... The goal is not just to make an anime but to create and market characters and merchandise with them.

I wish the project well, although frankly I don't see its success or failure having much affect on the actual anime industry itself at all.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:

Personally, I find the venom directed at Danny Choo to be quite perplexing as he is (IMO) a refreshing addition to the Otaku community. If I had the resources and the time, I would do the same thing. To be able to turn your fandom into a career is a blessing. I say, "Good for you, Danny!" and "Stay geeky, my friend!"

The venom directed at Danny Choo is not really born out of the fact that his father is/was a multi-millionaire shoe designer or that he's turned his fandom into his career. It's his methods, which come across as exploitating the enthusiasm and goodwill of people for his own personal profit.

Take a look at the Chinka announcement page at http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25524/Chinka.html . (Be careful; I have noticed that when sites critical of Danny Choo link to this article, it redirects to his motivational page or "dealing with haters" article instead. Currently that link goes to where it should, but Mr. Choo is an IT professional...). Pay attention to one of the last paragraphs:

DannyChoo.com wrote:
You have been involved with Otacool 1 and 2 and I want you to be involved with Chinka too. There will be scenes for you to illustrate or color in and we will feature your name in the credits. You get to have your work featured in an anime which I would say is a great opportunity for those who want to expose their work or get into the industry. More details to come. Hope you are as excited as I am!

Do you understand what this is saying? He's asking for fans to do animation work, and in exchange you get your name featured in the credits. It says that it "is a great opportunity for those who want to expose their work or get into the industry." It does NOT say anything about you getting paid for your work.

For reference, the "Otacool 1 and 2" books he mentioned are two picture books that he published (EDIT #1: I mistyped. He is not the "publisher" as he is not in any industry position to be able to publish and physically distribute books. But he does bill himself as the "author" such that he commonly refers to these books as "his" books, the disingenuous nature of which I explain below.). The details of both of those are here:

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25279/Otacool.html
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25358/Otacool+2+Submissions+Open.html

These two books--the site promises a third in the works--were labeled "consumer generated media" and came about by the following process:
  • You send Danny Choo your photographs in high resolution with no watermarks [because a watermark implies someone else owns it]
  • Danny Choo compiles the images and releases the book. In exchange, you get no monetary compensation...but he does!
  • Oh yeah, the book needs other artwork too! Well, if you just send in your artwork and character designs for it..."your character design will likely gain popularity throughout the otakusphere globally - meaning that once your work has been recognized, you should expect more commission work especially from Japanese companies."
  • EDIT #2: Just noticed this, but as stated here, those who get their pictures selected and used in the books DON'T EVEN NECESSARILY GET A FREE COPY.

Do you see the pattern here? He has released books for which other people took the photographs and did the artwork for without being paid to do so, on the promise that doing so is a way to get your foot into the Japanese anime/manga industry. The majority of the actual WORK was not done by him, yet he gets the actual money and can now market himself to the public as a published author. This helps establish a media narrative that he is an credible authority figure. Now he is doing work on an animated series for which some unspecified portion of it is going to be produced in similar fashion. Should that come to pass, he will then be able to market himself as a producer and bona fide member of the anime industry. He'll also be the one collecting the profits on the merchandising and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

As Levar Burton famously said, you don't have to take MY word for it. Go actually click on those links. Read them yourself. Don't just skim. Then read the other portions of his site related to how he also wants 3D modelers. Notice how none of these "job listings" make any mention of salary, hourly wage, or benefits. Notice that they don't even imply that such things exist and just aren't listed on the page. It's not that I am fundamentally opposed to doing work without pay on certain projects. But if I'm not getting paid for a project, then nobody had better be getting paid. If a small group of people at the top are collecting a check off of the efforts of unpaid volunteers, that to me is exploitation.

Danny Choo is a master of commercial marketing and promotion with easy access to people who've made millions of dollars in the culture/fashion industry. He knows exactly what he is doing. He himself is quite well-off in his own right, and he knows that there are tons of people whose dream it is to work in Japan. He is nefariously taking advantage of these people while simultaneously convincing them all that he's really just doing them a favor. To achieve this, he romanticizes Japan as an otaku Mecca, then sells people on that image. "I'm the nerd living his dream as a Stormtrooper in Japan...AND YOU CAN TOO! Keep reading to find out how!" Everyone who ever was a hard-line pusher of the "Cool Japan" narrative has been someone who's got a book to sell or some other such product.

I'm let down that this interview made no attempt whatsoever to directly confront Danny on these concerns. Granted, his marketing and PR acumen is at a level not typically seen in the US anime industry (Tokyopop's the closest to emulating his methods), and so he would undoubtedly expertly deflect the question with a non-answer. But I do feel this is a legitimate concern people need to bring up more when discussing Danny Choo.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chunx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I guess these things AWO mentioned went below my radar, since i don't feel like applying for his job offers, though i feel the concern is valid. So the question is can a prospective employee trust Danny Choo or is he/she smart enough to ask the right questions? Has anyone ever been burned by him? I don't know cos I've have not looked around or heard anyone complaining, yet.
One can only try... And yes, i agree caution is always advised, as I've been burned before myself.
dark_hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
BuffaloStyle wrote:

The venom directed at Danny Choo is not really born out of the fact that his father is/was a multi-millionaire shoe designer or that he's turned his fandom into his career. It's his methods, which come across as exploitating the enthusiasm and goodwill of people for his own personal profit.

Take a look at the Chinka announcement page at http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25524/Chinka.html . (Be careful; I have noticed that when sites critical of Danny Choo link to this article, it redirects to his motivational page or "dealing with haters" article instead. Currently that link goes to where it should, but Mr. Choo is an IT professional...). Pay attention to one of the last paragraphs:

DannyChoo.com wrote:
You have been involved with Otacool 1 and 2 and I want you to be involved with Chinka too. There will be scenes for you to illustrate or color in and we will feature your name in the credits. You get to have your work featured in an anime which I would say is a great opportunity for those who want to expose their work or get into the industry. More details to come. Hope you are as excited as I am!

Do you understand what this is saying? He's asking for fans to do animation work, and in exchange you get your name featured in the credits. It says that it "is a great opportunity for those who want to expose their work or get into the industry." It does NOT say anything about you getting paid for your work.

For reference, the "Otacool 1 and 2" books he mentioned are two picture books that he published. The details of both of those are here:

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25279/Otacool.html
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25358/Otacool+2+Submissions+Open.html

These two books--the site promises a third in the works--were labeled "consumer generated media" and came about by the following process:
  • You send Danny Choo your photographs in high resolution with no watermarks [because a watermark implies someone else owns it]
  • Danny Choo compiles the images and releases the book. In exchange, you get no monetary compensation...but he does!
  • Oh yeah, the book needs other artwork too! Well, if you just send in your artwork and character designs for it..."your character design will likely gain popularity throughout the otakusphere globally - meaning that once your work has been recognized, you should expect more commission work especially from Japanese companies."

Do you see the pattern here? He has released books for which other people took the photographs and did the artwork for without being paid to do so, on the promise that doing so is a way to get your foot into the Japanese anime/manga industry. The majority of the actual WORK was not done by him, yet he gets the actual money and can now market himself to the public as a published author. This helps establish a media narrative that he is an credible authority figure. Now he is doing work on an animated series for which some unspecified portion of it is going to be produced in similar fashion. Should that come to pass, he will then be able to market himself as a producer and bona fide member of the anime industry. He'll also be the one collecting the profits on the merchandising and DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

As Levar Burton famously said, you don't have to take MY word for it. Go actually click on those links. Read them yourself. Don't just skim. Then read the other portions of his site related to how he also wants 3D modelers. Notice how none of these "job listings" make any mention of salary, hourly wage, or benefits. Notice that they don't even imply that such things exist and just aren't listed on the page. It's not that I am fundamentally opposed to doing work without pay on certain projects. But if I'm not getting paid for a project, then nobody had better be getting paid. If a small group of people at the top are collecting a check off of the efforts of unpaid volunteers, that to me is exploitation.

Danny Choo is a master of commercial marketing and promotion with easy access to people who've made millions of dollars in the culture/fashion industry. He knows exactly what he is doing. He himself is quite well-off in his own right, and he knows that there are tons of people whose dream it is to work in Japan. He is nefariously taking advantage of these people while simultaneously convincing them all that he's really just doing them a favor. To achieve this, he romanticizes Japan as an otaku Mecca, then sells people on that image. "I'm the nerd living his dream as a Stormtrooper in Japan...AND YOU CAN TOO! Keep reading to find out how!" Everyone who ever was a hard-line pusher of the "Cool Japan" narrative has been someone who's got a book to sell or some other such product.

I'm let down that this interview made no attempt whatsoever to directly confront Danny on these concerns. Granted, his marketing and PR acumen is at a level not typically seen in the US anime industry (Tokyopop's the closest to emulating his methods), and so he would undoubtedly expertly deflect the question with a non-answer. But I do feel this is a legitimate concern people need to bring up more when discussing Danny Choo.

Maybe those FANS send him their works out of their APPRECIATION. I mean just like some websites ask for donation from their visitors. As someone who frequently visits and enjoy the pretty photos on his site I would like to give something in return. I don't see anything wrong with that.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey... all this talk about possible shadiness in the otaku community is kinda tasty; I didn't even hear about this dude up until I peeked into this thread.

Is this what it feels like when people watch news about which celebrity is going out with which?
a1m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dark_hand wrote:

Maybe those FANS send him their works out of their APPRECIATION. I mean just like some websites ask for donation from their visitors. As someone who frequently visits and enjoy the pretty photos on his site I would like to give something in return. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Most of the people "helping" don't even realize the matter.

I visit Danny's page every now and then and I do enjoy some of the stories and photos but it still kind of makes me irritated how he "gives" you these images of living in Japan is super easy and fun and doing otaku stuff for living etc. He probably does share the hardships too but still, he knows what he's doing.

E: Not trying to spread hatred or anything.

E2: And hi to everyone. I'm a frequent visitor @ ANN but never registered until now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4