• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Age Rating

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 1 of Konjiki no Gash Bell!!, I'm gonna have to give the show a Teenagers rating due to frontal nudity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
Talk about inconsistencies. Manga Entertainment's Guyver boxed set has the generic 13-Up sticker on the front and a "Suggested for 17 and older" label on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
If you see Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu at your local video store, you'll notice that it's been given a TV-PG rating. This rating is incorrect, especially on the episodes featuring Teletha and the final episode. Fumoffu should have a TV-14 rating instead.
DCR

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
About Grave of fireflies, Studio Ghibli is doing anime for childs. Miyazaki seems hating anime that are not for childs, so I don't see his studio making a film for adults.

I have doubts about Mononoke (too complex for kids, but Miyazaki clearly said he wanted them to see it, that's why there was not sex considerations between San and Ashitaka-he said, since I doubt he is abble do talk about sex in his works) but I think Grave of Fireflies is one of the child must see anime. It's hard, but you can't learn kids about war if you don't show them something.
red stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Examples of Titles Rated Too Low
1. Cowboy Bebop (13-Up) - Many episodes contain too much violence and blood for its rating. One episode even has spoiler[a suggestive homosexual sex scene].
I agree that Bebop should be rated higher (15+ at least) I have no idea why you used spoiler tags for that particular scene.
areaseven wrote:
2. Grave of the Fireflies (3-Up) - This was never intended to be a children's anime film, as it contains many scenes of death.
Again, I agree. I want my neice and nephew to see this film, but I'm not going to show them until they are at least 12 or 13. I think any kid under 6 would just be scared and confused by the film.
areaseven wrote:
The best way to determine a title's proper rating is by viewing it yourself.
And on that note...

Why don't you do Age Ratings like you do the "Quality" ratings? You, know, put a drop down menu with a bunch of age ratings (3+, 13+ 15+, etc...) and allow people who've seen the film to choose. The results can be posted in a graph similar to the one for quality rating, so people can see "Oh, most people though Grave Of The Fireflies was for 13 +, but some thing it should be rated higher.".
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DCR wrote:
About Grave of fireflies, Studio Ghibli is doing anime for childs. Miyazaki seems hating anime that are not for childs, so I don't see his studio making a film for adults.

I have doubts about Mononoke (too complex for kids, but Miyazaki clearly said he wanted them to see it, that's why there was not sex considerations between San and Ashitaka-he said, since I doubt he is abble do talk about sex in his works) but I think Grave of Fireflies is one of the child must see anime. It's hard, but you can't learn kids about war if you don't show them something.

Er... but many parents won't think that way. I wouldn't have a 5-year-old watch this movie -- heck, the emotional intensity of this video is a little much even for older viewers.

It's better to show them Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind if you want to give them a lesson about war and differences between people and nations.
Jkid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think age ratings should be applied to works as a whole, not due to one scene.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Time for a judgment call:

Karas has been listed by Manga Entertainment as Unrated. The box cover, however, does not have any parental warnings printed on it. For anyone who has seen this anime, what is the appropriate age rating?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Karas has been listed by Manga Entertainment as Unrated. The box cover, however, does not have any parental warnings printed on it. For anyone who has seen this anime, what is the appropriate age rating?

I've watched its promotional trailer. Lots of actions, monster-killings, and probably spoiler[conspiracies], but I didn't see that disemboweled human corpse mentioned by a police officer in that trailer. No nudity at all. I'd say "teen" should work fine, unless there are some gruesome blood and gore or more explicit nudity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I've watched its promotional trailer. Lots of actions, monster-killings, and probably spoiler[conspiracies], but I didn't see that disemboweled human corpse mentioned by a police officer in that trailer. No nudity at all. I'd say "teen" should work fine, unless there are some gruesome blood and gore or more explicit nudity.

I guess I'll rent it this week and post the appropriate age rating by Friday.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
[You've already made a separate thread for it. This is just spamming. -Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
[You've already made a separate thread for it. This is just spamming. -Nagi]

As Homer Simpson always says...

"Doh!"
barfing_bunnies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
By default, only Encyclopedia Staff members can enter age ratings for anime and manga titles. However, you can help by either suggesting an age rating or reporting one that's incorrect. Simply submit an Error Report and, if possible, explain why the title should be given the specific rating.

Keep in mind that the age rating labels on the back of the video cover may not be 100% accurate. Many titles have been rated either lower or higher than their actual content.

Examples of Titles Rated Too Low
1. Cowboy Bebop (13-Up) - Many episodes contain too much violence and blood for its rating. One episode even has spoiler[a suggestive homosexual sex scene].
2. Grave of the Fireflies (3-Up) - This was never intended to be a children's anime film, as it contains many scenes of death.
3. Bubblegum Crisis (13+) - Way too low, especially with its bloody content and very strong language.
4. Gravion (13+) - Too much T&A should give it a least a 15+ rating instead of what ADV suggests.
5. Magic Knight Rayearth (Y+) - The violence level is beyond that age rating.

Examples of Titles Rated Too High
1. Sailor Moon (15+) - Yes, there are some suggestive themes to the series, but not enough for such a rating. Should be around 12+.

The best way to determine a title's proper rating is by viewing it yourself.

I think Neon Genesis Evangelion needs to be moved up to a mature rating instead of teen. Some examples that were given to be categorised as mature are sex, drugs, extreme violence. I know that it has bloody violence, nudity, language, but there have been more NGE episodes rated as TV-MA than Samurai Champloo and that's been rated as a mature series, and I don't recall that on the AS run having alot of edits besides the censoring of words (NGE also had censored words and little editting).
Some examples of content to be taken into consideration for NGE:

Sex: There are several references to Misato and Kaji's sexual relationship throughout the series--In episode 20, spoiler[Kaji and Misato are having sex (not shown) , but from the dialogue, you can tell that Kaji is "inside of Misato" by her saying "Don't think doing that will calm me down" or something in the context of that ]. spoiler[ Asuka also makes remarks to Shinji being a pervert like, "Don't sit on my lap, pervert!" (ep 8), and him kissing her while she was asleep in episode 8/9 (I forgot which one Anime hyper ; but that's more sensual than sexual). Some other sexaul themes are in episode 10 when Shinji's looking at Asuka's chest while she explains a math problem to him (still sensual, InuYasha's rated teen and Miroku does gestures such as that); in the last episode, when Shinji is in the "supposed reality" he refers to "Are all girls like this when they have periods?" and from the dialogue when Asuka wakes him up, she seems to be on top of him or what was noted as "riding" him; I also think that the whole theme of birth/creation (in relation to Adam to clarify this) would be marked as "sexual" if you had to put it under mature content such as Rei being the soul of Lilith and Kaworu being the soul of Adam (they'e both actually asexual); Rei is also spoiler[partially fused with Shinji because of Arismael (since the series uses biblical influences, it's been noted from it the quote wants to become one with", a biblical reference for having sex; see Genesis 2:24)] ]

Drugs: We cannot forget about Misato's binge drinking expressed throughout the series, Kaji and Misato also spoiler[smoke] as well.

Violence: spoiler[Eva-01 literally eats Zeruel in episode 19; in episode 18, when the dummy plug is turned on, Eva-01 basically rips Bardiel (disquised as unit 03) apart, leaving blood all over the city and Shinji destroys Toji's entry plug]; the psychological trauma also added to the violence and could be categorised as violence.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
barfing_bunnies wrote:
I think Neon Genesis Evangelion needs to be moved up to a mature rating instead of teen.

Couldn’t all of the things you mentioned be found in a PG-13 movie, though? Like…a movie suitable for teens? I’d say the consumption of alcohol or some only mildly perverted stuff going on hardly warrants a mature rating. If that were the case, the encyclopedia would have to list every harem, shoujo/shounen-ai, or otherwise fanservice-filled series as mature.

I think ANN needs to re-think their age rating definitions, maybe taking a cue from movie ratings or something similar. Anime that don’t really deserve a high age rating get one quite often, and anime that really should have one often don’t.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

I think ANN needs to re-think their age rating definitions, maybe taking a cue from movie ratings or something similar. Anime that don’t really deserve a high age rating get one quite often, and anime that really should have one often don’t.

See Dan's post on the last page (here).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16