• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Age Rating

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
What!? How is that even relevant, and who is it going to support? Besides no one I know speaks Chinese, maybe Mandarin or Cantonese...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
What!? How is that even relevant, and who is it going to support?

You'd better give me a very good explanation on what you mean.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
What!? Who are you to demand an explanation? Your ego is out of control boy, you better check yourself.

Why should a Mandarin language support be prioritized before an Age Rating sorting function? Isn't it the business model of this website to provide users with the most anime information, with high accuracy, and easy access with a wide array of sorting options? Then shouldn't expanding into other languages be secondary to perfecting the site?

But I digress, you are probably going to say that you have been bitching longer about it then anyone else so it should take priority or something like that, but it won't matter how many language supports ANN carries if it can't provide users with an easy to navigate encyclopedia.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Besides no one I know speaks Chinese, maybe Mandarin or Cantonese...

And ANN was created entirely for you and your friends only I suppose.

ShadowTrader wrote:
Why should a Mandarin language support be prioritized before an Age Rating sorting function? Isn't it the business model of this website to provide users with the most anime information, with high accuracy, and easy access with a wide array of sorting options? Then shouldn't expanding into other languages be secondary to perfecting the site?

If more Asians contributedas much as him, this website could be getting much closer to this so called "perfection".
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
What!? Who are you to demand an explanation?

He's our most valuable contributor, and a 'senior' encylopedia staff member. He knows ANN better than you will ever do. And he's never been 'bitching' about his request anyway. Instead of bullying everybody, you'd better explain your point politely.

ShadowTrader wrote:
Why should a Mandarin language support be prioritized before an Age Rating sorting function?

Did you mean Mandarin or Chinese ? And why shouldn't it ?

ShadowTrader wrote:
Isn't it the business model of this website to provide users with the most anime information.

What do you know about the business model ? The language option is valuable information. And the age rating won't help you choosing new series, since a listing of 'appropriate anime' will contain mostly series which are not available in the USA. And last, many series don't have an age rating (yet), so as long as they're not filled in, the search option is pretty useless.
Now that you mention it, you want to have an age rating sorting function, but you haven't contributed one age rating in the encyclopedia yourself. In fact, you still haven't contributed anything on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Dont' blame me, I tried to contribute, but every time I tried to add an age rating for the anime I've seen I was asked for a source and it wouldn't submit without it. I would gladly help fill in age ratings if it could be easily done without sources.

I appreciate the fact that he is a "senior" staff member but in the real world he is no one, and I do not owe him any explanations, if he does not know how to properly address people.

The language option is not as valuable as the age sorting function! It doesn't matter if it is not available in the USA I can still watch it. You can try to discredit my opinion by saying stupid things like "you still haven't contributed anything on this site" and using ad hominem attacks, but it won't change the fact that it is still a credible suggestion and it would greatly help the site become more user friendly when in fact the age rating becomes a standard on all the Anime listed in the encyclopedia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Why should a Mandarin language support be prioritized before an Age Rating sorting function?

Good, so let's talk about business.

When I first started conducting several interviews in the past on behalf of ANN, some local licensee didn't even know what ANN was. I explained that ANN has been the largest anime-themed news website in the world, particularly in English-speaking countries.

Licensee PR representative: "English? So your entire website is written in English?"

Dormcat: "Yes. As an international website that serves over 200K users around the globe -- including many from countries that you'd least expect -- it has to be written in English."

PR rep: "Do you have a Chinese language option for the website?"

D: "Em, not at this moment."

PR rep: "I see you being an Encyclopedia Editor. How about at least having the Chinese option for the Encyclopedia?"

D: "(Really, really embarrassed now) em, well, I have been asking our administrators for years, but I believe that they have their reasons and concerns."

(Ten seconds of silence)

PR rep: "Okay, I see."

And I know exactly how s/he felt, just like some of my otaku friends did: "Then what's the purpose for me to visit your website? Forget about exclusive contents from me or my company." Although s/he didn't cry out loud due to politeness.

Let's compare ANN with Gamer.com.tw, the largest gaming website in Chinese that started reporting anime-related news in 2006. Heck, I even had to teach their rookie reporters on tips and tricks of reporting. And what they've got two years later? An exclusive video interview with Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino this January! You ask me why? Because they are the #3 most visited website in Taiwan and even ranks #4712 in US (considering it's written in a foreign language, it's a remarkable achievement), while ANN doesn't even rank within #3000 in Taiwan's top sites. Furthermore, none of the Far East countries/territories (China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macao, S. Korea, and Taiwan), where anime are created as well as part of our daily lives, is among ANN's top 25 viewers!

Now that's business.

Quote:
I appreciate the fact that he is a "senior" staff member but in the real world he is no one, and I do not owe him any explanations, if he does not know how to properly address people.

Then neither do we owe you any expectation or progress report. It's reciprocal: you request politely and wait patiently, and we'll keep you updated; you keep saying that your idea is the most important, and we'll keep ignoring you.

Quote:
The language option is not as valuable as the age sorting function! It doesn't matter if it is not available in the USA I can still watch it.

It's your personal (and somewhat selfish) opinion, and unfortunately (or rather, fortunately for the rest of us) you are not the one(s) who keep the site running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Then neither do we owe you any expectation or progress report. It's reciprocal: you request politely and wait patiently, and we'll keep you updated; you keep saying that your idea is the most important, and we'll keep ignoring you.

All I did was ask politely and then you started demanding an explanation...
Also I never said it was the most important I just that it should be the primary focus and the language support should be secondary. I saw the importance of expanding the site to incorporate other languages but all I said was that in my opinion it should be done after the site becomes more user friendly with its search function.

I also don't understand your comparison to other sites. If ANN is the number one English site for anime info, then doesn't that mean that it beats out its #3 counterpart in Taiwan? Also it reports on gaming as you say and is written in Mandarin, which gives it more hits and also gives it access to 1+Billion people. I'm not really sure how thats comparable, when ANN is primarily focused on just anime. If it ranks #4712 in the US, then if ANN ranks lower then that in Taiwan wouldn't that mean that ANN is again better? You only said that it didn't rank among the top 3000 but maybe its still better then #4712. But then again even if it isn't it is still not a good comparison.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
So I was doing encyclopedia audits just now, and Kamen no Maid Guy came up for the erotica genre. I thought: Hmm, that's odd; I would have figured only AO rated series would be suggested for that genre. Turns out, Kamen no Maid Guy is rated adult only.
(Aside: interestingly, when you check "erotica" and uncheck the "adult only" rating while doing a genre search, the only result is Ryōjoku Guerrilla Kari 3 (OAV), which does have an adult only rating).

Now, this may be premature since the series isn't finished yet, but AO seems a little high of a rating for that series. Yes, it's raunchy, and Naeka's naked breasts are seen in the first episode, but I don't think I've seen anything that qualifies as explicit sexual content (and nothing yet near as bad as, say, Mnemosyne, which is only rated Mature).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
So I was doing encyclopedia audits just now, and Kamen no Maid Guy came up for the erotica genre. I thought: Hmm, that's odd; I would have figured only AO rated series would be suggested for that genre. Turns out, Kamen no Maid Guy is rated adult only.

A problem is that, age ratings (all ages, older children, teenagers, mature, adults only) were once a staff-only field, but now the "adults only" option is no longer available and has become directly linked with the "erotica" genre, where the latter can now be submitted by anyone. Rolling Eyes

I've taken the erotica genre (as well as two fan-service pictures) down, but only Dan would be able to fix the linkage problem.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Claymore (manga)

Mature, as it's pretty violent. Not as bad as some titles like Gantz, but there's a lot of blood and some dismemberment and decapitation... so yah, mature I guess. There's also a bit of nudity, though it's not very common. And you have the anime rated mature.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Claymore (manga)

Mature, as it's pretty violent. Not as bad as some titles like Gantz, but there's a lot of blood and some dismemberment and decapitation... so yah, mature I guess. There's also a bit of nudity, though it's not very common. And you have the anime rated mature.

Ehh, it could go either way. I personally think that it does get a bit on the violent side, but compared to a lot of other shonen titles out there on the manga market, it doesn't have enough to warrant it a mature rating.
Wabbit98

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
For Claymore I would say at least a mid-teenager level. Not in the mature agre rating.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Claymore (manga)

Ehh, it could go either way. I personally think that it does get a bit on the violent side, but compared to a lot of other shonen titles out there on the manga market, it doesn't have enough to warrant it a mature rating.

I don't have much experience with the way ANN does age ratings, so I was partially going on the currently accepted anime rating. If the manga gets a rating less than mature rating the anime needs to get new rating I think, as it doesn't have any worse content than the manga.

If it means anything, Viz gives the Claymore manga a 13+ to 16+, depending on the Volume, if I recall correctly.

In the end, I still think it should get a Mature rating. Even though there is far worse stuff out there, Claymore has some pretty violent scenes at times. For example: spoiler[When Clare fights Ophelia, she first gets her legs chopped off and has to reattach them. Then she later gets her arm chopped off and falls off a cliff into a river, but manages to hang onto her arm by holding it in her mouth. But after crawling out of the river, before she can reattach it, her severed arm is stabbed and then chopped into little bits. Then later Clare gets her other hand cut off.]

With the way the manga depicted it, all that's not nearly as gory as it sounds, but it's still pretty brutal. And since there's nothing inbetween Teen and Mature on this site, I'd say go with Mature for safety.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I don't have much experience with the way ANN does age ratings, so I was partially going on the currently accepted anime rating. If the manga gets a rating less than mature rating the anime needs to get new rating I think, as it doesn't have any worse content than the manga.

If it means anything, Viz gives the Claymore manga a 13+ to 16+, depending on the Volume, if I recall correctly.

In the end, I still think it should get a Mature rating. Even though there is far worse stuff out there, Claymore has some pretty violent scenes at times. For example: spoiler[When Clare fights Ophelia, she first gets her legs chopped off and has to reattach them. Then she later gets her arm chopped off and falls off a cliff into a river, but manages to hang onto her arm by holding it in her mouth. But after crawling out of the river, before she can reattach it, her severed arm is stabbed and then chopped into little bits. Then later Clare gets her other hand cut off.]

With the way the manga depicted it, all that's not nearly as gory as it sounds, but it's still pretty brutal. And since there's nothing inbetween Teen and Mature on this site, I'd say go with Mature for safety.

That would be to the discretion of the staff, but I still beg to differ on behalf of Claymore. Violence sometimes is kind of hard to differ, since violence is violence, but what makes it extreme. In the case of Claymore, there is no major depictions of gore, which is probably what people are looking at when they are trying to rate their manga. Just look at Dark Horse, they rate their extremely violent manga 18+. Not everybody's age rating is the same though, which is why the age ratings here have to cover the more broader sense of things, though age ratings may differ according to publishers. In the case of Viz, they have rated Claymore T for teens. Take a look here for their catalog. In fact, just to be sure I checked all twelve volumes. They are ALL rated T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16