• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Age Rating

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
The box set of Ueki no Housoku says that it is attended for 13-year-olds. Mabey a TA can fit this encyclopedia on Ueki no Housoku
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I question whether Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid deserves a Mature rating. I can only assume that the person who entered the age rating did so based on "extreme graphic violence." The violence in FMP! TSR really isn't any more "extreme" than in Full Metal Panic!, but FMP! only has a Teenager rating. What, exactly, constitutes "extreme graphic violence?" Also, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid OVA has a rating of Mature. First, the OVA has not yet been released to the public, so very few would currently be able to make a judgement on its content. Second, it has been revealed that the content will be a side-story based around a normal day in the life of one character. Certainly, one could not reasonably expect "sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence" here. The image used in the Encyclopedia entry is probably about as extreme as the content will be, which is still more tame than one episode of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
The box set of Ueki no Housoku says that it is attended for 13-year-olds. Mabey a TA can fit this encyclopedia on Ueki no Housoku

Age rating is for objectionable content, not intended audience
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I question whether Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid deserves a Mature rating. I can only assume that the person who entered the age rating did so based on "extreme graphic violence." The violence in FMP! TSR really isn't any more "extreme" than in Full Metal Panic!, but FMP! only has a Teenager rating. What, exactly, constitutes "extreme graphic violence?" Also, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid OVA has a rating of Mature. First, the OVA has not yet been released to the public, so very few would currently be able to make a judgement on its content. Second, it has been revealed that the content will be a side-story based around a normal day in the life of one character. Certainly, one could not reasonably expect "sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence" here. The image used in the Encyclopedia entry is probably about as extreme as the content will be, which is still more tame than one episode of Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.

I have no idea whatsoever what the staff member was thinking when he added that, but I've fixed it now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Riyousha wrote:

Age rating is for objectionable content, not intended audience

I blame the age recommendation on the back of the Law of Ueki box set. Confused

Encyclopedia on Law of Ueki wrote:
Age rating: Older Children (May contain mild bad language, bloodless violence)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Do you know what I think should be rated MA? Ghost In tHe Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The mature content in it is beyond that TA. Reason: spoiler[There's violence similar to what you might see in an R-rated movie (Including a violent scene where some dde was slitting body parts). Plus, there are some more mature themes in it like partially nude women. There is also explicit words in it like when one of the soilders says the word "S***!".] Almost half of its dubs had a TV-MA rating (ecspecially in the commercials for the show). So an MA will probably fit this page.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
After watching DBZ Movie 4: Lord Slug, I decided that it should get it's rating changed from OC to TA because spoiler[When Goku blasted through Lord Slug, purple blood flew out of him.]
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After watching DBZ Movie 4: Lord Slug, I decided that it should get it's rating changed from OC to TA because spoiler[When Goku blasted through Lord Slug, purple blood flew out of him.]

Now that is just ridiculous. It's purple, man. It probably isn't even blood, it might be cream filling. Older Children is the perfect rating for DBZ.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Older Children is the perfect rating for DBZ.

Actually, no. Many episodes are considered to be "too brutal" for such a rating. Not that there's any gore, but the fights may be too intense for younger viewers. Not to mention that the series often contains vulgar humor. Hence the TA rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Do you know what I think should be rated MA? Ghost In tHe Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The mature content in it is beyond that TA.

The individual DVD (Disc 4) was rated different from the rest by BANDAI when it was sold. The other 6 discs are a suggested rating of 13+, but Disc 4 was given a suggested rating 16+ on the box.

Also, that one episode, Jungle Cruise, is rated TV-MA (VSL) by [adult swim] when it airs and has its own special disclaimer screen before airing (instead of the usual "should not be viewed by people over the age of 14", it says "contains mature content - viewer discretion advised"). All of the other episodes of SAC are TV-14 iirc.

I would agree with you on a few of the episodes that are TV-14, though. Episode 27, for example, is a particularly brutal example that somehow still gets a TV-14 rating. Never could quite figure that out. Confused
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
As a parent, I generally prefer to anime rated on the worst aspects. If there is anything in it deserving the higher rating, it makes me more confortable to know it will be marked as such here. If there is an error, I'd rather it be for stricter ratings than the more lenient.

The reason being: I watch all anime titles before allowing my daughter to watch them. Not only am I fairly strict about what she is exposed to, my daughter is also very sensitive towards blood. Not a little, just basically drawn on, like in Spirited Away, but even mild gushing will upset her. However, I do use the ratings to give me a general idea. There is no sense in previewing a show for her that I have no interest in if it is given a mature rating. Often a description of the show can sound perfect for her until I look at the ratings. And checking the ratings of the shows I watch gives me the confidence to trust the ratings a bit.

For example, she enjoys Sailor Moon very much. I almost got the Sailor Stars for her, but after checking the rating here, I researched it to find out why. Would have never thought about it without the stricter rating here, but boy was I glad I did. I don't think my 8 yr old is ready for comments about people in bed together. She asks enough embarassing questions already.

So, although I understand the objects of others, thanks for the harder ratings, and please continue with them. Smile
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm beginning to think that Tony K. should make this thread sticky since some people are gonna wanna post here if they have problems with age ratings like me.

Anyways, ever since I watched the first episode of IGPX (season 2), I was thinking that it should be rated TA because when I was watching a scene from it, I heard the a-word be said (It was said by Liz when she was describing to Team Satome what the other teams will do to them). So I decided that IGPX will from now on get a TA because the a-word is not something you want kids saying at school.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll make this a sticky for now, unless anyone objects.

Also, you don't have to blank out your curse words. The rule for that applies more towards cursing at other users, rather than just putting it out in the open.

If you're quoting a curse word from anime or something, don't worry about it being offensive. Most people should be mature enough to handle hearing and seeing those words this day now. And no, "ass" isn't really a curse word and is not filtered out, as opposed to the f-bomb.

In other words, type all the cursing you want, just don't focus it on people you're talking to in the forums.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I guess I'll make this a sticky for now, unless anyone objects.

Most, if not all, memoranda have already been included right here, THE most important sticky thread under the Encyclopedia forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Ah, ha. I guess there's no point in stickying then, as it would just clutter all the (many) already stickied ones...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16