• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Sues Level 5, Seeks to Block Inazuma Eleven Game Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
megafilipe wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Hopefully this kills Level 5. It won't , but I still want them to stop.
well Level 5 made some of the best games ever like Dragon quest 8, and Rogue Galaxy, yeah totally want them to go down

Well I won't give them all the credit for DQVIII, because they don't deserve it. Plus I don't like DQ so this means nothing to me.

Rogue Galaxy, like pretty much all thier rpgs is style over any substance. It's a terrible game with great graphics. Really ho-hum and lame story with pretty bad gameplay that goes on far too long. It may have it's fans, but I doubt it has ever been considered a jrpg classic and for good reason.

Outside of that they have made the terribly frogetable White Knight Chronicles that did'nt even have decent graphics to make up for how medicore everything else was. Not a notable character in sight and the most boring timing based mmo like combat ever.

And Ni No Kuni is hardly anything either. Ounce you look past the great graphics you have something very vapid. Something trying to mimic a ghibli movie, but couldn't if it really tried. And jesus again the gameplay might as well not exsist thanks to how shallow and easy it is.

Lets not talk about what they did to Gundam.

I'm not the target group of IE, nor do I care about the subject material, so I've never played them. Layton is a puzzle game, so I don't care.

As an jrpg developer I find them incredibly overrated and pretty terrible. I would'nt miss them at all.

kgw wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Hopefully this kills Level 5. It won't , but I still want them to stop.

Did L5 kill your dog and burn your house? Just wondering.
No, but they have tricked me into playing their terrible jrpgs and somehow made the world believe they were hot crap. But hey these past two years have been pretty terrible for them so hopefully people start seeing them in a new light. Only other jrpg developer I hate more is Gust for peddling everything I hate about Japan, but I get that I'm just not that audience.

It's pretty crazy they basically made a Ghibli game and it somehow bombed twice.

wow just wow.. here I thought erika was bitter... wahahahhaahah

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
bradc wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Huh. I didn't know "Sega fanboy" was still a thing.

Used to. Long long time ago.... Sega no longer produce the game consoles, only as a game makers now. Suing Level 5 is such a wrong move consider new game makers are doing better than they are. Like everyone else pointed out is as stupid as Apple suing Samsung, and pay back is a bitch.

Umm..No. They aren't just making games. And they are worth $20 billion.

Sega died eons ago; at least its game console did, But the Sega games never caught up with Play Station when Dream Cast faded out of the market. It's still making money from its grave, and so it decided to sue for more. Patent copyright can last for so long,

As of August 31,2012 Sega Corporation,Inc no longer exists. They are currently Kabushiki Kaisha SEGA & have been re-organizing since January 2012.

SegaSammy Holdings, Inc which merged on 10/1/2004 will soon be dissolved since as of 2010, Sammy Corp no longer exists as a seperate entity but as a owned subsidarity of Kabushiki Kaisha Sega.

Once the split is finalized, SEGA will merge with new investment circle "Orbi Enterprises,Inc".

Orbi Enterprises has renewed SEGA's old R&D home consumer hardware division "Away 27" & has provided $10 billion in loans for Franchising partnerships in markets OUTSIDE of gaming expected to be paid off by 2027.

SEGA currently has $3.5 billion in cash earned by almost 4 straight years of strong revenue totalling $12 billion 2009-2012. If the company earns $6 billion in
revenue for FYI 2012 they'll have $5 billion. Get rid of "Gameworks,Inc", another $5 billion with $10.2 billion in cash.

SEGA's profit & revenue has come from the following markets outside of 3rd party console games: Arcades,Toys,Licensing,Amusement Parks,Merchindising,Panchiko,PC games,Toy Vending Machines,DLC & Portable gaming
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
No, but they have tricked me into playing their terrible jrpgs and somehow made the world believe they were hot crap. But hey these past two years have been pretty terrible for them so hopefully people start seeing them in a new light. Only other jrpg developer I hate more is Gust for peddling everything I hate about Japan, but I get that I'm just not that audience.

So, instead of killing your dog, they made games everybody liked but you... and Gust made games not for you. I think that sums it all up.
Everybody? I actually think when it comes to liking Level 5's rpgs like Rogue Galaxy, WKC, and Ni No Kuni, I'm not sure the consensus is "everybody likes them". WKC is'nt popular and it sure is'nt seen as some underrated classic. Ni No Kuni is a bomb and even those that bothered to pick it up's opinion is in the air. And Rogue Galaxy is not remembered anywhere near some of PS2's bests.

The only real Level 5 rpgs you can claim anything close to universal acclaim is Dark Cloud 2 and DQVIII, but DQVIII would have been good without them.

But you're right, they made games other people like, that I hate. It's called opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
The newest development in this case is Level-5's statement that the first Inazuma Eleven game came out in 2008, but Sega's first patent was granted in 2009, and so they do not believe there is any violation. In addition, such a use has gained widespread use throughout the industry and so the lawsuit could restrict game developers. That's why Level-5 intends to fight it out in court.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, let's see how this will end up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
The newest development in this case is Level-5's statement that the first Inazuma Eleven game came out in 2008, but Sega's first patent was granted in 2009, and so they do not believe there is any violation. In addition, such a use has gained widespread use throughout the industry and so the lawsuit could restrict game developers. That's why Level-5 intends to fight it out in court.

Level 5 could be in for a nasty surprise. SEGA has not filed any software patents since 2005. The date alleged by SEGA.

When a SEGA patent is issued, keep in mind the filing date is usually 4 years before issuesance. The issue date is not revelant to the fact that the filing date is several years before. Example:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8172678.pdf

My advice to Level 5: Please don't fight this. You'll lose.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
If they don't, they loose the IE games and sega gets away with patent trolling.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It'll get settled out of court.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope not; anything less than Sega's patent being overturned gives them carte blanche to go after a huge swath of touchscreen games.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It'll get settled out of court.

A settlement would result in both SEGA and Level 5 paying $6 million in a co-licensing deal giving SEGA sole publishing rights to the games.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting, unless nothing really happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4