• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime and Life!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazuright

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
You know, i watch anime with a thirst and hunger. Anime has become such a huge part of my life i can't see what i'd be like without it. Which brings up my topic.

Who out there, sets their limits by the anime they watch?

How many of you out there watch an anime and you think to yourself, "...I wish i could do that." , "...I wish i was like that." or "...I wish that would happen to me."

What i'm really trying to ask is, How many of you want to make your lives 'Anime' like? And from what anime?

For me i guess it would be...Hmmm...I don't know! I guess like Golden Boy would be Fun! Ha! HA! Very Happy
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
I don't necessarily try to mimic my life after certain lifestyles I see in anime, that's just daydreaming and should be left outside of reality since it is fiction. But I do, however, like to learn things in terms of life lessons and morals (a la "slice of life" shows).

I also find certain character personalites intersting as well, and if I like that character enough, I may try to learn a thing or two from the way they act and apply it to real life situations.

Not that I'd seriously try to take on a gang of thugs with a sakabattou, mind you, but I'd take into heart the smaller things like not losing your cool when being encountered with large and tiresome tasks or not showing your anger publicly (like Lafiel from the Sekai series).

I sometimes view these characteristics in anime as something I could use to better myself in the long run, but whether I'm able to stick to it is another matter.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that'd be cool. Because somehow, in the couple of years since I finished school, my life has became just like Seinfeld reruns. Amusing, but disappointing. Rolling Eyes
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How many of you out there watch an anime and you think to yourself, "...I wish i could do that." , "...I wish i was like that." or "...I wish that would happen to me."

What i'm really trying to ask is, How many of you want to make your lives 'Anime' like? And from what anime?

When it comes to stuff I take out of anime, I'm easily a pushover.
I impulsively changed my major to Aerospace Engineering after watching Stellvia, I learned breadmaking after watching Yakitate, learned how to play Go after watching Hikaru no Go, and learned more about cars after watching Initial D.

But, if you look at it all, it's all real (except for Stellvia). I take things from anime and try to appreciate what they are in real life. I don't play Go anymore, since it turned out to be much more complicated than I expected, and I didn't have a desire to pursue formal teaching.

I think it's bad to just wish you were in anime world (because man, how I'd love to just move into some random house with several hot girls all secretly wanting me), but rather, to try and apply things you like (or even dislike) about shows to real life.

And of course, sometimes it's just good to sit back and be entertained.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Wanting to make your life more "anime-like" leads to serious problems. Most anime are just not possible; no matter how much I might want to be an ultrcool cowboy bounty hunter roaming the solar system of the future, it aint gonna happen. Or I might hope to have a house full of hot women going after me, but again aint happening. I remember I did dye my hair green joking that it was my new "anime hair," but there was no particular show that inspired me to do that. I started playing Go after seeing it in A Beautiful Mind, long before I ever watched Hikaru no Go, so I can't claim an anime connection there either. Surprised
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen pictures of cosplayers? They look freaking rediculous and some look scary. If that's how anime character would look in real life, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

I figure most anime fans live lame boring lives (anti-social) so they wish they can live another life. Cosplayer know what I'm talking about.

Wink
SamuraiBebop713

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish life was like a Gundam show. I mean, who doesn't want to run around in a giant robot? If you say you don't, then you're lying, and I'll crush you with my giant robot.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I would love it if I one day woke up in the Evangelion world approximately a couple of years before the events of the television show. Ideally I would be about the age of Shinji but retain all my knowledge and character. Then using my vast knowledge of future event I would form alliances with several characters from the show and be granted an audience with SELEE. Then I would wow them by claiming to be a prophet with detailed knowledge about future events which their dusty old Dead Sea Scrolls don't contain.

By carefully only feeding them just enough truth to wet their appetites I will draw them a gloomy picture of future events that will eventually lead to them failing in the realisation of their plans. Then I will demand a powerful position in NERV, possibly replacing Gendo whom I will name as a traitor and culprit of their ultimate doom. Bada bim bada boom, and I will have gained control of NERV and the EVA series. Then I will further conspire with some carefully selected NERV personal to bring down SELEE and stop third impact from ever happening. Also as a service to the many fans who complain that Shinji is a spineless whiny brat, I will slap him around a couple of times, tell him to get a hold of himself and help then help him grow a backbone. And as a last thing, I will hit on Ayanami a lot.

Basically I would be a amalgam of Gendo and Kaji just that I would constantly be chasing Rei’s tail.

Also it would be cool if I have some of those mad anime magic powers; can’t go wrong with magic.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Lazuright wrote:
You know, i watch anime with a thirst and hunger. Anime has become such a huge part of my life i can't see what i'd be like without it. Which brings up my topic.

Who out there, sets their limits by the anime they watch?

For me i guess it would be...Hmmm...I don't know! I guess like Golden Boy would be Fun! Ha! HA! Very Happy

Um.....

Seek help. Now
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I always view my anime as a nice diversion from my own reality that, from time to time, can have some helpful advice that i can use in life. Never have i thought that i would want to become an anime character nor would i want to think that way. Just thinking of the stress, pain, and pressure that the protagonist endure is enough to dissuade any thoughts making an anime out of my life. Sure, the life of most anime characters is often portrayed as being glorious in some way or another but looking at it realistically, their lives just arent that pretty. Now, this does not mean that i haven't looked at kenshin and said "man he's just a cool guy". Lets face it, a guy with kenshin's attitude, conviction and, not to mention, his sword skill is always admirable but i personally couldnt deal with the life threatening situations that Kenshin constantly puts himself in.
philg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
I understand what you mean and I agree, anime has become quite a large part of my life now and it's what I use as a relief out of reality basically... even though I haven't seen THAT many series as most people who post here have. It's hard for me to try and make my life as close to an anime as possible because most of my friends aren't accepting or interesting in anime. But it's getting quite sad (as most people would look at it, I think it's kinda cool Embarassed ) but when I look at someone I could see their anime character and how they'd be drawn and what emotions would be put into them. If I was to be 'an anime' I'd love to be Keitaro or Tenchi haha [i wonder why?? Rolling Eyes ]...
And i do agree with Mitsuhide A. I wouldn't choose to become an anime character, most of the time the protagonist has too many issues to handle. But I'd love to be able to steal characteristics or personalities of characters like Himura for example, or even Sanosuke... because some characters are just downright cool! Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
But I do, however, like to learn things in terms of life lessons and morals (a la "slice of life" shows).
I also find certain character personalites intersting as well, and if I like that character enough, I may try to learn a thing or two from the way they act and apply it to real life situations.

I do this as well. If I connect enough to characters in a certain show--if they're well-written and fleshed out enough so I begin to think of them a little more as people as opposed to characters acting out a pre-conceived drama--I usually stumble upon one or two who have personality traits I genuinely admire.

If I were able to sculpt my personality in any way I choose--without the constraints of doubt, timidity, trepidation, and other natural barriers to my development as a person--I would strive to gain the ambition of Kare Kano's Yukino, the compassion and understanding of Arjuna's Juna or Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and the confidence of Shoujo Kakumei Utena's Utena. Heck, I strive to gain these traits right now anyway.

I've never desired anime characters' physical traits, though (darkhunter's totally right--it would be really creepy!), and most of their lives are so nerve-racking I would never wish that kind of a hassle on myself (I mean, the threat of constant danger must take its toll on the mind sometime, right? Wink).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tenchidragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I know this sounds weired but I would love to be Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo!If i could pick from all of those women i would pick Mihoshi.

Or Sousake from Full Metal Panic.All that action in my life would be sweet.I like your topic but i never thought of it before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Everyone would always like to be in another universe, where things are a lot more exciting. As for Anime characters, like someone already mentioned, there lives are way too dramatic for my liking.

Plus of course being in Anime is going to seem appealing, they dont write Anime or Mangas to be boring, like Star Wars, if Luke stayed on the farm the whole movie, nobody would like it. I think everybody just wishes there life was interesting enough to be a movie, show, book, etc.

If most people were put into an Anime, they would be the generic person that you know is going to die, that they dont even bother to even tell you there name or maybe even there face, maybe you will just be another Zaku pilot killed by the Gundam, or a NERV employee who just sits at a workstation.

The morals and lessons taught in Anime are great if you can apply them to your own lives, but as far as living your life like one, it would be nice, until you wake up.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think everybody just wishes there life was interesting enough to be a movie, show, book, etc.

It's almost as if you stole the words right out of my mouth.

For me, anime is art, something I enjoy watching and supporting, instead of the mainstream garbage thrown at us by Hollywood. Sure, I'd love to be a bounty hunter roaming the solar system, a member of Section 9, a master swordsman, or even a Vanship pilot, but then I think I'd be taking anime for more than what it is, entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2