• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Physics: Nosebleeds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
News? Who knows if ANN does more articles that fanblog or wiki quality. We might start to be able to speculate and start a rumor-mill threads.
Hooray!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Did episode 4 of FLCL have the first-ever sexy-induced female nosebleeds?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Please ANN, stick to news.

Don't read it if you're not interested in fluff. There's no reduction in news coverage as a result of such articles as this, so that content will not change or be effected in any way. This is just a minor lighthearted bit thrown in to the mix, but you're not required to read it if you are only interested in news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Duly noted for the next fluff article. This one however I can't unread. So opinions away.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Please ANN, stick to news.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Also, apparently unlike most everyone else here, I dig the Interest articles. They create an air of comfort and relaxation unlike the rest of the talkback threads that can turn into flame wars at the drop of a hat. Keep up the good work Gia.

I agree. These articles may not make a lot of sense, sometimes, and they may occasionally be a little silly, but they are entertaining.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Did episode 4 of FLCL have the first-ever sexy-induced female nosebleeds?

Yes. Yes it did ^^
I remember when the group of girls got a nosebleed after Nao 'swung his bat'!! Smile
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Maybe in Japan there is a severe lack of iron in the diet and sudden oncoming of stress or hypertension results in nosebleeds.

That happened to me a lot when I was a kid. Not the stress part, but the nosebleed part.

This reminds me of how everyone seems to get "anemia" when they need to go to the school nurse's room to lie down or get sent to the hospital in anime and jdramas. Another science/physics topic! Or not...
yblees

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Ok.
Now I want an explanation about blood types,
shrine maidens,
if goldfish can really be caught in tissue paper nets,
and whether modern high school kids really wear hakama to all those club activities.
Laughing
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
Ok.
Now I want an explanation about blood types,
shrine maidens,
if goldfish can really be caught in tissue paper nets,
and whether modern high school kids really wear hakama to all those club activities.
Laughing

Here here! Add sustaining the Human body on a single piece of toast before lunch, how being wet will make you catch a cold, and the nutritional value of Yakisoba Bread to that list!

I was told that Japanese mothers told their children that if they had ecchi thoughts they would get a nose bleed kind of like how some tell there children that if they go swimming less that 30min after eating they will get cramps...
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
3mapletrees wrote:
Gasero wrote:
Maybe in Japan there is a severe lack of iron in the diet and sudden oncoming of stress or hypertension results in nosebleeds.

That happened to me a lot when I was a kid. Not the stress part, but the nosebleed part.

This reminds me of how everyone seems to get "anemia" when they need to go to the school nurse's room to lie down or get sent to the hospital in anime and jdramas. Another science/physics topic! Or not...

Anemia actually IS really prevalent in Japan, apparently. Lack of red meat? Anyway, they take it seriously, too. My students, especially the girls, were always woozy and had to take iron supplements and were always going to the doctor for it. When they found out that I'm anemic too they were all worried, but in my experience it was always a *shrug* so what? kind of thing.
Quelamune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed so many people seem to have be having issues with this.

Its a fun article, was it even ment as anything more?

For me, it was a brief interlude of laughter in what was otherwise a rather boring, humdrum day. So IMO ANN, keep it up!

(btw, physics is actually quite a generalization... encompassing many different scientific avenues... including to some degree chemistry and biology. I believe nosebleeds can fall under both of those headings. And thats before you take into account we're talking about something FICTIONAL, re. article title)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
these new features are... um... not what I had hoped for?

Well, this was bound to be talked about eventually. However, for the most part (with the exception of some slice of life shows) anime isn't realistic.

And that is how it should be. The main character getting a nose bleed is an old traditional means of comedy, means of enhancing the moment or just for the sake of a nosebleed scene.

This is fairly common in manga and has happened for as at least two decades now. Love Hina, Hare and Guu, saber marionette j, A.L Love you, Maria Holic, Rossario Vampire, Cyborg Grandpa G and several other titles.

Is it as original and fresh as it was years-decades ago, not really. Can it be rationally explained? I am sure it can, but it'll be long conversation. Heck, even I don't know where to begin.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
I've always disliked the use of nosebleeds to show sexual arousal in anime for the obvious fact that it makes no sense.

Just wanted to let my opinion be known.

Well the fact that some of us, including me, have had sudden nosebleeds when we were younger as mentioned earlier from stress, hypertension, warm weather, playing, whatever biological cause does lend a bit of credence to the idea. The mythical part of the trope is that it occurs mostly from sexual arousal.. but again, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen occasionally to some usually younger people in those situations
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
The thing people are conflating here is "Anime common sense" vs. "Anime Physics"...

Things like catching a cold if you get wet, noosebleeds when being aroused, Running to school late with a piece of toast in your mouth etc... are the former. They are things that you see portrayed all the time in anime that may or may not be true in real life.

The thing that "XXXX Physics" usually refers to is when something is portrayed that is impossible or never seen in real life, like super powers or giant robots or high speed transmission or spaceships.

They are really two entirely different kind of fluff pieces. Is it that hard to understand the difference?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5