• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Physics: Nosebleeds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
I am not pleased with the presence of this article. If I wanted this sort of thing I'd go to TVTropes. I come here for the news.
CG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is quite bothersome to mix feature articles like this with News items. Perhaps, the items could be categorized by type?

And I thought the effect came from the belief that as one is embarrassed, blood rises to the face. thus causing blushing.

For example: Embarassed

With the sexy situation, it is believed that the amount of blood also increases, so much so that it comes out.

(hey, you think there's a nosebleed emoticon?)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned before, no one forces anyone to read these articles. If you're not interested in the news then simply read the news. If you go to animenewsnetwork.com/news/ you'll find this type of article absent, and articles categorized as news will only appear. Also, the blue icons indicate news article while the magenta(purplish) icons represent interest articles such as this. If you click on one of the blue icons it will also take you to the news page that only shows news articles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
RiskyTheShinigami wrote:
I am not pleased with the presence of this article. If I wanted this sort of thing I'd go to TVTropes. I come here for the news.

Hate to admit it, but same here. It's a decent article, but to be honest, there is a dozen and one places that talk about this topic as well.

It's good that ANN is becoming more modern, but I really don't think this is at all news worthy to be honest. This topic has been discussed in forums, emails, manga, anime, websites and other places.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Is it as original and fresh as it was years-decades ago, not really. Can it be rationally explained? I am sure it can, but it'll be long conversation. Heck, even I don't know where to begin.

A long conversation with who?

Kid A: Why did anime dood get a nosebleed from seeing anime chick?
Kid Ω: 'cause that dood thinks the chick is hawt.
Kid A: but when I see hawt chicks my nose doesn't bleed.
Kid Ω: In anime that is just a sight gag. You know like how in those old Looney Toon cartoons where their eyes would turn to telescopes when seeing a hawt chick,...like that.
Kid A: Yeah my eyes never turn to telescopes either. Cartoons are cool.
Kid Ω: Indeed they are.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
This really isn't about an anime convention so much as it is busting bit of Japanese folklore which anime writers have included in their works.

It's sort of like how we say, "God bless you." when someone sneezes due to the old belief that your soul starts to come out of your body when you sneeze: saying "(God) bless you!" keeps the soul where it belongs! If cartoon writers incorporated that idea in their works, then you might see people's souls start to leave their bodies every time someone sneezed, but the *idea* wouldn't have originated with them anymore than the nosebleed idea originated with anime writers.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Next week:

"Anime Physics: Super Deformed

Do people really become weird blobby versions of themselves whenever something funny or embarrassing happens the way they do in anime?!"
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
CG wrote:
Yes, it is quite bothersome to mix feature articles like this with News items. Perhaps, the items could be categorized by type?

It is categorized ... its got the interest "star" icon instead of the news "I don't know what it is, a Zenn Diagram maybe?" icon, so we'll know its not news ...

... and you'll not see it at www,animenewsnetwork.com/news while you will see it at animenewsnetwork.com/interest ...

If you don't want the interest stories, add "/news" to your ANN bookmark URL.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Next week:

"Anime Physics: Super Deformed

Do people really become weird blobby versions of themselves whenever something funny or embarrassing happens the way they do in anime?!"

'Twould be fun topic, simply as I'd like to see someone come up with a plausible explanation for SD in real life. Hopefully the next week after would cover the topic of:

"Anime Physics: Sneezing in the Rain;

Watch as these lovely Anime maidens race one another to see who can sneeze the fastest after getting wet. Bonus points if there is a rapid onset of fever."

Those Japanese and their laughably weak immune systems . . .
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I fail to see how this has anything to do with Physics.

May I refer you here: http://xkcd.com/435/
:p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Acinom wrote:
Although one could debate that biology is just an impure form of physics

Such debates, viz. debates arguing for scientific reductionism, are often vague in crucial respects. One must explicitly state what it is within one set of scientific concepts that is being reduced to another. Granting the literal existence of the entities postulated by physics, one might begrudgingly grant that an ontological reduction from any physical science to physics — i.e. a reduction of postulated entities and their mechanisms — is warranted.

However, the same cannot be so easily said about the tenability of reducing any set of putative scientific knowledge into knowledge of physics, nor can it be said regarding the reduction of any methodological practices into practices of physics. (I dare say that semiotic matters underlie these two notions of reduction somewhat, but such matters do not fall within my area of expertise.) If I may be so bold as to suggest this, it does not appear that the author of the cartoon strip is concerned by the distinction between these modes of reducing.

Historians of science may point out that my hesitation to grant the viability of such reduction in toto would not have been commonplace in past eras, but one cannot deny that "physics" has recently come to refer to practices, axioms, terms and postulated entities of a sort that is somewhat separable from other fields of natural enquiry. Metaphysics included.

It is by means of such usages, along with the reasonable objections to reductionistic programmes in general, that one might object to the term "physics" being applied in the article: the contemporary use of the word brings too narrow a set of concepts to mind. As you yourself imply, "science" is burdened with a vagueness that would perhaps have been more appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
RagingDemon wrote:
Laws of anime #40

When sexually aroused, males in Anime don't get erections, they get nosebleeds. No one's sure why this is, though... the current theory suggests that larger eyes means smaller sinuses and thinner sinus tissue. Females don't get nosebleeds, but invariably get one heck of a blush along the cheeks and across the nose, suggesting a lot of bloodflow to that region.

Actually, I'm afraid you're wrong; the females got nosebleeds at the sight of Takkun's gigantic...ummm...bat in FLCL Episode 4. But it is true that this phenomenon is a lot less common (plus Gainax is wacky!)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Surprising that this would come up as a topic for discussion. For years I never understood the whole concept behind nosebleeds in anime. As it never occurs in any type of animated feature domestic or international. So of course it would be a solely "Japanese" trope. But eventually we'd get there understanding why this happens in just about every anime in existence. Well, not the serious ones.

I'm suddenly reminded of the 5 year old girl who, (after the debut screening of 'Summer Wars') asked the director why the male lead got a nose bleed. Which was funny to me considering that all the questions asked by kids ranging from 8 and up, and adults 18 and up were complex in nature. Yet this was the one honest question that stood out like a beacon over everything else. As it's something that only an innocent child would notice. Because we're jaded now and don't think of such obvious things. The director chuckled and the interpreter's response was that of a "he's working really hard?"

And suddenly, for the first time it felt like I was learning something new.
RagingDemon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
RagingDemon wrote:
Laws of anime #40

When sexually aroused, males in Anime don't get erections, they get nosebleeds. No one's sure why this is, though... the current theory suggests that larger eyes means smaller sinuses and thinner sinus tissue. Females don't get nosebleeds, but invariably get one heck of a blush along the cheeks and across the nose, suggesting a lot of bloodflow to that region.

Actually, I'm afraid you're wrong; the females got nosebleeds at the sight of Takkun's gigantic...ummm...bat in FLCL Episode 4. But it is true that this phenomenon is a lot less common (plus Gainax is wacky!)

yeah, it is less common now Very Happy and btw i did not make that law, i just got that from the old laws of anime http://www.abcb.com/laws/index.htm way back 12 years ago!
shinkenryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
screw real physics. here is what our research in anime and forums proved:

'the human body has 500 litres of blood compressed under extremely high pressure so as to accommodate in the small volume of the body.'

proof:- the smallest cut in the hero's body results in the excretion of blood in such a high speed jet that no liquid spray can ever hope to compete. the amount of blood excreted is enough to coat the entire room in three layers of red paint.

now imagine how much self preservation and perseverance and training it takes to keep that blood from leaking out of the soft parts of the body, such as the ear, eyes or the nose.

u cant blame those guys for losing a bit of self control and rocketing off from the jet of blood extruding from their nose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5