• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Filling Seats at 87% of Ponyo's Rate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
koinosuke wrote:
It had touches of the Miyazaki magic (he wrote the script, after all)

This worries me more than anything.

So am to understand that because his last two movies have not been perceived as up to par with some of his own previous works, such as what is pretty much universally hailed as one of (if not the) greatest Japanese animated movies, Spirited Away, that Japan's most loved filmmaker's involvement in a movie is now some sort of token of bad luck? Even forgetting the 7 other films he wrote and directed that all easily rank among Japan's best, let's look at the example of Whisper of the Heart. Miyazaki wrote that one too, but a young up and coming director (the late Kondo Yoshifumi) helmed the film, and it is easily one of the studio's best. Arrietty is much like that one, with parts that have that distinct incredible use of imagination and heart that only Miyazaki tends to be able to realize, but with a fresh feel all its own.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

So am to understand that because his last two movies have not been perceived as up to par with some of his own previous works, such as what is pretty much universally hailed as one of (if not the) greatest Japanese animated movies, Spirited Away, that Japan's most loved filmmaker's involvement in a movie is now some sort of token of bad luck? Even forgetting the 7 other films he wrote and directed that all easily rank among Japan's best, let's look at the example of Whisper of the Heart. Miyazaki wrote that one too, but a young up and coming director (the late Kondo Yoshifumi) helmed the film, and it is easily one of the studio's best. Arrietty is much like that one, with parts that have that distinct incredible use of imagination and heart that only Miyazaki tends to be able to realize, but with a fresh feel all its own.

I'm saying based on the total mess that his last two scripts were - Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo, both of which were about as narratively cohesive as a knocked-over trash can - the man is not only past his prime when it comes to screenwriting, he clearly doesn't have anyone around him telling him "hey here's a hole in the script" or "add some sort of exposition here". Nobody says "no" to someone breathing his particular brand of rarified air. Which is fine, he's earned that, but as someone who has to actually sit through his new movies, I have my own set of complaints.

Make no mistake - the man is a filmmaking god and has made some of the finest animated films ever produced in the history of the medium - but everyone needs to retire sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3