• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Last Exile 1-4 (d)/ 1-26 (s)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToliverChap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy this show. Most Gonzo shows are fairly weak, this one is strong through and through. Good characters and exciting locations and action set pieces. spoiler[There is a moment in the show when airships fight like it's a hand to hand combat in an alley only it's way more awesome because it's airships. ] I only wish Gonzo made more shows this good and also that this show had a 5.1 surround mix because the sounds of the van ships in dogfights, etc. would be greatly improved with that effect.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
Nice, in my opinion Gonzo's best show. I loved it so much i marathoned it in one day and i hate marathoning shows
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
The only Gonzo series that top this one IMHO are Gankutsuou and Welcome to the NHK. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm so glad I got to finally see it when I got the DVDs, because I saw half an episode back in the day on TechTV's Anime Unleashed but never remembered the name of the series and was pleasantly surprised to finally find it by total coincidence. The Geneon artbox and all the singles were very cheap thanks to RightStuf. Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
The only Gonzo series that top this one IMHO are Gankutsuou and Welcome to the NHK.

Interestingly, I'd say that both of those shows feel very un-Gonzo. Maybe that's what makes them seem so good, especially NHK?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
ToliverChap wrote:
I only wish Gonzo made more shows this good and also that this show had a 5.1 surround mix because the sounds of the van ships in dogfights, etc. would be greatly improved with that effect.

Agreed, a very strong show and one of my favorites, it had it all. The setting and choice of time periods/styles was another aspect that was particularly well chosen and integrated.

God I loved that battle.

So true, it's totally ashame there's no 5.1 mix for this, would be an utterly awesome enhancement with so many proper and beneficial places to apply it as you say.

Also such awesome displays of Range Murata artwork in animation form Smile This show was the one that reinforced him as one of my favorite artists too, and I think Blue Sub 6 was probably my first encounter with his cool character art.

The depth to which they fully designed almost every aspect of the series more or less from the ground up is one of my favorite parts too, I really wish we had gotten to see Gonzo try their hand at a couple more of this kind of thing and more with this "team". After this it seemed like their best designers and other key staff members from this got split up between multiple projects or promoted so we never really got to seem them fully tackle another project together as they expanded and then ofcourse they got adaptation-happy as the company got bigger and more reliant on trying to score a breakout money-maker.

Speaking of the mix of originals and adaptations, I hope Manglobe gets to do another original project soon, because it's starting to feel like it's been a while since Champloo, Ergo Proxy and Michiko even though Michiko wasn't too terribly long ago...even they've been forced to start doing adaptations after starting up with several awesome originals.

I'll be double-dipping on Funi's Last Exile Blu-ray in October, that'll be a good time for a re-watch too.
matrixdude

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
That was a really good show that felt like watching NHK all over again, except with battles and ships. They started off one way and ended by returning to it. Some of the CGI was a bit awkward though, like in the races. If they made every series with this level of quality they'd be doing a lot better.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I think I'll watch this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1