• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bloody Monday Manga Creators Draw Inception Film Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Heh, if Inception is a remake, then everything is a remake. I could find similarities in anything and everything. Especially with such low standards of qualifications. Trust me. Cool

(Nah, actually my friends are more of film buffs than I am, so they'd beat me to it. Laughing )
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
chicken: My problem is that Nolan will be in the running for an Oscar long over-due to Kon, simply because he's got better connections.

mdo:
Quote:
The same thing happen when US remake Asian movie, yet nobody complain when Asia remake (or rip-off) American movie. Did you know Japan remade Sideways? Also Zhang Yimou remade Coen's Brother Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story. I have yet to hear any complaint about it.

Maybe 'cus the Asian end doesn't pretend that it's their own movie? Rolling Eyes

US has acknowleged that any remake of Asian movie will have their original sources on their credit. When the Lake House (which was a remake of a Korean film, Il Mare) was made, the credit put "based on Il Mare" on there. Asian remake can claim it's their own film too. Do you know the Korean movie, H. Why does the plot line resemble Silence of the Lamb and Seven combined and guess what it felt like this film was a rip-off of these 2, yet no western audience complain (only Asian would). Don't give me the "Asia doesn't pretend that it's their own film" logic crap. What about this Korean film? What would happen if Japan did really remake Twilight and a lot of our horror movie like Carrie, The Shining got Japanese remake, would that be OK and say "Japanese is superior, All hail Japan". You know what GATSU, how do I know you're not being a hypocrite (and also maybe a Japanese supremacist). According to your logic, we should hate Star War because Lucas according to your logic "rip-off" Kurosawa's film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I keep forgetting to mention The Cell whenever this conversation pops up...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
chicken:
Quote:
And now...because for once, it happens that he was partially correct (by mere coincidence of course)

Yeah, totally coincidental, even though it was like the [don't even think about it] a thing all over again where even American fans were pointing it out. Rolling Eyes

It's 'coincidence' because you do this all the time. You repeatedly state these wild, speculative claims as fact and for once, as it turned out what you claimed was slightly true. That doesn't mean your reasoning was in any way sound.

And of course it's American fans. As I said, the people who make this a big thing are primarily a bunch of insecure American anime nerds who like to act superior by dumping all over everything American and playing up how their own alternative hobby is better.

GATSU wrote:
I don't like him winning because of a remake.

This is where it's tough to believe you're even serious. Okay, Paprika was the inspiration for the concept of technology that let you enter dreams. Fair enough. Maybe there's even a couple brief and minor little instances where scenes or images are the same. How can you seriously leap from that to 'It's a remake'!? You completely ignore the fact that they're two totally separate movies otherwise. Paprika is about such a device used for therapy being stolen and used to make people kill themselves in real life and the protagonists trying to track this guy down and eventually this results in the dream world merging with reality. Inception however is essentially a caper movie about the act of actually manipulating people's dreams. There aren't really any major parallels between the characters. At best, Ellen Page's character is partially inspired by the main character from Paprika but then her role in the story is totally different, she's not even the main character any more. How that constitutes a 'remake' is beyond me. By that reasoning, half of all movies are remakes.
achim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
i don't really see any similarity between the 2 movies, maybe Christopher Nolan was inspired by Yasutaka Tsutsui's 1993 novel Paprika which the anime movie is an adaption of
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Inception however is essentially a caper movie about the act of actually manipulating people's dreams.

And there's no dream manipulation in Paprika?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
GATSU wrote:
chicken:
Quote:
And now...because for once, it happens that he was partially correct (by mere coincidence of course)

Yeah, totally coincidental, even though it was like the [don't even think about it] a thing all over again where even American fans were pointing it out. Rolling Eyes

It's 'coincidence' because you do this all the time. You repeatedly state these wild, speculative claims as fact and for once, as it turned out what you claimed was slightly true. That doesn't mean your reasoning was in any way sound.

And of course it's American fans. As I said, the people who make this a big thing are primarily a bunch of insecure American anime nerds who like to act superior by dumping all over everything American and playing up how their own alternative hobby is better.

I sometime refer to those people as Japanese supremacists and ironically they're not even ethnically Japanese. As I said, if US remake a Japanese/Asian film then they will complain. If it's Japan remaking a American film, they'll say this: "(bleep) the American version, Japanese pwns all. The American version doesn't have (bleep) on the Japanese remake". I seen this a lot and I do know Asian film that rip off American film (beside H). There's a Japanese film that might have ripped off or inspire by Hostel or Saw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
We're talking about a fanbase that most likely, by and large, somehow found the live-action Death Note movies to be acceptable filmmaking...

I don't know what to say.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
DKL: Compared to what we'll inevitably get with the DN remakes, the Japanese films are acceptable film-making. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
DKL: Compared to what we'll inevitably get with the DN remakes, the Japanese films are acceptable film-making. Laughing

GATSU, let me ask you this. What would happen if Japan (or any part of Asia) decided to remake American film? Would that be OK to you? Because if you're going to complain about how American film looks/resemble to Japanese film/anime/manga. You're going to have to do the same thing for Japan/Asia when they remake a American film/adapting western stories. Otherwise, you're acting like a damn Asian/Japanese supremacist.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I have seen Paprika in a theater, but it did not once pop into my mind while I was watching Inception last weekend. While Chris Nolan may have taken some inspiration from Paprika (primarily, it sounds like, in the form of the character Ariadne), it is otherwise so utterly different that to call it a "rip-off" smacks of short-sighted elitism.

And really, pointing to the common mirror-smashing scene as evidence? How often does a scene like that appear in dream-based or mind-trippy series and movies? Using an elevator as a metaphor for moving between different memories/layers of dreams is also something I have seen done elsewhere besides these two.

did not once pop in your mind? "it sounds like"? again let's just go back to what the article said

'The French film site Excessif reports that Nolan has acknowledged the influence of Satoshi Kon's anime adaptation of Yasutaka Tsutsui's Paprika novel, although does not quote him directly:

"Christopher Nolan cites [Paprika] as one of the principal influences and was inspired by its main character to flesh out his character played by Ellen Page, a 'spirit architect' named Ariadne." '

whether someone wants to attach "inception is a ripoff" or whatever to that statement, that will be purely his own opinion. i and many others simply take a neutral position and take it as what it is.. i don't get why all the speculating.. "it sounds like"? if you have a problem with the article, attack the source info. just because you disagree with another's opinion equally as biased as yours in the opposite extreme doesn't take anything away from the original interview. you're implying inception is nothing like paprika.. that's your opinion and others may or may not disagree. but to purposely make things sound ambiguous by describing black and white texts as "it sounds like". lol.

others and i who hold awe to paprika's artists and their work never said something to the effect "inception is inferior" or something of the sort. facts are facts--inception took inspiration from paprika as nolan admitted. it's unfathomable as to the reason why it is so difficult for anyone to accept facts as what they are.. even for psychotic fans.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
whether someone wants to attach "inception is a ripoff" or whatever to that statement, that will be purely his own opinion. i and many others simply take a neutral position and take it as what it is.. i don't get why all the speculating.. "it sounds like"? if you have a problem with the article, attack the source info. just because you disagree with another's opinion equally as biased as yours in the opposite extreme doesn't take anything away from the original interview. you're implying inception is nothing like paprika.. that's your opinion and others may or may not disagree. but to purposely make things sound ambiguous by describing black and white texts as "it sounds like". lol.

First off, remember that there is this phenomenon in the English language called "capitalization" and actually use it next time - and that is being said as a Moderator. We don't expect perfect grammar in these forums, but we do expect people to make a reasonable effort. (And yes, that's in forum rules.)

Now, as just an interested party, you're getting waaay too hung up on my "it sounds like" comment. There was no hidden agenda behind how I worded that; I was certainly not trying to imply that I thought the article was wrong.

And no, I wasn't lying or exaggerating when I said I didn't even think about Paprika while watching Inception. Whether or not you believe or accept that is up to you.

Quote:
others and i who hold awe to paprika's artists and their work never said something to the effect "inception is inferior" or something of the sort. facts are facts--inception took inspiration from paprika as nolan admitted. it's unfathomable as to the reason why it is so difficult for anyone to accept facts as what they are.. even for psychotic fans.

And that wasn't what I was commenting about. I was specifically referring to certain people who - in this thread and others - have tried to claim that Inception is a "rip-off." Nolan borrowed a few ideas but that's it. A "rip-off" is when the story and its structure is copied wholesale, and that is indisputably not the case here.

Besides, as others have noted, it's not like Paprika was anything close to a completely original work or had an entirely innovative approach to its visuals, either. (Yes, I know that's not what you were saying, but I felt that needed to be said.) I have actually seen the aforementioned Videodrome and can attest that some concepts in Paprika could probably fairly be traced by to that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if this doesn't piss you off, nothing will:

Quote:
"This is a very surreal, multi-dimensional plot structure (which) needs ideas that don't come about from Hollywood very often," DiCaprio said.

"I'm truly excited to see how the audiences here would react to this idea," he said, crediting Japanese movie-goers with embracing new concepts such as works by animation director Hayao Miyazaki and cinema legend Kurosawa.

"I'm a huge fan of Japanese cinema, Japanese anime," DiCaprio said at a Tokyo press conference. "The Miyazaki film 'Spirited Away' has very surreal landscapes that audiences here seem to embrace and seem to love."
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Honestly, anything a step above the sensibility of a day-time soap opera will likely be better than what we got with the Japanese movies.

(in a perfect world, however, we would be attaching David Fincher to the remakes, but I think he's currently doing something else... Se7en was essentially a cooler version of the Death Note anime made many years earlier)

For the record, I've not seen Hideo Nakata's L movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
mdo:
Quote:
What would happen if Japan (or any part of Asia) decided to remake American film? Would that be OK to you?

They did remake one of our films: Sideways. And it was ok to me, because it was a one-hit wonder which won't be considered classic. If they want to remake, say, Citizen Kane, then we'll talk. 'Cus that's what Hollywood likes to do to quality foreign films.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4