• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bloody Monday Manga Creators Draw Inception Film Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And there's no dream manipulation in Paprika?

No. That's almost the opposite of what I said. The one commonality is the basic concept of entering and manipulating dreams. What the two movies do with that concept is completely different. Paprika essentially takes dream manipulation as a given and explores the consequences. Inception concerns itself with the actual act of manipulating someone's dreams and the challenge there in. In Inception, at best, you can implant a very simple idea in someone's mind to slightly influence them and doing so is insanely difficult. It requires a massive amount of trickery and manipulation within the dream. That is the focus of Inception. Like I said, the entire plot is essentially a caper movie. The protagonists concoct and execute a complex plan to manipulate people and events in order to achieve their goal. It's essentially a big puzzle that they have to solve. It's just that where normally the rules and goal of this puzzle would be defined by a simple real life scenario (like a robbery) instead this game is played by the rules they have established under the premise of entering a person's dream.

In Paprika however, being able to manipulate dreams is a given. Merely by using the device, one can enter anyone's dream anywhere and essentially control it to such an extent that you can control them in real life and make them hurt themselves. There's no puzzle required for manipulation. It just happens. Thus Paprika doesn't take the form of a caper movie. Instead, the plot is more of a murder/mystery. Someone is killing people (or at least hurting them) and so the protagonists must attempt to track them down and unravel the mystery behind it all and stop the killer. Obviously these are two totally different things. They both start with the idea 'what if you could enter and manipulate people's dreams' but then immediately establish their own drastically different rules for how that might work and present a completely different style of story as a result. Saying Inception is a remake of Paprika is like saying Evangelion is a remake of Gundam because they both share the basic premise: 'what if there were these giant robots that people piloted and used to fight'.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
Heh, if any of you guys here ever make a film, we gonna call your works remakes. Because I'm sure parts of your film would have been inspired by some animemangaorather. Laughing

BTW, just this year, Japan will be releasing remakes of Louis Malle's 1958 French noir Ascenseur pour l'échafaud aka Elevator to the Gallows classic and the renowned 1990 chick flick Ghost which starred Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
mdo:
Quote:
What would happen if Japan (or any part of Asia) decided to remake American film? Would that be OK to you?

They did remake one of our films: Sideways. And it was ok to me, because it was a one-hit wonder which won't be considered classic. If they want to remake, say, Citizen Kane, then we'll talk. 'Cus that's what Hollywood likes to do to quality foreign films.

Japan is on the same level when remaking a western film, no matter classic or not well-known it still a remake. What about other Asian country that remake western movie like Zhang Yimou remade one of Coen Brother film which I believe I mention it somewhere. Don't give me that crap, I know you would pull this double standard when Japan or Asian countries remake an American film. That's why I know Japan may remake Twilight live-action movie not too soon because the novel is so popular in Japan, also a lot of people on Crunchyroll has been putting up their Asian remake of Twilight fantasy cast, what do you call that? What's wrong with American remaking Asian film? So when it's Asia remaking American film, it's OK (and most of the time are superior over the American film: "(Bleep) the American version, Asia win"). But when it's America remaking Asian film, you go up in arm making a big deal with it. See you're pulling double standard, you're acting like a Asian Supremacist when you said it's OK.

enurtsol wrote:
BTW, just this year, Japan will be releasing remakes of Louis Malle's 1958 French noir Ascenseur pour l'échafaud aka Elevator to the Gallows classic and the renowned 1990 chick flick Ghost which starred Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore.

Really!!! Shocked . OMG, So Japan is remaking Ghost and Elevator to the Gallows. I was reading the article about Japanese remake of Ghost when I saw a passage of the articlethat got my attention.

Quote:
Fox is prepping a Japanese remake of the Cary Grant classic An Affair to Remember, and we’re likely to hear about other Japenese remakes of proven American films in the remainder of this year.

So it looks like Asia is starting to remake Western film to get even with US remaking Asian film. So now Asia is on the same level as US. It's cool to see that. Last night, I was watching the movie, Collateral. After watching this film, I thought it would be kind of cool to see Hong Kong remaking this film, have Frankie Lam playing Tom Cruise's character and Leon Laito play Jamie Foxx's character. I wonder how many American film Asia will remake this year? What's next: Universal Picture announce Japanese remake of Scarface. Very Happy

to GATSU: Now after seeing Ghost is now getting a Japanese remake, can we talk now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
chicken:
Quote:
What the two movies do with that concept is completely different.

Except for the whole floating corridor thing, the espionage thing, the corporate sabotage thing, Ellen Page wearing the same outfit as Paprika and Levitt wearing the same outfit as those bar-keeps, sure. Oh, and the whole falling sequence. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Saying Inception is a remake of Paprika is like saying Evangelion is a remake of Gundam because they both share the basic premise

Except Evangelion's a piss-poor wannabe mecha show which seems more interested in me hearing the characters bitch than doing anything with the story. I'm not sure you want to be lumping in a hack like Anno with Nolan.

mdo:
Quote:
What about other Asian country that remake western movie like Zhang Yimou remade one of Coen Brother film which I believe I mention it somewhere.

Well, the Coens are remaking True Grit, so...

Quote:
That's why I know Japan may remake Twilight live-action movie not too soon because the novel is so popular in Japan,

I thought Vampire Knight predated Twilight by a few months.

Quote:
What's wrong with American remaking Asian film? So when it's Asia remaking American film, it's OK (and most of the time are superior over the American film: "(Bleep) the American version, Asia win").

Whether or not they're better, they at least try to acknowledge it's a remake. And they at least try to limit it. Plus, they have the decency not to touch the classics or at least not try to ruin what made them so good in the first place.

Quote:
Really!!! . OMG, So Japan is remaking Ghost and Elevator to the Gallows.

Yes, and we're remaking Footloose and have remade Wages of Fear. And An Affair To Remember has already been remade. As for Ghost, I dug it, but I don't consider it a sacred cow. It's a low-rent concept which only worked because of the cast attached to it, not because of the story. If not for them, it'd only be suitable as a Lifetime movie. To me, a film should be good all around to be considered something you don't eff with, which is why it perturbs people when the idea comes up to, say, remake Battle Royale or (as I've heard) Let The Right One In, rather than, say the Host, or Death Race.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Except for the whole floating corridor thing, the espionage thing, the corporate sabotage thing, Ellen Page wearing the same outfit as Paprika and Levitt wearing the same outfit as those bar-keeps, sure. Oh, and the whole falling sequence. Rolling Eyes

Stop trying to be clever and explain yourself properly. Which 'falling sequence'? Where in Paprika was there a zero gravity sequence? Where was there espionage or corporate sabotage in Paprika?

At best, you can point to a couple cosmetic similarities. OMG! She wears the same clothes in one part! That totally makes them the same movie. Rolling Eyes Yeah, it's the same outfit. Obviously that's an intentional little homage to Paprika. It's not something that's of any actual consequence to the movie though. She could be wearing that outfit or she could be wearing a different suit. It makes no real difference to the viewer. Hence the reason that getting all up in arms about it is silly. When you think about it too, it makes no sense. Let's assume for a moment that Nolan is, as you claim, 'remaking' Paprika. But, as you claim, he's not admitting it. Why on earth would he possibly choose to copy an element that's both very visibly noticeable as the same but also completely meaningless?

Again, you've ignored the fact that there are no clear parallels between the story structure or the characters. You're basically cherry picking a tiny handful of similarities and declaring it a remake. That's totally absurd. A similar premise and a couple similar scenes does not make a remake.

Quote:
Quote:
Saying Inception is a remake of Paprika is like saying Evangelion is a remake of Gundam because they both share the basic premise

Except Evangelion's a piss-poor wannabe mecha show which seems more interested in me hearing the characters bitch than doing anything with the story. I'm not sure you want to be lumping in a hack like Anno with Nolan.

Your taste in anime or lack there of is irrelevant. You think that by making a controversial statement about Evangelion you can distract from the fact that you've offered no real response to my point. It's not going to work.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Which 'falling sequence'?

The spoiler[Cotillard sub-plot]?

Quote:
Where in Paprika was there a zero gravity sequence?

There's at least three or four of 'em: the circus, the Tarzan thing, the Son Goku/Pinocchio thing, the guy floating in the corridor thing. Wink

Quote:
Where was there espionage or corporate sabotage in Paprika?

The whole messing with the DC Mini thing to get people to kill themselves? Christ, I just popped in the DVD just now, and Watanabe was clearly modeled after the Chairman.

Quote:
But, as you claim, he's not admitting it.

I said was not admitting it. Now, he's just not directly admitting it.

Quote:
Why on earth would he possibly choose to copy an element that's both very visibly noticeable as the same but also completely meaningless?

Because he didn't think there were enough fans who saw the original?

Quote:
Again, you've ignored the fact that there are no clear parallels between the story structure or the characters.

Convincing people to do things they don't want to do or normally wouldn't do by invading their dreams isn't a parallel?

Quote:
You think that by making a controversial statement about Evangelion you can distract from the fact that you've offered no real response to my point.

It's not really controversial anymore, other than to the die-hards who still want to believe Eva isn't a giant cash cow gimmick meant to fool them into thinking there's more to it than on the surface, which, when I think about it, actually also sums up Inception quite nicely, too.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Which 'falling sequence'?

The spoiler[Cotillard sub-plot]?

What specifically do you mean and what in Paprika was it similar to?

Quote:
There's at least three or four of 'em: the circus, the Tarzan thing, the Son Goku/Pinocchio thing, the guy floating in the corridor thing.

Okay I guess those are sort of zero gravity. They're pretty different though. In fact, this is another area where the two movies are completely different. Inception's dreams are way more down to earth. Even if something is a dream it largely still operates within the basic rules of real life (with the small exception being the odd paradox or effect of external events). The dreams is Paprika are way more out there though. They happen on almost a symbolic level with all kinds of unreal events and elements.

Quote:
Quote:
Where was there espionage or corporate sabotage in Paprika?

The whole messing with the DC Mini thing to get people to kill themselves?

How is that corporate sabotage or especially espionage? It had nothing to do with trying to steal secrets and didn't really have anything to do with corporate sabotage. I guess the Chairman was trying to stop the DC Mini from being used so that's sort of sabotage. His own company was researching it though and he didn't try to sabotage it by implanting the idea to discontinue it in someone's head. Under the guise of it being stolen by someone else, he used it to make people kill themselves which created an incident that allowed him to forbid it's use. That's nothing like Inception.

Quote:
Christ, I just popped in the DVD just now, and Watanabe was clearly modeled after the Chairman.

How so? The chairman is the villain and is seeking to stop the use of the DC mini because he wants to 'protect the world of dreams'. Watanabe's character is one of the protagonists. He has no issue with the dream technology. He's seeking to prevent another company from achieving a monopoly in the energy market. How is that remotely similar?

Quote:
Because he didn't think there were enough fans who saw the original?

But why even copy it? What's the benefit?

Quote:
Convincing people to do things they don't want to do or normally wouldn't do by invading their dreams isn't a parallel?

Okay GATSU. I'm starting to think you're being deliberately ignorant to avoid offering an actual response. I've explained this two bloody times already. YES. The basic premise of manipulating dreams is the same. HOWEVER, the way this works is completely different and as such, the way the story is structured is completely different.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I think this has been derailed enough. Well done GATSU, you've managed to take the talkback thread about an article talking about a manga creator drawing a film poster and turn it in to your soapbox to continue your bias fueled rants against western entertainment. You've been warned many times about this kind of behavior, but instead of curbing it you decided to kick it up a notch.

This thread was about a manga artist doing a film poster for an American film. As far as I saw you never even touched on the articles prime focus even once. Instead you took a single short blurb about the films inspiration from the middle of the article and decided that was enough fuel for you to twist this threads purpose to your own slanted agenda. You not only used it as fuel for your attacks on the film and those involved, but started tossing out other films and shows as well that weren't even related to the film in this article aside from also being targets of your agenda.

So congratulations, you managed to get a talkback thread locked, which is no small order. I can tell you this much though, if you do anything like this to this extent again, I will see to it that there will be more than just a locked thread at the end of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4