• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Plans E-Manga Store in N. America, France

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ok got a look to both portal.

French publishers line up

Kurokawa:
*FMA
*Soul Eater
*Sumomomo Momomo
*O-Parts Hunter/Satan 666

Ki-Oon:
*Until Death Do Us Apart
*Pandora Hearts
*Fallen Vampire

Kazé Manga/Asuka:
*Shikabane Hime

Pika Edition:
*Spiral

Kana:
*Black Buttler

All the titles from both portals are licensed in French and i find i rather amazing that they convinced no less than 5 French publishers to fellow them.

For English counter part, i really hope that all the titles mentioned will eventually make it into the North America market. Comic-con is starting and i think that a good place to make some announcement.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:
You forgot to add Durarara!! It's on their website.
I don't see Durarara!! anywhere on their site...

Look harder then.
I still can't find it! Crying or Very sad I hope this isn't a joke... Durarara!! is my 2nd favorite Anime (#1 is Detective Conan) and I don't find this funny at all... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I kinda feel embarrassed... Embarassed

=.=

http://na.square-enix.com/comiccon10/productsDetail.html?id=23
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.
I still can't find it! Crying or Very sad I hope this isn't a joke... Durarara!! is my 2nd favorite Anime (#1 is Detective Conan) and I don't find this funny at all... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

=.=

So it looks like Heroman, Shikabane Hime, and Durarara!! have been licensed?

EDIT: The Durarara!! and Shikabane Hime Anime have already been announced to be licensed, so that's probably why they're up there. Drat. Crying or Very sad

It looks like they leaked the Heroman license though.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.

=.=

EDIT: The Durarara!! and Shikabane Hime Anime have already been announced to be licensed, so that's probably why they're up there. Drat. Crying or Very sad

we all know disney probably has heroman since they where the ones who would have done the japan/america tv simulcast thing they where hoping to do. (and should have happened). I would love to get my hands on either a heroman dub or durarara manga but I am seeing zero signs of either atm
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.

=.=

Oh... Glad it wasn't a joke... ^^ Anyways, Thank You very much for the link! Smile
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Look harder then.

=.=

we all know disney probably has heroman since they where the ones who would have done the japan/america tv simulcast thing they where hoping to do. (and should have happened). I would love to get my hands on either a heroman dub or durarara manga but I am seeing zero signs of either atm
YAY! I finally got the link! ^^

I would love to get the Durarara!! manga! I hope that there might be a chance for the manga to get released. If it does get released, It would most likely come out during the same time the DVDs are coming out (maybe after the DVDs are out?). All, in all, I just want my hands on the Durarara!! anime and manga. Very Happy
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Very cool stuff. I hate their e-reader though, the pages each take a second or two to come up properly, and it's smaller on the screen than a standard .cbr. They should just use the industry standard cbr/cbz format, which functions much better. It's not like their books aren't already available in those formats elsewhere. It also won't do them much good if they only keep pace with the domestic volume releases, they need to get ahead of that curve and put out the latest weekly/monthly chapters (once they get the site fully operational, at least).
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
The good: for once, the site does not appear to be region locked. For now.
The bad: yet another horrific flash-based reader. "Put your images in a .zip" is not a hard format to figure out, and neither is the basic 〈img〉 tag. There is no need to re-invent the wheel and subsequently botch it up.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Nice! Curious how it'll work with licensors plans [Square Enix is a major part of Yen Press's catalogue, and they're planning a digital ed. of Yen Plus which ahd some of these titles in it], but glad to hear the news. Having the japanese pub. directly involved should make things easier.

Given the coalition started with Yen Press and Square Enix, who started out with plans to take down these sites, then noticed everyonelse wanted to as well, leading to pretty much everyone under the sun in Japan joining them, this is a sign of what people overlook about them. ing the market.They're planning to attempting to build a true digital market here, which is why they have to get rid of the illegal sites.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'd really like to see the manga publishers have their content available to download to portable e-book readers too.

Digital Manga and Seven Seas have partnered with Amazon to make (a little of) their manga available for the Kindle. I'd love to be able to read Fullmetal Alchemist that way too. Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
This could go in an interesting direction. I look forward to seeing how this will progress. So far, I approve!

The practice of offering different titles to users in different areas of the world is not a practice that interests me to a great degree. Licensing issues admittedly make this somewhat inevitable, but the effectiveness of a limited venture in reducing the international appetite for scanlations can be brought under question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

The bad: yet another horrific flash-based reader. "Put your images in a .zip" is not a hard format to figure out, and neither is the basic 〈img〉 tag. There is no need to re-invent the wheel and subsequently botch it up.

Eugh, hope that's not the case when it releases, the reason I've never read that much manga online at legal sites is because I found the flash setup so cumberson. Much easier to have a page per website and being able to use the arrow keys to control where you go next than having to fiddle with the flash to get the image the size you want and having to do that for every page. -_-
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
This definitely sounds like a great idea. SE could also use this to publish stuff that is popular but not popular enough to warrant a print-run. This would be a great way for fans to not have to rely on scanlations if they want the latest chapter or whatever from Japan. I like how more manga companies are turning to digital, its a great way for fans to preview stuff before they buy it but not turn into the proverbial book store 'manga cow', or relying on scans to decide what is good or not.
Also: Square Enix, please work with the local licensors (French companies, Viz, etc) when distributing it. I don't want this to turn into a "We know what anime fan want" deal like Bandai Visual or Toei's attempt to sell anime directly here, because look how great that turned out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
I'd really like to see the manga publishers have their content available to download to portable e-book readers too.

Digital Manga and Seven Seas have partnered with Amazon to make (a little of) their manga available for the Kindle. I'd love to be able to read Fullmetal Alchemist that way too. Smile

You know I'm still waiting for the PSP Digital Comic in North America to get manga. Everybody on the Playstation Blog keep commenting "Where's our manga". Also sadly, Japan doesn't even have one western comic on their Digital comic store also. No Marvel, DC, IDW, or any Disney digital comic and I know Japanese (and mangaka) that love reading western comic as much as we love reading manga. So it looks like it goes both way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm crossing my fingers for the first part of Sakura Kinoshita's Mythical Detective Loki. I'm not exactly who owns the license for it now, but the first series of the manga was published by SquareEnix, and since it's one of those series apparently never to be published here, I'd love to see an online release.

Already I can see confusion and problems with American publishers. Spiral for one is a Yen Press title, and I don't think their sales have been that great for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4