• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Scan Site Says It Will Remove Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
Some people are being pretty over-dramatic about this. It's not like this is the end of manga piracy by any means. Scanlations will still be available. They'll just be a tiny bit more work to find and when I say that, I mean literally, a tiny little bit. All they're doing for now is getting rid of these massive aggregators who make it so ridiculously easy in the hopes that if piracy takes a tiny bit of effort some people might decide it's easier to just buy the book now and then.

Is it possible that this recent drive against piracy will keep on going and eventually reach a point where they make it at least mildly difficult to pirate manga? Perhaps. But that's just total speculation. It remains to be seen if they will or even can go further. Taking down four or five of these huge and popular sites that are completely and flagrantly flying in the face of the law is one thing. Taking down hundreds of smaller sites is something else entirely.

Orange Hollow wrote:
At least now we know for sure, that some ANN staff daily visited that site. Of course, only to get news, no illegal manga downloads, god forbid! Laughing

You don't really have much of a grasp how news sites work do you?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of not surprised this was gonna eventually happen with MangaHelpers sacking scanlations and raw postings a month ago upon hearing news of increased efforts by the Japanese manga industry to curb illegal distribution of their manga. But I also think it's somewhat ignorant by those who completely despise scanlations to think good riddance as just like anime fansubs, manga scanlations make titles that no American licensor will ever license due to being too old or too risky accessible to Western readers. This isn't gonna completely halt piracy of manga as time and time again, another method is discovered to make the material accessible to fans.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
I don't think most of the people who seem to be happy about this know much about the scanlation scene. Onemanga didn't do any translations of its own, they simply hosted them for online viewing. The groups who actually translate the manga will still be doing it, nothing has stopped. All that's changed is that people will need to actually download the manga instead of reading it online, which I never do anyway because of the shitty quality.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
I don't think most of the people who seem to be happy about this know much about the scanlation scene. Onemanga didn't do any translations of its own, they simply hosted them for online viewing. The groups who actually translate the manga will still be doing it, nothing has stopped. All that's changed is that people will need to actually download the manga instead of reading it online, which I never do anyway because of the shitty quality.

which for us scanlators are good because we start getting the credit we deserve again. There were too many times we would find something on onemanga, only to find the credits page ripped out of all of my hard work.

As one previous poster said, it's just gonna be a little more work to get your fix.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
iindigo wrote:
The problem I have with no scanlators being around is similar to that of no fansubbers being around... Only the super mainstream stuff gets translated and published in the US while anything truly interesting is ignored.

Doesn't affect me at the moment since I can just head to the local bookstore or combini and pick up an original Japanese copy for ¥300 or so (yay for living in Tokyo), but dammit I can't read Japanese yet...

First of all, why are you living in Japan without knowing how to read Japanese......?

Secondly, since most of the non-mainstream manga are now pretty much removed from the net, is the only way of ever reading those would be to buy the manga from Japan?
Sudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:
which for us scanlators are good because we start getting the credit we deserve again. There were too many times we would find something on onemanga, only to find the credits page ripped out of all of my hard work.

As one previous poster said, it's just gonna be a little more work to get your fix.

I agree with you. I've never supported scanlation aggregation sites like Onemanga because the groups I appreciate never get any credit for their work. A lot of the stuff I read isn't licensed and probably never will be, so it'll be business as usual for myself and other knowledgeable readers.
jojothepunisher wrote:
Secondly, since most of the non-mainstream manga are now pretty much removed from the net

Wrong.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

Secondly, since most of the non-mainstream manga are now pretty much removed from the net, is the only way of ever reading those would be to buy the manga from Japan?

oh you'd be surprised what still gets scanlated. The question is, can you FIND it. I think what we're are going to see is this:

Sites like onemanga are going to disappear and the otaku scene is going to take a step back into the depths of the Internet cave by utilizing the scanlation sites IRC channel, FTP, Torrents, or whatever tech they use to distribute their media.

Taking down onemanga is like taking down isohunt (torrent site). It simply makes it harder to find what you are looking for. Those who are not internet savvy will be forced to get their fix at the local bookstores (which needs to really keep people from crowding my manga aisle >_> but that's a story for another day) either by mooching off the free reading there (or your local library) or by buying it.

The rest of us old timers who know where to find the 'latest and greatest' from Japan, can then become the 'all knowing uber anime/manga fans' that we use to be. (all in jest Razz)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
As I am well versed in the internet, I can still get whatever manga scanlation I want, either from IRC, DDL, torrent, so this does not concern me. I WILL laugh at people who think this will help stop piracy. Piracy will never EVER be stopped though brute force (C&D, lawsuits, etc), that's just not how it works.
ipikachu8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Why does everyone think this is good?

I've been using this site for three years, and it angers me to no limits. This is terrible sad to see such a good website get canceled.

I get it, scanning manga is going against copyright laws. Though it's gone on this long, what about all the work the language converts did, that just got wasted away to nothing?

How else will I read the weekly WSJ, let's face it, I'm not in the position to actually go to Japan anytime soon to get it. I'm not gonna wait a whole year till it comes out in Barnes & Nobles.

It's only fair they cancel all manga sites right? I'm sure many of them don't have copyright to their manga either.

Gabs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
ipikachu8 wrote:

I've been using this site for three years, and it angers me to no limits. This is terrible sad to see such a good website get canceled.

I get it, scanning manga is going against copyright laws. Though it's gone on this long, what about all the work the language converts did, that just got wasted away to nothing?

How else will I read the weekly WSJ, let's face it, I'm not in the position to actually go to Japan anytime soon to get it. I'm not gonna wait a whole year till it comes out in Barnes & Nobles.

It's only fair they cancel all manga sites right? I'm sure many of them don't have copyright to their manga either.

Gabs.

One Manga is a cancer to manga, that's why people are happy. Manga can not suceed when a site that any halfwit can get to is offering it for free. I also suggest that you branch out and read manga other than shonen jump.

Growup and think about someone other than yourself

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
ipikachu8 wrote:

What manga did you read? Was the majority of it licensed in America? How are you going to get your manga now?

Before the web made acquiring manga easy, people had to wait the year+ to get a good series. That's why the real early internet 'otakus' considered themselves so high and mighty, because they could get what the average otaku couldn't.

And what do you mean about language converters? Translators? Hell it's no skin off my nose. I do it simply to bring it to the fans. It's a hobby and how many of those just 'waste time'. It's something we do in our spare time, or it's something that we do in order to continue practicing with the language. We don't get paid for it. Our hard work is paid off when the fans enjoy what we have done to bring you the manga that we enjoyed, plain and simple. We know going into this that C&D letters exist and that we may get them, but it's worth the time that we do have to spread the word of something good.

You know what takes credit and wastes the time from the translators, editors, scanners, proofreaders and everyone else on the scanlation team? Sites like onemanga that take traffic from our sites and our forums and rip our credits from the pages that we did labor over all for y'all. Otherwise, we could just read it ourselves and keep it to ourselves Razz and that just wouldn't spread the good word of manga now would it?

So you can sit there and be angry, or you could start compiling that list of manga and finding out who actually scanlates it for you. Then you can visit their site and download it straight from the source while joining their IRC or forums, getting to know us, and making new friends in the process. Now that's what scanlation is and should be about.

by the fans, for the fans period
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:

Hopefully, this "extra work" will not impact upon the positive effect scanlations can have amongst local fan groups in certain countries.
In spite of their misdoings, scanlation sites offered a means of attracting potential fans towards manga, which enabled young persons lacking financial assets to sample material and subsequently engage in conversation with nearby fans (within their school or university) in case they happen to like it. Such an easily-accessed mode of introduction may help to enhance the vibrancy of their area's otaku environment, and act as the first step in developing an interested non-fan into a dedicated spender. Reverting to IRC may still allow this to occur, but such a matter is not one for me to speculate upon.

Of course, this is to say nothing of the various problems said services can cause to different regions' manga industries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Farix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but does this mean that they will be transferring everything over to 1000manga? That is where OneManga moved all of their "mature" content to a few months ago so they could keep their Google AdSense revenue.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
sharonlover wrote:
And what do you mean about language converters? Translators? Hell it's no skin off my nose. I do it simply to bring it to the fans. It's a hobby and how many of those just 'waste time'. It's something we do in our spare time, or it's something that we do in order to continue practicing with the language. We don't get paid for it. Our hard work is paid off when the fans enjoy what we have done to bring you the manga that we enjoyed, plain and simple. We know going into this that C&D letters exist and that we may get them, but it's worth the time that we do have to spread the word of something good.

You know what takes credit and wastes the time from the translators, editors, scanners, proofreaders and everyone else on the scanlation team? Sites like onemanga that take traffic from our sites and our forums and rip our credits from the pages that we did labor over all for y'all. Otherwise, we could just read it ourselves and keep it to ourselves Razz and that just wouldn't spread the good word of manga now would it?

So you can sit there and be angry, or you could start compiling that list of manga and finding out who actually scanlates it for you. Then you can visit their site and download it straight from the source while joining their IRC or forums, getting to know us, and making new friends in the process. Now that's what scanlation is and should be about.

by the fans, for the fans period

I toally agree with you man, you got the right attitude for doing scanlation and because of that, you have my respect.

And Wow, I never realized that OneManga actually stole credits from the people who did the actual scanlation.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Hopefully, this "extra work" will not impact upon the positive effect scanlations can have amongst local fan groups in certain countries.

I think that currently, anime/manga have become so popular and so intertwined in the younger western generation, that it would be real hard not to become exposed to it.

The common way a fan is born:

As a kid or teen you watch or read something based on an anime/manga or are shown something by a friend. With the expanse of the Internet, we become fans that reach us out to a plethora of resources. Those resources eventually lead us to learn that something originated in Japan. Those with peaked interest or wanting to further experience it, usually find out about anime/manga rather quickly and become fans thereof.

I think that in most medium/small to large cities, you would be hard pressed to find at least a high schooler (I was going to say middle schooler, but I think that's about the learning age of what manga/anime is), that doesn't know what anime/manga is, not to mention a lot of retailers sell anime/manga merchandise of some type or have a section for it.

I think onemanga is likely only going to affect the online spread of anime/manga and not it's influence on people becoming fans.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19