• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Canaan, Kimikiss Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
S23 comes through again. Canaan sounds potentially interesting.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
What I really love about Section 23, is that they announce a series, and then they release it only 3 months later. Unlike....well, everyone else in the industry. (Funi...how long ago did you license Oh Edo Rocket???)

FUNi announces series as soon as the ink dries. S23 announces series when they are ready to solicit to retailers. The difference being, if something like Oh Edo Rocket happened to S23, you wouldn't ever hear about it and just wait forever to even find out they had the series.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am still irritated that they didn't dub Gintama though. I realize the cost of money that is involved, but whatever.
Might want to hope at this point that they released everything that they licensed.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Gintama was license to begin with and I do agree it's worth the price it's going for. However, since the series doesn't have an English audio, there is absolutely no point of buying the anime.

If I wanted to read, I'd read the manga. Which I have and have also supported Viz Media as well. But what you wrote intrigued me, why would one hope they release all that they have licensed?

Since I am primarily English audio only, no dub equals no purchase.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
well what ever happened to the rest of glass mask??????

I am afraid to buy something until it fully releases,

You don't need to worry about any of these releases, as they are only one or two cour releases. Not to mention both Canaan and Tears to Tiara are complete collections, and Tytania will be completing it's run in October. It's very unlikely they will drop a show through half way through a season, especially if they are dubbing it.

As for Glass Mask, I don't know if they picked up both seasons, like they've done with Hell Girl and other shows, or if they only picked up the first. But from what I've heard, and considering they released it all in a fairly cheap first season set, I don't think we will be seeing season 2 anytime soon. It seems they had extremely low expectations for it, and I don't know if it even met those.

I'm at least hoping they picked up the TV and digital rights to season 2, so Anime Network can finish it's run, but who knows.

Personally, I will be grabbing Tears to Tiara and Canaan on bluray. I was figuring Sentai had it when Siren announced they had it and it was getting a dub. Tytania Part 2 is also on the list, though I will try out a few episodes of Kimikiss before deciding on it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
bayoab wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
What I really love about Section 23, is that they announce a series, and then they release it only 3 months later. Unlike....well, everyone else in the industry. (Funi...how long ago did you license Oh Edo Rocket???)

FUNi announces series as soon as the ink dries. S23 announces series when they are ready to solicit to retailers. The difference being, if something like Oh Edo Rocket happened to S23, you wouldn't ever hear about it and just wait forever to even find out they had the series.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am still irritated that they didn't dub Gintama though. I realize the cost of money that is involved, but whatever.
Might want to hope at this point that they released everything that they licensed.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Gintama was license to begin with and I do agree it's worth the price it's going for. However, since the series doesn't have an English audio, there is absolutely no point of buying the anime.

If I wanted to read, I'd read the manga. Which I have and have also supported Viz Media as well. But what you wrote intrigued me, why would one hope they release all that they have licensed?

Since I am primarily English audio only, no dub equals no purchase.

Yes, we know. You say this EVERY TIME someone brings up Sentai or Section 23 in ANY CAPACITY what so ever. It's not dubbed now. It might get dubbed later, especially if sales were strong or if it gets picked up for English language distribution later. Or the sales may have been extremely disappointing and they've decided to drop the show entirely rather than loose more money on it.

But you never know, perhaps it's delayed because they are starting to dub it, or there could be some other hold up. But constantly whining about it anytime Gintama, Sentai, Section 23, or subbed anime releases are mentioned isn't going to sway anybody's decision on dubbing it. Only sales or international partnerships will do that. Whether people are willing to admit it or not, GinTama is only a big title among hardcore anime fans. Most casual fans have never even heard of it or the magna. It isn't going to pull Naruto or Bleach level sales, with or without a dub, and it sure as hell isn't going to get a TV deal without a heavily Americanized dub, which many of the hard core fans of the show would refuse to buy.

You may refuse to buy it, but buying a sub-only DVD isn't "pointless" for everyone. I know a lot of people that love watching but don't like reading magna. Many of them refuse to watch dubbed anime. Many of us would rather have a show sub only than a dubbed one from certain other companies that can't do a quality dub or both to properly encode discs so they don't look like 5 year olds produced them.

Everytime Sentai has a solicitation or announces a license, even when they announce dubbed shows, you feel the need to turn it into one of whine-fests over Gintama being sub only. It's time to grow up, move on, and get over it.

Also, I believe he is referring to the fact that Sentai had said they had licensed the "first couple seasons" of the show, so they likely had/have at least seasons 1 and 2.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But what you wrote intrigued me, why would one hope they release all that they have licensed?

Because we know* they have more than 26(?) episodes and they have already broken their bi-monthly release pattern for it which suggests it might have been silent-dropped ala Viz. (Along with Glass Mask.)

dragonrider_cody wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

As for Glass Mask, I don't know if they picked up both seasons, like they've done with Hell Girl and other shows, or if they only picked up the first. But from what I've heard, and considering they released it all in a fairly cheap first season set, I don't think we will be seeing season 2 anytime soon. It seems they had extremely low expectations for it, and I don't know if it even met those.

They didn't deny having season 2 and as far as everyone is concerned, this is stopping in the middle and silent-dropping it regardless. It's not like Gintama where they clarified that they only had part of it when they started.

*Okay, I actually went and got the quote:
Quote:

Update 2: Section23 Films' Chris Oarr notes that Sentai Filmworks licensed the first two seasons of Gintama, with an option on the rest. The DVD release will be English-subtitled.

Now comes the "Okay, what does 2 seasons actually mean" game. (Note: 13 episodes is not a season in this case, it is a cour.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But what you wrote intrigued me, why would one hope they release all that they have licensed?

Because we know they have more than 26 episodes and they have already broken their bi-monthly release pattern for it which suggests it might have been silent-dropped ala Viz. (Along with Glass Mask.)

dragonrider_cody wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

They didn't deny having season 2 and as far as everyone is concerned, this is stopping in the middle and silent-dropping it regardless. It's not like Gintama where they clarified that they only had part of it when they started.

That may be technically correct, but it's hardly the first time we've had an anime dropped after a season in North America. Everybody has done this, including ADV, Funimation, Viz, Geneon, etc. If the first season flops, most companies aren't going to loose more money on releasing season 2.

Also, they never claimed they had season 2, nor made any implications that they planned on licensing and releasing it. At least we got one complete season, and we aren't getting dropped at some random point as Viz has done in the past.

Honestly, I would be completely shocked if they announced DVD set 2 at this point. I don't think anyone believes the first set sold well, and I've heard the phrase "super niche" used in reference to Glass Mask. I would love to see it happen, but right now I'm just happy that I at least was able to get Season 1 on DVD.

Also, the actual quote was "first couple of seasons". That is from the news story that ANN posted. If it's not some actually saying it, it's not a quote. Though most people came to the conclusion that they picked up seasons 1 and 2, which is what is most likely.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I pretty much have no idea what the show was about by the middle, but I kept watching because I like Type-Moon designs, and it looked pretty. Some kind of wacko bio terrorism or something? Who cares, hot chicks, guns, boobs!

I'm sorry? Did someone say Type-Moon? Shocked

I didn't realize they were involved in this! As far as I knew, Tsukihime, Fate/stay night and Kara no Kyoukai were their only anime properties. Is there anything else I've been missing out on, then?
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I pretty much have no idea what the show was about by the middle, but I kept watching because I like Type-Moon designs, and it looked pretty. Some kind of wacko bio terrorism or something? Who cares, hot chicks, guns, boobs!

I'm sorry? Did someone say Type-Moon? Shocked

I didn't realize they were involved in this! As far as I knew, Tsukihime, Fate/stay night and Kara no Kyoukai were their only anime properties. Is there anything else I've been missing out on, then?

The scenario and character designs for CANAAN were indeed created by TYPE-MOON, but that's it. The Canaan original concept isn't theirs, it was created by Chunsoft.

Last edited by fireaxe on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Canaan eh? Well, it was pretty good aside from spoiler[needing a second season badly.] I'll definitely pick it up.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Canaan has been on my "might check it out sometime" list for a while. I will watch a few episodes eventually and buy if I like what I see. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Great news. It's particularly good to see that Canaan is coming over. And even better, they're going to be on Blu-ray! Fantastic! That's one major gripe that I've had is that too many series released in HD in Japan aren't released in HD here. In some ways, that's more important to me than a dub (though I really like having a dub).

My only real concern is whether I'll be able to upgrade my sub-only Tears to Tiara to a hybrid Blu-ray through the upgrade program. They said previously that they'd provide an upgrade program for the DVDs, but they never said anything about Blu-ray. Hopefully such an upgrade is possible.

With all these Blu-ray announcements starting to come from Section23, I wonder if they've invested in their own equipment for that like Funimation did, or if they're still doing all that out of house. In either case, I'm glad that they're releasing Blu-ray titles at the same time as the DVDs. While it's fantastic that Funimation has been releasing titles on Blu-ray, there's almost always a delay between the DVD releases and the Blu-ray releases, which leaves the question of whether I should by a title now, since it might not be coming out on Blu-ray any time soon - if ever - or whether I should just wait for the Blu-ray release. Sometimes a Blu-ray release is fairly quick in coming, and in other cases, it has yet to materialize.

In any case, this is a great announcement. Good news indeed.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
OK, so that Tears to Tiara BD is retailing at $90. To the people who have seen the show: Would I be just dandy with the DVD release or are there some fancy action scenes sprinkled in there that would look gorgeous on a BD? It's just that even after an average discount of around 45% from DVDPacific still puts it at about $50, which is a lot in my book since I rarely spend that much on a single show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
CANAAN getting licensed was only a matter of time. High action, best TV animation of the decade (theatrical level), TYPE-MOON designs, there was a lot to like...well, for others. Personally, the show in of itself was ridiculously mediocre and the characters, while passingly attractive, were rather bland (visually and personality-wise). The whole series was like that: a thin veil of beauty masking an otherwise vapid and empty show (and its denizens). Still, not hard to see its appeal or it getting a dub, as I still see it being a top sellar. On the other side, Kimikiss is something up Section23's alley...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
I'm amazed how many of you are excited about CANAAN, mostly because of the negativity in the discussion board about it. Personally the show didn't do it for me, but I'm glad people are getting something they want.
Maybe the people who like the show didn't post in the discussion thread because it was so negative.

I've heard a little about Canaan and all I heard was good so I'm interested. The rest, not so much. Well, I'd probably have been interested in Kimikiss but lack of English dub means lack of buy from me.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
First of all, it's great S23/Sentai releasing more Blurays! I'm definitely glad I held off on the Tears to Tiara dvds.

@The King of Harts Tears to Tiara BD is listed for $67.49 at rightstuf.com, or $60.74 with member discount. Which is an amazing deal for 26 episodes of a relatively recent show.

bayoab wrote:
Because we know* they have more than 26(?) episodes and they have already broken their bi-monthly release pattern for it which suggests it might have been silent-dropped ala Viz. (Along with Glass Mask.

oh man, I really hope not for Glass Mask, Gintama, Eyeshield 21.... I guess people can continue to watch on CR (available in great quality for members, btw) to finish up the series, but I'd like to actually own them. And personally it's also a terrible feeling to have a never-to-be-complete collection.

Also, the designation of "seasons" seems artificial to me, as they were not originally released as separate seasons in Japan, if I recall (? I think). Glass Mask was a single 51 ep show, Eyeshield 21 a continuous 145 ep show, and likewise Gintama a solid block of 201 eps.

An interesting note of comparison is that I have never seen a Japanese company with an incomplete release, no matter how bad sales are i.e. it might be costing them more to continue to release discs, but they still finish the release.

Finally I want to throw in my hooray for KimiKiss! I know some people complained how it was so different from the source material, which I'm not familiar with, but I loved it. It's one of the few shows that also ends conclusively! And despite how some bloggers ranting about how the pairings turned out, for me it was exactly how I liked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6