• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kirk Up Your Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graddick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Cat Shit One,
Zac wrote:
What kind of [expletive] sociopath wants to watch that?

I don't see what the problem is with photo-realistic bunnies being shot. The level of violence in that show isn't any higher than an episode of Band of Brothers. (Keep in mind I'm only comparing them in terms of amount of violence, otherwise BoB is superior) It seems to me that you are the "sick [expletive] sociopath" who would get more distraught at the bullet-riddled body of a rabbit than a bullet-riddle body of a human being.
In this case, the problem here is not Cat Shit One, but your own emotional baggage related to rabbits (your voice warmed over when mentioned you have some as pets)

You are right that this is carried purely by the novelty factor. War dramas are a dime a dozen and something as a good as Band of Brother or The Pacific only comes along once in a while. Cat Shit One can at least hold my attention, something that can't be said about the vast majority of war dramas.
It might turn in to something substantial, but if you're willing to dismiss something on such irrational grounds, then it will be your loss.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting episode this week with 4Kids. I will say that while One Piece was an undeniable disaster, 4Kids did have at least one OK transition with Ultimate Muscle... And it's great to hear that the original Kiinikuman Nisei anime might be available on Toonzaki; I only saw the first 26 episodes of the first show via bad HK DVDs a few years back, and I would gladly rewatch those episodes if it means that I can watch the rest uncut and subtitled properly! It's nice to hear that 4Kids admits where they went wrong at some points and at least they seem to be really trying to regain even a little bit of clout back.

Justin, I'm kind of amazed that you didn't try to initiate any sort of potential interest in getting those uncut stream available here at ANN, but ANNCast is probably not the time nor the place to really talk about that kind of stuff, I guess.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kawaiibunny3"]yay my question got asked Anime hyper
I feel bad I asked something he wasn't around for so he has to go out of his way to answer it (I'm sorry, and thank you!), but atleast that means we get to hear from him again, right?
But really, after I sent my question in, I found out that the 4kids Mew Mew Power dub was sent to Australia and shown in full and put on DVD, which makes me wonder even more why it didn't show here in the U.S.

anywho. interesting show as usual :3 have fun at Comic-con guys!
R.I.P Heat Guy J references Anime cry[/quote]

Actually, while all 26 dubbed episodes were shown, only the first 10 episodes were put on DVD in Australia. Even other countries that dubbed from the 4Kids version have never put all 26 episodes of their dubs on DVD either(ex: The French dub finished the whole series and put 27-52 in two boxsets but only released 1-8 of the dub they got from 4Kids on DVD). The only country to release all 26 episodes on DVD was South Africa.
But I do agree that it was weird that the US only showed 23 episodes while other English speaking countries had all 26.

Very informative podcast. I hope that there's a follow up one soon.
And seeing as human to human violence is a no-no, I'm curious as to the edits DBZ Kai will go through.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hika Yagami wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
yay my question got asked Anime hyper
I feel bad I asked something he wasn't around for so he has to go out of his way to answer it (I'm sorry, and thank you!), but atleast that means we get to hear from him again, right?
But really, after I sent my question in, I found out that the 4kids Mew Mew Power dub was sent to Australia and shown in full and put on DVD, which makes me wonder even more why it didn't show here in the U.S.

Actually, while all 26 dubbed episodes were shown, only the first 10 episodes were put on DVD in Australia. Even other countries that dubbed from the 4Kids version have never put all 26 episodes of their dubs on DVD either(ex: The French dub finished the whole series and put 27-52 in two boxsets but only released 1-8 of the dub they got from 4Kids on DVD). The only country to release all 26 episodes on DVD was South Africa.
But I do agree that it was weird that the US only showed 23 episodes while other English speaking countries had all 26.

yeah thats it. I tried to make it short and sweet and just mentioned Australia Anime hyper but thanks

but really. it was just an awkward stopping point too. just some filler episode about "Zoey's" stupid friends. then it was never really heard from again or mentioned Anime hyper
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember attending Anime Expo Boston a couple of years back, and it was clear from the industry panels that American licensors are looking for the next Pokemon. They want to sign up for that gravy train where they can expect to show dozens if not hundreds of episodes and expect to see advertiser revenues just keep rolling in. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are the obvious successors for the adolescent audience.

While that's a model that might make business sense, it fails woefully when compared to how Japanese anime are now made. The recession has led to shorter and shorter contracts between networks and studios. While a "two-cour" 24-26 episode story was the norm just a few years back, financiers these days want shows in the 12-13 episode range. If it succeeds, then maybe they'll finance another cour; if not, they'll try something else. This disjunction between the goals of American licensors (long-term cash cows) and Japanese producers (short-term, limited risk) will prove a hard barrier for companies like 4Kids to overcome.

There are shows in the 50-episode range that might appeal to children like Kemono no Sou-ja Erin or Cross Game. Unfortunately for American licensors these stories expect a long-term commitment as they're not really episodic in the way something like Pokemon is. From an artistic perspective, it's good that these shows have satisfying conclusions, but from the perspective of licensors like 4Kids or Nickelodeon, the fact that they end is a drawback.

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Toonzaki AND Toonzai? Are you guys trying to confuse me like you did with 4kidstv.com and 4kids.tv?

I wish 4Kids the best of luck in their endeavors. Even though 4Kids butchered most of One Piece, they did make Smoker a cooler character in my opinion. The edited out cigarette made him seem more stylish because the smoke came from his mouth instead of a cigar.

Hopefully 4Kids picks up more popular shows as things go along. Only a couple months until the Fall season though, and I haven't heard much of any other shows. I'll keep up with Yugioh 5D's, but reruns of Sonic X and Winx are never appealing.

Also, what's up with Chaotic? Is that gonna keep going? I love that show so I would hope so. Mark Kirk if you see this please hit me with a response. I'd love to know if you can tell me.

TV Y7? Please. One thing licensing companies should take note of is that their audience broader than they are able to make the content. I don't care if Pokemon etc. is aimed at children, I will still watch it if I still enjoy it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I enjoyed Go-Go-Riki when it was airing. It was a show that had a lot of smart comedy if you paid attention to the themes of the episodes. A lot a political commentary buried under the childish humor.

Last edited by Gasero on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I will never have a big problem with editing for TV broadcast so long as an uncut, unedited version exists. And that is 4Kids' cardinal sin, that an uncut version, a more accurate and faithful version, of their shows, simply aren't available. Now, it's true that, in some cases, nobody's really looking for these uncut versions. Most people couldn't care less about having an uncut Pokemon release. But with One Piece, it was damn ridiculous that uncut version didn't exist for the sizable audience that wanted that.

At least they are taking steps to remedy this problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey what about us Sonic fans? 4kids took a bad Sonic anime and made it worse, but story aside it was weird that they wouldn't try to get the voices from the games, as a kid I felt that was looking down on me, like I wouldn't care about that so they can be cheap. but uhhh yeah Sonic fans have a bad reputation so maybe dont listen to them.....
Once again great podcast cant wait for more next week
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mark Kirk...you're my hero (I could totally tell you're the NCOG...all of your opinions and statements are practically the same). You're exactly the type of guy 4Kids needs right now when dealing with their new (or I guess old) direction in the anime business. Sounds like you can comply with the relatively strict business models from the higher ups, but at the same time you're willing to cater to older fans like us. And I'm honestly surprised that the higher ups at 4Kids see Toonzaki as a viable business model...outside of the uncut DVDs of Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King, uncut anime has been pretty scarce at 4Kids.

Greatly looking forward to both Toonzai and Toonzaki.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Lots and lots of godamn f****g shitting swearing huh? On my poor virgin ears!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
mark@toonzaki wrote:
In regards to YGO, using the US card names is desired by the licensor. Additionally, the consumption of the subtitled version in the US would be done primarily by those we do not speak Japanese, thus we believe that this change has no impact on integrity of the story.

Then here is an important question: If the cards have to retain their English names as desired by the licensor, what will then be done about the infamous Oujia Board/Destiny Board scene where in the original Japanese version, the letters are romanized as D-E-A-T-H as the cards were laid out while in the English version, the cards had to be edited into F-I-N-A-L to accomodate BS&P? If you guys choose to subtitle it as FINAL, even non-Japanese speakers will be able to tell the contradiction. In addition, would you also have to keep Osiris the Sky Dragon as Slifer the Sky Dragon even though the name was changed specifically as a nod to Roger Slifer, Executive Producer of 4Kids Entertainment?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
At the hour point, they haven't talked about 4Kids' shoujo properties yet. Probably because the talk about Standards & Practices couldn't explain away the changes to Tokyo Mew Mew and Doremi. What about S&P requires 4Kids to change the musical score to series? Or cut out a scene of kids searching for a lost pet?

Make Doremi a priority for a subtitled version, please!

Edit: The infamous "kids don't read" quote was at a library event, totally an inappropriate place.
mark@toonzaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
NCOG shall remain anonymous, I will just say that I have both a name and an office so that rules me out. However, the basic strategies we have been working on within the digital group here have been evolving over the last 2 years, and the NCOG provided some insight into our thought process.

A little more in regards to Toonzaki: we will attempt to provide as many versions of series where the rights and material exist. We are working with some great content partners, and I think that anime and animation fans will be pleased with the library. The full vision will take a few months to start to materialize, but most fans will begin to see the direction we are heading when we launch the public Beta in the coming weeks.

In terms of geo-restrictions, the site will launch as US-only. However, based on the rights available we will look to have a Canada/Mexico version which contains a subset of the content which is available in those regions. This would most likely be a Q4 initiative. So Primus we may be able to partially make you happy. Again, it all depends on the rights associated with each title.

My goal is to focus on what projects we have going in the future and not apologizing for the past...especially since those issues did not involve me and were done long before my time. I will do my best to provide some insight to why somethings were done, but again, this is not my primary area.

In regards to music/soundtracks: If the songs were in Japanese, they were generally re-written with the tone of the adaptation in mind. Since programming time per episode is slightly shorter in the US, the closing sequence, which traditionally has it's own theme (or multiple during each season) is usually cut out. Performance rights issues are the reason why BG soundtracks were sometime altered in the past. You will notice that more and more of the original music is remaining in the recent adaptations.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The changes made to Tokyo Mew Mew still kind of bug me because it seemed a lot smarter than Sailor Moon but to just change it so radically I think that's what bugged me more than anything. And that's what I think bugs a lot of people about 4kids. It's one thing to edit a show for content it's another thing entirety to completely change the music mess with the storyline and change the name of the show.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Where's the summary of minutes, like previous podcasts had? I can't listen to it without that, uguu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6