• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kirk Up Your Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's been around this site for awhile should know Zac's obvious bunny bias. But I totally agree with the ides that most peeps react negatively to violence against animals. One of the funniest lines in Brian Vaughn's Ex Machina comic, paraphrased: "I understand how someone can do that [horrific act of violence] to their kid, but their dog?! That's just sick!" That line always comes into my mind whenever I think of a certain chimera in Full Metal Alchemist (the kid was annoying, but what did the poor dog do to deserve that fate? Razz)

What I find most confusing is why they would choose herbavores as the most violent characters in the show? At least dogs and cats are natural predators!

Talking about animal violence, I live in a country in which a guy can take his 7-11 year old son out hunting innocent animals with a rifle, but that same kid can't watch a cartoon episodes with an animated gun on network television? That's may be messed up, but it also strikes me as an opportunity.

Has 4kids ever tried to license anime with a sports focus? We know that sports shows don't generally appeal to older anime fans, but kids like my 8-year-old nephew (who never tried a team sport he didn't like) might really dig 'em. Sports shonen anime tend to trade battles for matches, so there's less violence to edit, and what American boy doesn't know about soccer or baseball? Heck, they might even enjoy watching kids play GO if it aired on TV Wink

You can then license and sell character-branded sports merch, which parents are less likely to object to then a deck of cards or a Bakugan thingamajiggy.

Then there's the shojo question. Why are you locking girls' shows out of marketing possibility? Shows like "Petite Princess Yucie" don't need much editing (maybe the relgion theme would need a touch-up) and goodness knows girls like character merch and toys as much as boys do. Heck, boys might actually watch shojo, too! Wink
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Has 4kids ever tried to license anime with a sports focus? We know that sports shows don't generally appeal to older anime fans, but kids like my 8-year-old nephew (who never tried a team sport he didn't like) might really dig 'em. Sports shonen anime tend to trade battles for matches, so there's less violence to edit, and what American boy doesn't know about soccer or baseball? Heck, they might even enjoy watching kids play GO if it aired on TV Wink

You can then license and sell character-branded sports merch, which parents are less likely to object to then a deck of cards or a Bakugan thingamajiggy.

Well, 4Kids did bring over Kinnikuman Nisei under the name Ultimate Muscle... But even though wrestling is a focus in that title it's done in a more over-the-top style rather than a more realistic or dramatic style. And it did do very well over here, as it was 4Kids that prompted Toei to animate two more short seasons of the anime, since it was canceled in Japan.

And then Viz brought over the original manga, which had a hell of a lot more violence than even the original Japanese version of the anime did, as well as a good bit more poop jokes, panty shots, and nudity... The manga did serialize in Weekly Playboy magazine, afterall, even though Viz publishes it under the Shonen Jump Advanced line.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God, I can't believe how ridiculous the Heat Guy J reference was this time around. Laughing

Great episode. A 4Kids rep was one of the last people I expected to be brought on as a guest.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Wrestling isn't a team sport. I know Viz had tried Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis with mixed results. I don't recall a soccer, baseball, or American football anime ever being licensed and shown on American broadcst TV.

I'm not a sports fan, but don't Eyeshield 21 and Whistle have anime adaptations? Upthread some people mentioned Crossgame, and even non-sport fanatic anime fans have been enjoying Big Windup (not enough to get the 2nd season, but it got a lot of critical acclaim for, y'know, a sports anime).

There are certainly shows like those aimed at younger kids in Japan that can be brought over here.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Wrestling isn't a team sport.

You never asked for a "team sport"... You asked for a sport and I gave you an example of an anime that had a sports focus of some sort that came over.

Quote:
even non-sport fanatic anime fans have been enjoying Big Windup (not enough to get the 2nd season, but it got a lot of critical acclaim for, y'know, a sports anime).

OK, you don't have to put that last part in, as a good show is a good show. That last part just makes it sound like a sports anime generally can't be good.
themasterc1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Are you guys thinkig about having a cable channel called "4Kids TV"?
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Well, 4Kids did bring over Kinnikuman Nisei under the name Ultimate Muscle... But even though wrestling is a focus in that title it's done in a more over-the-top style rather than a more realistic or dramatic style. And it did do very well over here, as it was 4Kids that prompted Toei to animate two more short seasons of the anime, since it was canceled in Japan.

And then Viz brought over the original manga, which had a hell of a lot more violence than even the original Japanese version of the anime did, as well as a good bit more poop jokes, panty shots, and nudity... The manga did serialize in Weekly Playboy magazine, afterall, even though Viz publishes it under the Shonen Jump Advanced line.

Funny,now that you mention Kinnikuman,it's weird that the original 80's kinnikuman series was more popular in japan than it's sequel which was the other way around,in the 80's they released the rubber pink toylines based on the 80's series and renamed them M.U.S.C.L.E from mattel,but the toys did'nt sell well,and than the sequel anime ultimate muscle ended up being more popular over here in america.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6