• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Gundam Wing IS the real Gundam series, it's like the Sean Connery of Gundam even though it wasn't the first.
Nope. Gundam Wing isn't quite the worst, but it's certainly down there. Even just the first episode of the new Gundam Unicorn was much better than the entirety of Gundam Wing.

Gundam Wing IS the first Gundam series he saw, obviously. Gundam was already over 15 years old by then, and the idea of conflict between colonies and earth, and multiple factions had already been well established. What makes it so endearing is the far higher budget than the previous two TV series and that it was the first Gundam a lot of fans experienced. I do agree that it in its entirety isn't as good as a single one of the UC OVAs. Gundam Unicorn however remains to be seen.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tamaria, the Japanese cast has done more than its share of this type of work.

Have I ever said they haven't? But, in case you haven't noticed, the English dub of the game is filled with veteran VA as well.

Ah well, maybe I just get more attached to voices than other people. And voices are a big part of the experience for me. When I hear a character with a different VA/seiyuu, it creates a sort of dissonance between the face and the voice for me. It takes a while for things to match up again. Even if the original Japanese is better, switching to a different dub hurts the experience in the beginning.

Maybe it's because I have hard time recognising people's faces IRL and concentrate on the way they speak instead.

Again, I have nothing against the Japanse cast, but I played the game in English and to me that dub is part of what makes Tales of the Abyss Tales of the Abyss. I'll probably still buy the anime if they don't include an English dub with the original English cast, but I won't enjoy it as much.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
I understand that. For some, it doesn't matter how good a voice cast is if you're used to another cast and associate that voice with that character. I'm surprised some people don't understand that. And that statment goes with more than just anime.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
So Turn A's finally coming over... I hope its as good as all the hype surrounding it. I've never seen it, is it a stand alone or do you have to watch the UC series?

From what I've heard, Turn A is one of the "alternate universes", so it's a totally independent story. You don't need to watch any other Gundam series to completely understand it.

Dimlos wrote:
Nope. Gundam Wing isn't quite the worst, but it's certainly down there. Even just the first episode of the new Gundam Unicorn was much better than the entirety of Gundam Wing.

Aww. I've only seen a bit of Gundam Wing, and I think it's hilariously entertaining in a sort of Twilight-with-robots way. I wouldn't say it's THAT bad!

By the way, I love all the love for the 08th MS Team in this thread! That series was so great!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
So Turn A's finally coming over... I hope its as good as all the hype surrounding it. I've never seen it, is it a stand alone or do you have to watch the UC series?

From what I've heard, Turn A is one of the "alternate universes", so it's a totally independent story. You don't need to watch any other Gundam series to completely understand it.

Well, Turn-A was Tomino's attempt at making the UC and AUs all one universe, and Turn-A makes slight reference to them whenever they mention the "Black History"... spoiler[And near the end they activate the video records of the Black History, which results in images of all the different Gundams appearing all over the Moon, including one group thinking that Double X from Gundam X is readying its Twin Sattelite Cannon at them.] Hell, just look at a Boujarnon unit and you'll see probably the most obvious UC reference in the show.

Also, recurring character Corin Nander, who was cryogenically frozen before his debut, has an extreme hatred of Gundams, spoiler[and near the end it's shown that that the Wing Gundam is responsible for Corin's hatred, indicating that Corin probably came from the Wing timeline].

Overall, does Tomino succeed at linking all of the Gundams together? Probably not, but the more Gundam you know of or have seen before watching Turn-A results in you having more fun with it.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Gundam Wing IS the real Gundam series, it's like the Sean Connery of Gundam even though it wasn't the first.

I disagree, Wing changed not just Gundam, but most mecha because of its strong political flavor. Not the worst, definitely one of the best due to its intelligence, at least good enough to be the first one exported from Japan. Almost every mecha that came after Gundam Wing was politically-themed, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Evangelion while those before were mostly plain old action series like Robotech, Saber Rider, Voltron, Transformers. Basically while the original revolutionized 'Real Robot' Wing perfected it.

Plus, it's the one Gundam series that has more (fan) sites dedicated specifically to it while the rest are mostly shared and grouped together.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
darksharingan wrote:

I disagree, Wing changed not just Gundam, but most mecha because of its strong political flavor. Not the worst, definitely one of the best due to its intelligence, at least good enough to be the first one exported from Japan. Almost every mecha that came after Gundam Wing was politically-themed, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic, Evangelion while those before were mostly plain old action series like Robotech, Saber Rider, Voltron, Transformers. Basically while the original revolutionized 'Real Robot' Wing perfected it.

Plus, it's the one Gundam series that has more (fan) sites dedicated specifically to it while the rest are mostly shared and grouped together.

Politics have been around since the origina MSG in 1978, watch that show and then try to tell me Wing revolutionized anything.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
darksharingan wrote:

Politics have been around since the origina MSG in 1978, watch that show and then try to tell me Wing revolutionized anything.

I saw it and I can tell you that the politics, while present, was not as much the main focus as it was about the characters and their conflicts about the wars they were fighting whereas Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 for that matter being a remake of Gundam Wing were more focused on wide-scale and more historical aspect of the politics in its story and that's what many shows after tried to copy.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of funny; I'd actually say the opposite about Wing vs MSG. Mobile Suit Gundam and especially Zeta and CCA are practically all about the diplomacy and the factions and the corruption, while Wing (so far- I have not seen the whole series yet!) seems to actually back off from the political intrigue and focus more on character drama. I feel like the political stuff is the main plot of the original UC TV shows, while in Wing it's more of a backdrop.

But hey, it's all just an excuse to see awesome robots blow each other up anyway, so who cares whether the chicken or the egg came first? :)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

I saw it and I can tell you that the politics, while present, was not as much the main focus as it was about the characters and their conflicts about the wars they were fighting whereas Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 for that matter being a remake of Gundam Wing were more focused on wide-scale and more historical aspect of the politics in its story and that's what many shows after tried to copy.

No it isn't their's only two major political characters Relena, and the Dorlian guy. While they do have political scenes most of them really don't make much sense like everyone either being pacifist or turning pacifist at the drop of the hat. It sure as hell didn't have the political intrigue of the Zabi family or the AEUG vs Titans vs Neo Zeon subplot.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Turn A? I just had a nerdgasm

penguintruth wrote:
Awesome. Just awesome. I love Turn A Gundam. It's my third favorite Gundam TV series, behind Zeta and the original. More to the point, aside from Unicorn, it's really the last remaining Gundam work worth buying.

So excited! I wonder what studio will dub it. Ocean? Animaze? NYAV Post?

Actually, I've long suspected that Gundam X would to better in the states than expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8