• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KariOhki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh god yes Tales of the Abyss. I saw that last fall and loved it, made me go out and find the game. Don't care if it's sub only, if it's a decent price (which I think Bandai isn't too good at), I'm getting it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. It's good to see Bandai getting back more to the kind of SciFi stuff that they used to put out.

Charred Knight wrote:
While I have never seen Gundam X outside of the first episode, from what I heard that's also worth picking up as Super Robot Wars has made it somewhat popular in Japan, and the character designs look great.

I've seen about 10-15 episodes of X. It's okay. Sort of a different show than the rest of Gundam though. It's more of a post-apocalyptic adventure than the typical war drama.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
wowowow Turn A Gundam? Really? Not often you see a series so old get licensed. Cool news though, I look forward to the release.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
My question now is, will we get Turn A Blu Rays? If so how much?...Though I'd still get Turn A blurays if they really expensive.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Let the whining over no dub begin.
Oh no rush, we'll let you whine first. Rolling Eyes

It must be hard going through life unable to endure the existence of opinions or desires that differ from your own. Really, it must be so difficult to deal with alternative views.

Yeah, no, actually you need to get a damn life. If you don't want to read the comments of English dub fans who want dubs, then pluck out your eyes because we're not going to keep our opinions to ourselves just because they bother you. Everyone here has the right to post their opinions. If you want to call it "whining" then that's your right. However, to me that makes you sound like an elitist jerk who thinks he's better than other people.

Also complaining about comments that hadn't even been made yet makes you seem even more arrogant.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely pleased Turn A got picked up. It's one of my favorites in the franchise, and easily the best of the unlicensed lot. Great characters, great story, great music, and I don't care what others say, but the White Doll is one of my Gundam designs. Cool

All that leaves are ZZ (while definitely the bastard child of Zeta, it still has its merits ) Victory, and X. Though while I'm dreaming, a subbed Mobile Suit Gundam release would be nice. They stated the reason it was dubbed only was due to lack of R2 DVD, a condition that's long since changed. Hell, did they ever release the movie set without the messed up remaster audio? I'm glad I have the VHS for that.

Also hoping for no sub mishaps like Zeta and the horribly loose subs on CCA ("The Haman"? seriously?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to rent Turn A Gundam when it comes out. I watched it a few years ago and never really got into the show. I can't really say why I didn't I just didn't I could have just been in a bad mood. Either way the more Gundam the better.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Excellent. It's good to see Bandai getting back more to the kind of SciFi stuff that they used to put out.

Charred Knight wrote:
While I have never seen Gundam X outside of the first episode, from what I heard that's also worth picking up as Super Robot Wars has made it somewhat popular in Japan, and the character designs look great.

I've seen about 10-15 episodes of X. It's okay. Sort of a different show than the rest of Gundam though. It's more of a post-apocalyptic adventure than the typical war drama.

After Gundam's recent series which are borderline just copying previous gundam series and combining them (Gundam 00 was Gundam Wing combined with Zeta Gundam with little real thought put in it), than I would gladly see something new. It's one of the reasons why my two favorite Gundam series are G Gundam and Turn A Gundam.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
YA Tales of the Abyss I really like that one
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Finally get to see Turn A licensed after all of the years of waiting and hand-wringing. It really is a fantastic series and I hope that Bandai Ent. treats it like a big deal. If it gets a dub, it'll probably be an Ocean one given the pattern/tradition (series=Ocean (sometimes Blue Water for older, less "attractive" ones), OVAs/movies=LA studio, NYAV more recently. Basically: longer series=Canada (cheaper), shorter series=LA (more expensive)). I also hope they get some great masters for it, too, given how great it looks. Regardless, a certain buy in the future. *crosses fingers for good release plan*

I always asserted that ToA would get picked up and it, too, finally did (and by the company I expected). It also seems destined for a dub, given its background and since it is a pretty good show. I've been anticipating delving into Kannagi's source manga, it's another dash of welcome news (though I always thought that was licensed already).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Awsome. I'l be getting Turn A gundam and the Kannagi manga. I'm not sure about Tales of the Abyss. I might rent it first to see if I like it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it does get an Ocean dub, I hope they do a better job than they did with Gundam 00. What a horrible, horrible dub that was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I've always been curious about Turn A Gundam. I'm always a little wary with Tomino's later(relative to the original Gundam) works. They always sound good conceptually but lose something in the execution. The UC completionist in me would like to see Gundam ZZ licensed first but I'll probaly check this out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Would a Turn A dub be profitable? It's an older series and isn't as as action packed or full of as many pretty boys are the newer ones are. Just by being old, it's not gonna get a huge draw from people other than those who already like Gundam or mecha a lot to begin with. Good license, but I guess we'll see.
Oaknut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Super excited about Turn A Gundam. I don't know much about the dubbing time table so can anyone give a reasonable guess at when we could see its release? Providing they dub it at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8