• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, if it does get an Ocean dub, I hope they do a better job than they did with Gundam 00. What a horrible, horrible dub that was.

In my opinion all the Gundam dubs have been pretty bad. I haven't heard Gundam 00's dub yet but I don't have high hopes.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
My question now is, will we get Turn A Blu Rays? If so how much?...Though I'd still get Turn A blurays if they really expensive.

Not likely, since (as far as I know) it doesn't even have a Blu-ray release in Japan yet.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
WOOO!!!!! I've never seen the whole thing, but based on what I have seen (first 20 or so) it is definitely one of my favorite Gundams. Can't wait for this. There have been some great licenses this summer.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll dub TotA and if so if they'll do it with the same voice cast as the game.

Wasn't my favorite Tales game, but it's pretty good, interesting that it did get licensed.

Bandai definitely needs more sci-fi again like they used to be flooded with, I mean, we got Toward the Terra (sub only, grrr) but that's all that comes to mind from recent (oh, and Code Geass I suppose, kinda sci-fi...it's still Sunrise, they used to be all over that). More sci-fi please!!
froggygirl89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Tales of the Abyss huh? ...I LOVE YOU BANDAI!!Anime hyper
Zetabag

YES YES YES!!!

I have not seen much of Turn A Gundam, but I have heard good things about it and I am looking forward to purchasing this. However, I am surprised that this was licensed considering its age and the fact that it wasn't much of a commercial success in Japan or so I've heard.
Captain Crotchspike

Very happy to see the Twitter clues turned out to be true. And with this, now I can actually own the entirety of my personal favorite holy trinity of Gundam, yay! (the other two being Zeta and G)

I'd also say to people who are nervous about Turn A in comparison to Tomino's earlier Gundam work, it's...actually kind of tough to directly compare them because it's pretty much a different kind of show from what you'd expect of Gundam. This is definitely not a bad thing, though - it really stands out well in doing its own thing.

And while we're talking about Gundam dubs here, I guess I'll chime in here that Gundam F-91 has a really nice dub. :B
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, if it does get an Ocean dub, I hope they do a better job than they did with Gundam 00. What a horrible, horrible dub that was.

In my opinion all the Gundam dubs have been pretty bad. I haven't heard Gundam 00's dub yet but I don't have high hopes.

I liked the dubs for the original series, 0080, 08th MS Team, Char's Counterattack, and Gundam Unicorn's first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
First I'm hoping they will dub Tales of the Abyss (They would be idiots not to) and second I hope they keep as much of the voice cast from Original Game as possible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. Like AWO, I thought the anime was cooler, 'cus they took more time on the moves. It's just a shame once it got discontinued, a-holes on Amazon thought it was worth selling for as high as $80. I'm hoping Discotek rescues it one day, though. Anyway, if you're going into Baoh, maybe you can cover Guyver next, please?

Quote:
although Jojo wasn't translated at the time

Yeah, I could swear there was a translation because of that. Laughing I'm also guessing one of the ideas behind that was to cross over with American comic readers who might be more interested if the manga-ka worked on a title with a more Western-sounding name.

Geo: Guyver came later.
Ramune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I.....did.....not see this coming....AT ALL!!!! Finally!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!

*ahem* Anyway, MY personal favorite Gundam has at last been licensed!!! Day fricken' 1 baby!

And I never though Bandai would be the ones to pick up Tales of the Abyss. Your full of surprises today Bandai Ent.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying this is a given and as an obvious Gundam fan it isn't as though I'm exactly fully objective, but I honestly believe that SyFy/Starz would be stupid as hell to not pick this up for Ani-Mondays. It's unique, it's different, as SF it's a great little concept--we've got humans living like it's the 19th century fighting off invaders from space by digging up mecha from conflicts long past, for goodness sake. So yeah, let's cross our fingers. This deserves a dub and the broader audience that comes with that.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Happy but a bit worried. I liked Turn A Gundam myself but the chances of someone making a decent profit here aren't what we could consider sky-high. The fact that the show isn't like your average Gundam series in terms of setting is a positive but it might be a turn off for those who expect instant action and simply more of the same.

It's a Tomino show alright, and one of his best in my opinion, but the series starts off a bit rough and there is some meandering here and there. While those who are into all this stuff and have an above average appreciation for the franchise might be patient, I wonder about...everyone else.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I liked the dubs for the original series, 0080, 08th MS Team, Char's Counterattack, and Gundam Unicorn's first episode.

I'll admit it has been ages since I watched the dub. Maybe it's better than I remember. I do remember finding Amuro's voice kind of annoying, though.
xanithofdragons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Oh boy! And people were begging FUNi to use the same voice cast if they picked up Tales Of The Abyss (in case people forgot, it was one of the entries on their poll last year).

Let the whining over no dub begin.

IMHO, for me, it goes like this.

Dubbed with (at least mostly) the same voice cast from the game > Sub-Only >> Dubbed with mostly or completely different voice cast.

Tales of the Abyss is near and dear to my heart, and that includes all the voices that made this game what it is to me. If there's a dub without the game cast, I would rather have a sub-only release, since I'd be far more likely to buy sub-only than with a dub with different voices. Even though I could switch to subs, it just wouldn't feel right.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear about the Tales of the Abyss anime getting licensed. I'll see how things go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8