• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Tales of the Abyss is one of the few cases I would prefer a dub if, and only if, they get the original English cast. If you've heard those voices for 100+ hours, it's hard to switch to Japanese. Besides, some of the VA did a great job. I bet Kirk Thornton is one of the reasons why Jade is so popular among fans of the game.

BTW Isn't it weird that it's "no dub, no sale" for a vocal group of animefans and "no sub, no sale" for a vocal group of J-RPG fans?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Wow...I'm sorry but this was a mistake. There is no way Turn A Gundam is going to sell well. I am NOT trolling, this is how I honestly feel. This was, and still is one of the least popular Gundam's, along with ZZ. Again, I'm not troling. That is the conclusion I came to from reading forums, anime sites, torrent downloads, etc.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
First I'm hoping they will dub Tales of the Abyss (They would be idiots not to) and second I hope they keep as much of the voice cast from Original Game as possible.

I want to point out that Tales of the Abyss the game is licensed by Bandai-Namco Games so I don't think it's far fetched that the Bandai anime production would use the same voice cast. I too, personally, think they're crazy if they change up the voices used in the game. I loved the voice work and after playing through the game twice it'd be really hard not hearing the English cast on the anime.

I'm happy to see TotA picked up. I'll definitely get it unless it's priced ridiculously high. *cough*
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Tales of the Abyss is one of the few cases I would prefer a dub if, and only if, they get the original English cast. If you've heard those voices for 100+ hours, it's hard to switch to Japanese. Besides, some of the VA did a great job. I bet Kirk Thornton is one of the reasons why Jade is so popular among fans of the game.

BTW Isn't it weird that it's "no dub, no sale" for a vocal group of animefans and "no sub, no sale" for a vocal group of J-RPG fans?

Hehe, if you're referring to me (or others like me), it's more of a "dub-only Blu-Ray due to fears of reverse importation, thereby gimping it, whereas releasing a bilingual DVD... no sale" kinda issue. If they only released it dub-only, on Blu-Ray and DVD, then I would just buy it (and probably others as well) if I liked the dub. The case for Kurokami was, I loved the dub, but I wanted it on Blu-Ray, but they didn't give me a subtitle option on the BD, only on the DVD. And I'm not gonna settle for lower quality to get an option that should also be on the higher quality release. Their bad business decision, my smart consumer decision. I'll give my money to companies who don't gimp their releases. BEI used to be my favorite US anime company, but lately, I can only shake my head sadly and wish for them to return to how they once were.

PS> Though I totally agree with you and others who have posted it, the original game cast for this would be awesome, as I can't imagine Luke being voiced by anyone other than Yuri Lowenthal.

Elves wrote:
I'm happy to see TotA picked up. I'll definitely get it unless it's priced ridiculously high. *cough*

I don't see what could be considered "ridiculously high" about "xxx" prices.

Edit- Hm, their search links seem to be computer-specific, and time-sensitive. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Last edited by teh*darkness on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hehe, if you're referring to me (or others like me), it's more of a "dub-only Blu-Ray due to fears of reverse importation, thereby gimping it, whereas releasing a bilingual DVD... no sale" kinda issue.

Nah, I was referring to the people who literally say "no dub, no sale" Smile
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I don't see what could be considered "ridiculously high" about these prices.

I don't remember what the title was from Bandai (because I wasn't interested in it at the time), but I do remember a whole lot of annoyed fans a while back who all thought the price point was ridiculously high. Though maybe that was a Blue Ray release? *shrug*
Btw, I'm not getting any results from your link.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! TALES OF THE ABYSS IS LICENSED!!!!! Now pick up Tales of Symphonia next, Bandai!!!!
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not too thrilled about Turn A Gundam being licensed, I never did like the designs of the series. I was hoping they would've licensed Gundam X or ZZ Gundam instead. I'm just not a fan of Turn A.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
I am so excited for Turn A Gundam! I'm going through the Gundam franchise for the first time and I'm just getting started on the alternate-universe stuff. I've heard a lot of good things about this one, so I'm so happy that I'll be able to watch it! Hooray for everything!!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
I know a lot of Folks are not happy about the Turn A license over others. I have seen both X and Turn A and I think the North American audience will appreciate Turn A more, and at least that one wasn't rushed to a finish like X was (It was canceled early in the second season, if I recall, and rushed to a half season end. It ran what we now think of as 3 seasons, but was slotted for 4, it should have been a full 52 episodes. And for the record, I like X too! I think the rushed ending fit well).

Turn A can be marketed on it's unique traits, it's trajedy (what an ending!) and it's similarities to other works (Nausicaa comes to mind). It's also a full run series with it's own timeline, and a fantastic soundtrack by Yoko Kano (One of her best, in my opinion).

Anyway, cheers! Might not get an English dub, and that would be a shame, since this show is so fun, even though the Japanese track is very serious indeed in many cases, Turn-A Gundam is a very welcome release for me and I will purchase it.

Last edited by Moonsaber on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Turn A yet, but now it is on my get list when it comes out. Never heard of Tales of the Abyss so this is a not sure for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Ho. Lee. Crap.

I saw Turn A Gundam about 10 years ago, and I never thought I'd see the day when it would be picked up by an American company.

In case if the other posts didn't make it clear: Turn A Gundam is the best sci-fi show you have never seen. Thank you, Bandai.
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
I don't see what could be considered "ridiculously high" about these prices.

I don't remember what the title was from Bandai (because I wasn't interested in it at the time), but I do remember a whole lot of annoyed fans a while back who all thought the price point was ridiculously high. Though maybe that was a Blue Ray release? *shrug*
Btw, I'm not getting any results from your link.

I think you are reffering to "Hayate the Combat Butler" Which Bandai promised us a dub for it's release. Then when it finally came out. Not only did it NOT have a dub, but they were trying to charge the same price for it as you would a dubbed DVD.

As for this news. I know nothing of Turn A Gundam, so that doesn't really interest me too much. I'll check it out, make no mistake. I have a feeling it'll get a run on SyFy.

The news of Tales of the Abyss really makes me happy though. The game is my third favorite RPG of all time so far. I, like many other fans, definitely want to see the game voice cast return for a dub. There is just no way I'd be able to hear a different voice from any of those characters, and be able to accept it. :/

Regardless of weither it gets a dub or not though, I'm picking it up.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
I am, of course, interested to hear that Universal Quantifier Gundam has been licensed. Never before has "Gundam" been used as a variable for quantification. Now for the predicates!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kikin0083

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow...I'm sorry but this was a mistake. There is no way Turn A Gundam is going to sell well. I am NOT trolling, this is how I honestly feel. This was, and still is one of the least popular Gundam's, along with ZZ. Again, I'm not troling. That is the conclusion I came to from reading forums, anime sites, torrent downloads, etc.

wouldnt hurt just to have a little faith in it, would it? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8