• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Tales of the Abyss, Turn A Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
I am absolutely stoked about Turn-A-Gundam's eventual release here in the States. As a fan of all things Gundam, I really haven't delved that deep into the non-dubbed Gundam's with the exception of ZZ Gundam (funny at parts, loved the ending), & most of Victory Gundam (hate the Zanscare suit designs, loved the Victory Gundam).

I'll be glad to add Turn A to my growing list of complete Gundam series (08th MS, 0080, 0083, Zeta, Char's, Wing, Endless, SEED, SEED Destiny), the unofficial G Savior, and my still working on collections (MSG, G Gundam, and 00 Gundam.) I just wish the original Gundam TV series wasn't so damn hard to shop for in North America. Amazon's starting to know my anime preferences by algorithm by now.

Some of the dubs were bad. SEED and SEED Destiny come to mind. 00 was pretty good. Love Brad Swaile's improv on Twin Drive, "Don't you know? This is OUR GUNDAM!" Very well delivered. Very much loved Scott McNeil's job as Ali Al Saachez. The guys at NYAV blew me away with Gundam Unicorn and I hope that Bandai will continue to use NYAV for all future Gundam releases.

Honestly, I think some people forget the characters in Gundam. Amuro was this neurotic nerdy 15 year old teen. Of course he's going to be annoying at times. That's the point. The same goes with Kamille, Kira, and many of the pilots of that young age. Teens are like that.

However, I do think that Ocean has outlived it's usefulness as a dub partner. Quality in the dubbing should lead to better sales. I believe that if Bandai wants any anime to succeed in North America, it has to do a really good English dub. While the Japanese track should be included, you can best broaden the genre by translation to native language. It's the same with books as it is with manga or anime.
kikin0083

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
yay!!!, i was hoping to see ZZ finally get released since its the only one missing in the UC collection when it ends with char's counterattack (yea i know V is in the UC era). But im glad i finally get to own Turn A Gundam. All i want now is ZZ and X, not to thrill "kill em all tomino" did V and not by regular tomino. Aww i was hoping bandai would mention a little something about Unicorn episode 2, but i guess sunrise themselves dont know when that'll be official either.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
Hehe, if you're referring to me (or others like me), it's more of a "dub-only Blu-Ray due to fears of reverse importation, thereby gimping it, whereas releasing a bilingual DVD... no sale" kinda issue.

Nah, I was referring to the people who literally say "no dub, no sale" Smile

Oooh, when you said "no sub, no sale" for J-RPG fans, I thought you were referring to fans of the Tales game. After re-reading, I realize you mean J-RPGs in general. My bad.
Cheers. Smile

As for the other title, all the people raving about Turn A in here are making me consider picking it up. I'm not an insane follower of Gundam by any means, but I do own several series, and have seen a few others on [as] over time. If it's really as good as everyone is saying, I should be able to enjoy it.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
JackCox wrote:
First I'm hoping they will dub Tales of the Abyss (They would be idiots not to) and second I hope they keep as much of the voice cast from Original Game as possible.

I want to point out that Tales of the Abyss the game is licensed by Bandai-Namco Games so I don't think it's far fetched that the Bandai anime production would use the same voice cast. I too, personally, think they're crazy if they change up the voices used in the game. I loved the voice work and after playing through the game twice it'd be really hard not hearing the English cast on the anime.

I'm happy to see TotA picked up. I'll definitely get it unless it's priced ridiculously high. *cough*

That's what everyone would think, but I really doubt that they will get the original cast.
I say this because when Bandai dubbed ".hack//roots" (horrible anime i know) but they used a completely different cast than that of the ".hack//G.U." games (I love the games). The .hack//G.U. games we're also done by Bandai Namco Games. They used Ocean Group for the dubbing of .hack//Roots while BANG ZOOM! Entertainment dubbed the games.

I really loved Tales of the Abyss game and really hope that Bandai will try to get BANG ZOOM! Entertainment to do the dub, since they have used Bang Zoom several times in the past. ButI'm not counting my chickens.
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
I've known about this for a week now, but it's nice to finally see it confirmed. Turn-A's a great show and definitely deserved to make it over here. Hopefully sales are good enough to justify bringing over the last few old Gundam titles. I really want Victory and X. ZZ, not so much... But I'd still probably buy it for completion's sake.

Also, it'd be nice if Bandai threw Animaze a bone and gave 'em this one. Their dubs are always great, but they haven't done anything since SAC 2nd Gig. It's not like they're unfamiliar with Gundam (08th, 0080, 0083).
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
If you've heard those voices for 100+ hours, it's hard to switch to Japanese.

Speak for yourself. I myself put in well over 200 hours into Abyss (144 for the first playthrough, over 80 for the second), and I had no problems watching the anime. In fact, after watching the anime, I have to play the game muted because the English voices just don't compare to the Japanese ones (although I wish the anime had Ion's original Japanese voice, as she's one of my favorite seiyuu). Neither my roommate nor my boyfriend, nor anyone else I've spoken to have had problems with it in Japanese

Quote:
I bet Kirk Thornton is one of the reasons why Jade is so popular among fans of the game.

Kirk Thornton was decent (not one of his best roles, though), but he doesn't hold a candle to Koyasu, who seems to have been born to play that type of role.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! TALES OF THE ABYSS IS LICENSED!!!!! Now pick up Tales of Symphonia next, Bandai!!!!

...and the Tales of Vesperia movie, neh, but they'll probably do their magical skipping around and pretend they don't exist, xD ... That's what I figured happened to the TotA anime, lol.
...like they did with Tales of Eternia's anime.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
JackCox wrote:
First I'm hoping they will dub Tales of the Abyss (They would be idiots not to) and second I hope they keep as much of the voice cast from Original Game as possible.

I want to point out that Tales of the Abyss the game is licensed by Bandai-Namco Games so I don't think it's far fetched that the Bandai anime production would use the same voice cast. I too, personally, think they're crazy if they change up the voices used in the game. I loved the voice work and after playing through the game twice it'd be really hard not hearing the English cast on the anime.

I'm happy to see TotA picked up. I'll definitely get it unless it's priced ridiculously high. *cough*

Dub or sub doesn't matter to me. Honestly, I think the Japanese voice actors are better. In TotA's case, this is true, save Anise's voice.. O.o though I wish that girl would just die.
...the only problem I have with dubs is the tendency to butcher names, but since Bamco has it, it's unlikly; any other company would've screwed the names

>.> As you, I'm happy it even got picked up.... Since Tales series get shafted in America... Meanwhile I'll just play my imported copy of ToVesperia for the PS3 since we'll never get it (or so it seems).
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
If you've heard those voices for 100+ hours, it's hard to switch to Japanese.

Speak for yourself. I myself put in well over 200 hours into Abyss (144 for the first playthrough, over 80 for the second), and I had no problems watching the anime. In fact, after watching the anime, I have to play the game muted because the English voices just don't compare to the Japanese ones (although I wish the anime had Ion's original Japanese voice, as she's one of my favorite seiyuu). Neither my roommate nor my boyfriend, nor anyone else I've spoken to have had problems with it in Japanese.

That's nice. I beat the game twice and did almost every possible sidequest as well. I guess I played it more efficiently than you did Razz

For me the voices are part of the characters. It's weird when characters suddenly sound different (and speak a different language as well, I guess). And seriously, I don't understand the hate some fans have towards the English dub. It's a perfectly good dub. Who cares some of the roles are handled differently in the Japanese version? You can't dismiss the English version just because it's not the original version.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Has Bandai ever used NYAV Post for any of their series? It's usually Media Blaster, and 4Kids that use New York VAs.

Gundam Unicorn's dub is by NYAV. And I think that so far it's the best dub a Gundam anime has received.

Gundam 0083 would like to have a word with you. That > All Gundam dubs.

Cima <3
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Has Bandai ever used NYAV Post for any of their series? It's usually Media Blaster, and 4Kids that use New York VAs.

Gundam Unicorn's dub is by NYAV. And I think that so far it's the best dub a Gundam anime has received.

Cima <3

0083's dub is wonderful, but 0080's is decent too.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Tales of the Abyss - YES!!! It's about bloody time!!!

Turn A Gundam - That's good but it's not one of the best Gundam series, Gundam Wing was the best but dammit why couldn't they get Gundam X instead? I've been waiting forever for that to get a dub!

I hope Tales of Vesperia gets a dub.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Cima <3

Surely you jest. Gundam 0083's dub is almost as bad as the show itself. Kou, Nina, and tons of others are just painful to listen to with their terrible voices and wooden deliveries. With the exception of a few voices, the 0083 dub is a disaster. Unicorn's dub absolutely blows it away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Symphonia please! Same voice cast from the game and I will be 100% pleased!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice with the Tales of the Abyss, but still wondering why they would license a series that is 10 years old that many people may have already lost interests in it.

Anyways, I hope there is more news about K-ON! in the future and how they would handle it. I prefer them if they go back and dub some of their sub-only releases like Hayate the Combat Butler!, sola, or Kannagi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8