• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hugh Laurie's House, Tezuka's Black Jack Co-Star in Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what your point is here, Teriyaki Terrier. Different people are involved in bringing House and Black Jack to life.

House
Scriptwriters (characterisation)
Hugh Laurie (voice, physical performance)

Black Jack
Scriptwriters (characterisation)
Animators (physical performance)
Seiyuu (voice)

If I understand your argument you are suggesting that live action performances can be better, as only a single individual is responsible for breathing life into the performance? I can certainly see that, as seiyuu are restricted by the choices that the animation team take.

As for Hugh Laurie speaking japanese, the report states that it'll be his japanese dub artist that features in the ad.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I think Teriyaki is suggesting that the show House follows a more realistic setting and is limited to it. He rarely travels outside of his town, or more specifically his home, the hospital, its parking lot, and an assortment of stores. The show isn't about his literal adventures saving lives across the planet/a land mass, but how he diagnoses and solves problem, all the while being a downright jerk with a soft side who undergoes character development. The show follows a "hospital life drama" routine, with the only fantasy elements being how such rare cases show up so often at one hospital.

With Black Jack, it's easier to place the character in unbelievable situations, partly due to it having more fantasy elements. He is supposed to be somewhat of a super (demigod?)-doctor. Manga in general makes unrealistic situations easier to believe and take seriously, depending on if the series establishes itself as that in the beginning.

It's less about who the characters are in that sense, but more about what the series' background and medium is. House is supposed to be this real human who could theoretically exist in some form, while Black Jack is a humble traveling hero who is easily recognizable as a fictional character--no one expects anyone to be in the positions Black Jack finds himself in, or to at least live through it or perform correctly. Not to say this isn't a cool idea; it is. I've stopped watching House, though. Something about it just started to...irk me, I guess? Black Jack will probably end up winning, though.
Duamerthrax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
House is small time compared to Black Jack. Let's see House operate on himself in a tent in Australia, surrounded by wild dingos.

Not really, considering Hugh Laurie is real and Black Jack is entirely fictional. Plus, didn't Black Jack reserve to treat several of his patients and didn't some of them pass away?

Yes, his character House may be fictional, but it's not like he is ink and pencil.

Needless to say, if it were a contest between the two, I bet that House would easily win.

Live action Black Jack. http://tezukainenglish.com/?q=node/116

My preferred fictional character is just as real as your preferred fictional character.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
At this rate of debate about who's better, I'm beginning to wonder if Tezukapro won't cash in by coming up with a Surgery Tournament. Laughing
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the most awesome thing I have ever heard!!! XDDDD The awesomeness of House meets the awesomeness of Osamu Tezuka's coolest character ever, Blackjack! I can't wait to see this commercial!!! XDDDD

I wonder what Hugh Laurie must be thinking... Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I started reading Black Jack, I've been looking for House/Black Jack crossovers online (fan fic or fan art would make great mediums), but the Japanese distributor of House topped my best hopes with an official crossover!!! Very Happy (*insert fangirl squee here*) Huzzah!

My bet's on BJ. The guy made a patchwork daughter out of a tumor and spare parts and is raising her. I'd like to see House try that! Wink (no, really, wouldn't that make an interesting episode of House *back in dreamland*...)

We better be able to watch this! Vertical's Ed, I choose you!
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm the only person here who cares, but it makes me fangirl-happy to see that they used footage from the Dezaki anime, as opposed to the new one.

Great to see that little piece of awesomeness still gets exposure!

Last edited by RapidEyeMovement on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
This. Is. AWESOME! Do want to see very very very much.

I'm a big fan of House so my money is on him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3