• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part V

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, a girl choking another girl is bad enough. But yeah, the mother mistaking it for something else is pretty bad. I feel for you.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
My aunt still thinks it's just the shonen type and such. I'm quite likely most people in my family don't know about hentai. There were probably other times where stuff like this happened, but right now all I can remember is the time my aunt saw the copy of Legal Drug I got from the library.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Grandma Rosa is extremely cool. Unfortunately not all relatives are like that * Hellfish shudders remembering the time one aunt recomended it to stop frequenting some of her friends just because the were gay and "people would think badly of you hanging out with those kinds of people" Rolling Eyes
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favorite strips by Robin. I love this strip it cracks me up. I love grandma Rosa. I remember first hearing about 'Bronze' but never saw it. I'm not really into 'BL/yaoi' or 'Bara' though I've had my fair share of watching or reading some of the material. The only titles I've seen is 'Kizuna' and 'Fake'. I did try to watch flick called 'Blue Wolves?" but never finished because it's quality was so dark, not to mention being dark in premise. And since I was watching it on temp. DL I just lost interest.

I never had to deal with this. But I used to be embarrassed about anything I watched around my mother. Even though she didn't really give a sh*t. But she'd complain about me being in la-la-la land. So I sort of kept my fandom to myself. Now things are a little better. But again it's not like she's interested in that stuff. She doesn't really care much for animated movies no matter where they're from. But every now and then there are exceptions. But I sometimes will talk about a show I've watched and she'll listen. Because she finds that some of the things that she's been getting into somehow connect to the subject matters found in anime. So while the mediums may be different the subject matters will be similar. I also find that my mother is a fangirl in her own right. It seems as you age things get better. Or you can hope.
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
My mom's always been tolerant of what I watch, though she found the wing-growing scene in Haibane Renmei (which she happened to look up at just in time to see) creepy.

I happened to be eating lunch while watching that episode. After that scene, I wasn't feeling so hungry anymore.

Beautiful series, but, yeah.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I live alone in an apartment so I have no problem watching/reading whatever I darn well please without being interrupted but I do have all my figures & other eBay items sent to my parents' house to make sure they're received (I'm absolutely never home during the day to sign for the stuff and it's a pain in the arse to go pick it up, especially with UPS). So sometimes I wonder what they think about some of them. The Lamento catboy figures I say are from some video game I've never played (technically true) and at least they are in normal poses; but I can't wait until I finally get the somewhat sexier Togainu no Chi Akira figure in all his bare-middriff-and-unbuttoned-pants glory. And I just ordered a Kuroshitsuji shitajiki (pencil board) of Sebastian sitting at Ciel's feet, holding his bare leg, about to put on his knee-high lace-up boots. It'll probably be no big deal (we're all adults and my parents usually keep their opinions to themselves in such regards) but I'll feel self-conscious anyway. Somethings never change, no matter how old one gets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2