• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hatsune Miku fan thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
It was kind of a downer to not already see an existing thread to capture the appreciation for this particular vocaloid and growing virtual music sensation. So I declare this ANNs (un)official thread of Hatsune Miku love.

I've always been partial towards the promotion of products and commercialization through anime themed visuals. Companies recognize that having an anime character on a product will guarantee sales. But Hatsune Miku I think is something more than that. There's the additional little element of the fact that her following lives strong in the world of the internet and everything she represents also exists within that realm of the virtual expanse of expression and creativity.

It goes without saying I am a dedicated fan with whom she won my heart via the friendships and connections gained with other Miku fans.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
I've heard good things about Miku Hatsune, but she's only in big console or Windows games, right? I only have a DS and PSP, so I can't see her 'live'.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I've heard good things about Miku Hatsune, but she's only in big console or Windows games, right? I only have a DS and PSP, so I can't see her 'live'.
Well I don't think of her as a video game character, I suppose if you wanted to identify her with a particular genre of entertainment then you could think of her that way. But Vocaloid2 is not a video game and her popularity in the PSP strung from preexisting fan support that thought she could expand into the realm of music games.

I think of her more as a virtual personality which has been the result of creative marketing and innovative trends in really giving a boost to the music industry no one has ever attempted or even thought about before. The fact that she is so intertwined with music, game and anime fans who are also avid internet users has helped a lot. Her creation came about when the music industry has been under a lot of stress due to piracy and nothing else than the internet itself has contributed to that. But now the music industry has control of something which actually USES the internet as it's greatest advantage. Was Hatsune Miku created as a tool to combat piracy? No because no one really knew what exactly would develop, she really was an experiment, but I think that what is developing and how businesses, fans and artists are embracing her is something truly amazing and unprecedented.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
*looks up Miku Hatsune → Vocaloid on Wikipedia* Ah, I see. It's indeed Windows software, but no Wii or PS2/3 rhythm games. Oh, the PSP game Project Diva looks adorable. I'd love to try that out, but my Japanese isn't up to that level yet Confused

I think that might be a reason why Miku Hatsune and other Vocaloids aren't more popular yet outside Japan: the language barrier. Vocaloids are adorable, but you can't very well make J-Pop if you don't speak the language. English-speaking Vocaloids just wouldn't be the same. Besides, if the example on the Wikipedia page is representative, the English-language version isn't very good yet.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
True I agree the language barrier does present obstacles to followings in software, games and professional video production in the States, but when has that ever stopped fans before? I think Miku fandom in North America and Europe will be another extension of the anime subculture that is continually pervasive in Western society despite apparent barriers from Japanese culture and language.

I have a friend who is a DJ and a huge fan of Hatsune Miku like me, and he always uses images of Miku in his promotional material and it shows in his music also as he caters his style towards fanboys and quirky techno geeks. But his fans keep asking for MORE Hatsune Miku, more of her songs, more of her style even faster than he can dish it out.

Oh, Project Diva probably requires much less Japanese knowledge than you think. I'm sure there's a basic gameplay instructional in English on the internet somewhere, and as long as you can Trial & Error your way through the menus, actual gameplay does not require any Japanese knowledge at all, just skill, which unfortunately I completely lack in those types of games Crying or Very sad
stevek504

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I am a fan of Hatsune Miku. There have been a few figures that have come out that I wanted, but did not have the cash for...

Did I hear an anime or a manga was on the way?

The empty stomach song on youtube.com is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naioWZBP_0o
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:02 am Reply with quote
Cute Smile It sounds like something Kermit the Frog would sing.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hatsune Miku is so cute! Anime smile

My favorite songs by her are MELT, Ievan Polkka, World is Mine, and Melody.

Favorite compilation songs are Cendrillion (sung with KAITO), Triple Baka (sung with Akita Neru and Kasane Teto), and Phantom of the Opera (sung with Kamui Gakupo).

And yes, there is a manga about Miku, along with the other Vocaloids. It's called Chibi Miku-san; the main character is Hatchune Miku: the one from Ievan Polkka. Other characters include Kagamine Len and Rin, Akita Neru, Yowane Haku, Megurine Luka, FL-chan, KAITO and MEIKO. The first few 4-panel comics have been turned into the little 3-5 minute episodes that are infamously remembered for being used for the anime "Chii's Sweet Home." The manga and anime are both very cute!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is also MELT but I also like Nebula and Black Rock Shooter just as much. I never get tired of listening to any of those three.

I just recently found the Vegetable Juice song. So silly but very cute and addictive.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here a fan of covers? I love listening to the original Black Rock Shooter, World Is Mine, and Melt, but what's even cooler is listening to Nico Nico Douga artists cover them after listening to the original vocaloid versions over and over again. It breathes a new sort of life to the songs, especially hearing the different interpretations the artists come up with. Plus the best ones are definitely good enough to become recording artists if they ever got the opportunity.

My favorite cover artist is Choucho. She's got an amazing and consistent voice that I never get tired of listening to.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I heard a girl do an extremely good job of doing a cover for "World is Mine" She was amazing because singing this song is no easy feat. When Hatsune Miku sings it, it sounds great and not so tough but that's because she's a Vocaloid. I think "World is Mine" was written specifically to be a sort of benchmark song, to test the limits of an artificial voice. In reality it is an extremely difficult song to sing and only hightly talented singers can pull of a natural sounding version.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
In reality it is an extremely difficult song to sing and only hightly talented singers can pull of a natural sounding version.

Word. I really don't think any singer is capable of pulling it off completely the way it was intended. It's either not cute/bratty enough, not solid enough, not energetic enough, or any combination of the above. Also, the screams throughout the piece are extremely hard to pull off, and even Gazelle couldn't do it. The spoken words throughout the piece also have to fit the overall tone you're trying to present the piece with, and should flow naturally into the song, almost to the point where the listening can barely discern the transition between the spoken and sung words, which I've only heard the Miku version do perfectly really. It's also really really hard to be cute/bratty sounding but not annoying at the same time.

Also, anyone enjoy the song Meltdown by Rin Kagamine? It's the absolute most well-synced vocaloid song I've ever heard, and I've heard plenty of covers of it but none of them have yet to top the original. Even the voice actress who provided Rin's voice, Asami Shimoda, didn't do as good of a job. I do think it's the perfect fit for Yukari Tamura, and I'd be extremely psyched if she ever covered it.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Also, anyone enjoy the song Meltdown by Rin Kagamine? It's the absolute most well-synced vocaloid song I've ever heard, and I've heard plenty of covers of it but none of them have yet to top the original. Even the voice actress who provided Rin's voice, Asami Shimoda, didn't do as good of a job. I do think it's the perfect fit for Yukari Tamura, and I'd be extremely psyched if she ever covered it.
It was alright, nothing really special to me. I first listened to a solo and I didn't like the squealing highs Rin had in it. And I was wondering what you meant by synced. Then I listened to the duo with Rin and Len, much more impressive and the harmonization made it a much more pleasing song. But for some reason I don't like the pacing of the melody, still. I'm still have yet to key into Rin and Len's voice also (it even took me a pretty long time to key into Miku's voice).

Oh check out this fine collection of Vocaloid Charater Series images:
http://mwvtechcamp.com/2009/daria/index.html
ongak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been getting my weekly vocaloid fix at HearJapan. THey have a great selection with good english explanations of all the artists and albums so I know what I'm actually getting. Please check it out:
http://www.hearjapan.com/store/genre/1/74/vocaloid
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Decided to bring this thread back to life (if possible). I've heard about Miku for quite some time, but only recently found great songs that made me very much interested in "her" other works.

I bet any proud fan already knows about these two songs but for those who don't (all links on NicoNico):

ぽっぴっぽ. Poppippo. Miku sings about her favourite, filled with vitamins, vegetable juice. SHAMELESS PLUG BY MIKU!!! Part of the chorus even says: "From now on you too will like vegetable juice!". Simply great.

Bakabakabaka. Is another great composition. Very much must see/listen. Someone even put a great effort to animate first part of that song: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5161232

And last one is not directly related to Miku but there is a Miku version remix of this song (Magnet), though here is the version I like the most: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7265930
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4