• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madhouse Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
So you specifically pointed out that the Supernatural questions were asked by women because you assume that they are all slash/yaoi fanatics? Isn't that the same as assuming that properties that attract a primarily male audience (say, action movies and superhero flicks) are only watching for the fanservice?

I've never seen an episode of Supernatural, but I assume that like all major fantasy/sci fi fandoms, it has some fans that love the slashability of its characters. Even fandoms that attract an even number of men and women (like Harry Potter) have a major slash fanwork culture following (fanfic writers, doujinshi creators, etc), but that doesn't mean that all its fans enjoy it for its "slashability".

In short, I don't see what pointing out the gender of the majority of the fans proves. Some of them like slash and yaoi? Sure. They're excited at seeing a new version of their favorite show but worried that it won't translate well into another medium and that the new version might put some potential fans off? Of course, every fandom worries about adaptations (it's so much harder to convince your friends that your favorite show rocks if the movie sucks, right?) They're protective of their fandom. Don't see what gender has to do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2