• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:

Only disappointed that there's STILL no word on the One Piece movies Sad Funny thing is, a while back I kinda sorta wished Funi would license Tokikake so that they could find a way to cross-promote it with OP Movie 6, both being directed by Hosoda. Yeah I know, I'm really grasping at straws here.

I too would love to see the other One Piece movies being released in America. Including Movie 6 which was one of my favorite one piece films. Until then I'll be buying the rest of Season 3 DVDs that are coming this year. And hopefully Season 4 won't be much of a wait.

coincidently Summer Wars has the same director as Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island, and its my favorite of the one piece films too.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Great news all around lots of great licenses.

Regarding Eva..

I want them to recast Asuka to be honest. I don't like Tiffany Grant and don't think she is all that good an actress. I never liked her as Asuka despite a crap load of fans saying she was the best and no one else could play the character.

Personally I think they should just keep the cast from the first movie cast someone really good as Mari and then recast Asuka, A TON of Funi actresses can play Asuka 10x better then Grant ever could. That's just my opinion but it's one I feel pretty strongly about.

It's kinda Funi if I think about how I think Asuka sounds I always tend to hear Luci Christan's voice in my head, I think if she did it right she would be the perfect fit.

I don't expect Grant to just leave it be however. Everyone knows she loves that character and will probably try to do anything to get cast for the movie regardless if it's what is best for the movie or not.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Manga UK sub-licenses Rebuild of Eva from FUNimation. Manga UK is in no position to get Rebuild of Eva movies independently of FUNimation.

That said, Manga did manage to officially license Summer Wars before Funimation, though I believe they had to elicit their services in order to obtain a dub track. Our R2 release is still scheduled for 2010.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Regarding Eva..

I want them to recast Asuka to be honest. I don't like Tiffany Grant and don't think she is all that good an actress. I never liked her as Asuka despite a crap load of fans saying she was the best and no one else could play the character.

Personally I think they should just keep the cast from the first movie cast someone really good as Mari and then recast Asuka, A TON of Funi actresses can play Asuka 10x better then Grant ever could. That's just my opinion but it's one I feel pretty strongly about.

It's kinda Funi if I think about how I think Asuka sounds I always tend to hear Luci Christan's voice in my head, I think if she did it right she would be the perfect fit.

I don't expect Grant to just leave it be however. Everyone knows she loves that character and will probably try to do anything to get cast for the movie regardless if it's what is best for the movie or not.

I keep finding myself agreeing with both sides of the camp on this one. It is great that Tiffany Grant loves the character so much, and brings so much enthusiasm to the role. However, she does tend to really overact, and like penguintruth said, is definitely not subtle. Not to mention, she has never, ever sounded like a 14 year old girl to me.
But there is something about her Asuka that I kind of liked. I dunno, Spike Spencer and Allison Shipp both sounded a lot better this time around (although I've always liked Allison Shipp's Misato) I'm hoping that Tiffany Grant herself will have improved, and really hope that she comes back for the new movie.
Do I think she's the best, or that she IS Asuka? No. Yuko Miyamura will always be the real Asuka for me. But there's just always been something about her Asuka that I liked, and I think simply for nostalgia reasons, I'd like to see her come back.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Regarding Eva..

I keep finding myself agreeing with both sides of the camp on this one. It is great that Tiffany Grant loves the character so much, and brings so much enthusiasm to the role. However, she does tend to really overact, and like penguintruth said, is definitely not subtle. Not to mention, she has never, ever sounded like a 14 year old girl to me.
But there is something about her Asuka that I kind of liked. I dunno, Spike Spencer and Allison Shipp both sounded a lot better this time around (although I've always liked Allison Shipp's Misato) I'm hoping that Tiffany Grant herself will have improved, and really hope that she comes back for the new movie.
Do I think she's the best, or that she IS Asuka? No. Yuko Miyamura will always be the real Asuka for me. But there's just always been something about her Asuka that I liked, and I think simply for nostalgia reasons, I'd like to see her come back.

My biggest issue. And keep in mind this is from someone WHO HAS NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YET!!! I have just heard a few things.

I have heard Asuka's character is a bit different in the movie this time around(namely that she isn't that much of a bitch and comes off alot more likable then she did in the TV series) and if that is indeed true that will be a problem. Because Grant will more then likely play her as if she is the exact same character as she was in the TV series when that is obviously not the case.

That is my biggest issue with casting Grant again. That and in my opinion there are plenty of people out there who could play the role just as good if not better then she ever did. A good example of this is Rei. I don't even remember what Rei sounded like in the TV series now because Brina did such a great job in the movie. The same could happen with Asuka assuming they cast the right person.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Quark wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Regarding Eva...

I keep finding myself agreeing with both sides of the camp on this one. It is great that Tiffany Grant loves the character so much, and brings so much enthusiasm to the role. However, she does tend to really overact, and like penguintruth said, is definitely not subtle... I dunno, Spike Spencer and Allison Shipp both sounded a lot better this time around (although I've always liked Allison Shipp's Misato) I'm hoping that Tiffany Grant herself will have improved, and really hope that she comes back for the new movie...

... I don't even remember what Rei sounded like in the TV series now because Brina did such a great job in the movie. The same could happen with Asuka assuming they cast the right person.

Totally see where you guys come from and I can agree with some points you bring up. I also want Grant to come back to the role, but not the way she was during the series. Don't get me wrong I still liked her Auska in the series, but I felt that it could of been done better (even if they didn't know the whole plot of the series while they were recording). But I think that since Eva 2.22 is in Funi's hands then they will make her sound right, that is if she gets the role. If you guys have heard her in the FMA series I think she sounds different then most of her previous anime roles and still gave a pretty decent performance in my opinion. Listening to that, I feel that Grant would be very capable of bringing a much better performance as Auska versus her previous Auska. And if they cast Auska to someone else, then hey whatever.

And I have to agree, Allison is Misato! She plays the role so well and I can't imagine Misato voiced by anyone else.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Manga UK sub-licenses Rebuild of Eva from FUNimation. Manga UK is in no position to get Rebuild of Eva movies independently of FUNimation.

Why not? They did announce it first.

Manga in the UK may be a shadow of it's former self, but it pre-dates FUNi and is the biggest anime company in the UK at present. Not all of their releases are FUNimation and Viz sub-licenses - there are obvious examples like Ghost in the Shell and while it is often not obvious for the titles that were released in the US by FUNimation, it has been confirmed for example that FMA:Brotherhood was licensed directly from Aniplex, not FUNimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:

And I have to agree, Allison is Misato! She plays the role so well and I can't imagine Misato voiced by anyone else.

Ooh, you've put me in a tough spot here, because I love both Allison Shipp's Misato (especially in Rebuild) and Kotono Mitsuishi's Misato equally. They both did such an amazing job voicing her, that I honestly couldn't pick one over the other. I've kind of gotten over my love for the English dub for the TV series, but Shipp's Misato (and sometimes Grant's Asuka) is the main reason why I'll sometimes still watch it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

My biggest issue. And keep in mind this is from someone WHO HAS NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YET!!! I have just heard a few things.

I have heard Asuka's character is a bit different in the movie this time around(namely that she isn't that much of a bitch and comes off alot more likable then she did in the TV series) and if that is indeed true that will be a problem. Because Grant will more then likely play her as if she is the exact same character as she was in the TV series when that is obviously not the case.

That is my biggest issue with casting Grant again. That and in my opinion there are plenty of people out there who could play the role just as good if not better then she ever did. A good example of this is Rei. I don't even remember what Rei sounded like in the TV series now because Brina did such a great job in the movie. The same could happen with Asuka assuming they cast the right person.

I haven't seen the movie either but....

Wouldn't it make more sense for both Tiffany Grant and FUNi to already know about the change of character and then adjust the voice accordingly? It just seems so negative to say "she'll play her as if she was the same character."
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
My guess is that well see the DVD/Blu-ray for Summer Wars and Eva 2.22 sometime next summer. And we can maybe expect the theatrical releases in late winter/ early spring.

No. Last time they ran the theatrical limited run first as an expensive publicity stunt (its NTV's fault not FUNimation's), THEN released it on home video.

He/she probably meant winter 2010/early spring 2011 for theatrical. Most people would know that a theatrical release would come before the DVD/BD.

And FUNi mentioned in the press release that Summer Wars will be released in theaters in 2010.

Quote from the PR:
Quote:
FUNimation Entertainment will release the film theatrically in 2010 and on DVD and Blu-ray in 2011.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Quark wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

Regarding Eva...

I keep finding myself agreeing with both sides of the camp on this one. It is great that Tiffany Grant loves the character so much, and brings so much enthusiasm to the role. However, she does tend to really overact, and like penguintruth said, is definitely not subtle... I dunno, Spike Spencer and Allison Shipp both sounded a lot better this time around (although I've always liked Allison Shipp's Misato) I'm hoping that Tiffany Grant herself will have improved, and really hope that she comes back for the new movie...

... I don't even remember what Rei sounded like in the TV series now because Brina did such a great job in the movie. The same could happen with Asuka assuming they cast the right person.

Totally see where you guys come from and I can agree with some points you bring up. I also want Grant to come back to the role, but not the way she was during the series. Don't get me wrong I still liked her Auska in the series, but I felt that it could of been done better (even if they didn't know the whole plot of the series while they were recording). But I think that since Eva 2.22 is in Funi's hands then they will make her sound right, that is if she gets the role. If you guys have heard her in the FMA series I think she sounds different then most of her previous anime roles and still gave a pretty decent performance in my opinion. Listening to that, I feel that Grant would be very capable of bringing a much better performance as Auska versus her previous Auska. And if they cast Auska to someone else, then hey whatever.

As an Asuka fan thanks to her performance the wavering doesn't really make much sense to me based on merely transplanting any typical excesses of the 90s-era dub when taking everything into account she did a great job just like Allison, she is Asuka, just like Allison is Misato, except for those who didn't like her.

I think if you liked her before there's no reason not to want her back. The first movie already demonstrated that there will be subtle changes to how these returning now much more experienced VAs voice their characters while still giving them the same life so we shouldn't be judging this strictly on how Asuka sounded in a practically ancient dub, where her "bitchy" take on the character shouldn't be a mark against her since it was perfect for TV series Asuka, and which only sounds dated now just like Spike and Allison's old recordings because of how far dubs have come and better recording quality, they were ahead of the curve at the time and Tiffany Grant's Asuka was part of that too and given the "issues" some people had with Spike's original Shinji which I liked and matched pretty well with how angsty TV Shinji acted and they generally thought he improved with the tweaking for the new movie under new direction, with much more VA experience and in a modern dub, and Allison's Misato was also tweaked and sounded great, I expect Tiffany to do the same and tweak her Asuka with the modern direction, lots more experience, and to be a little more toned down in line with the new movies, just like some of Spike's detractors were surprised with his tweaked Shinji due to the toning down of the angsty writing of his character in the first movie. As her voice is still totally Asuka I think it's strange to jump to conclusions as her original performance was at least as good as Spike and Allison's who both successfully tweaked their fan favorite performances compared to their old performances.

We don't even really have to go in blind either, we can tell from the 1.11 dub that the voice direction is tweaking the returning voices to balance them for a more modern dub and the new tweaks on the characters for the new movies.

Her hopefully reprising Asuka is something I'm really looking forwards to, and one of the things I've been looking forwards to since the movie project was first announced since she was my favorite character, and for the other two characters I enjoyed most Spike and Allison did a great job coming back to their roles and re-capturing them for the first movie under the new Funimation voice direction and gave us the chance to hear them with all the modern bells and whistles like great surround sound and even more pristine recording quality (on the blu-ray) with two of the voices that "are" those character for me and I really want to get that same improved experience with my favorite of the Eva characters and Grant's tweaks.

I don't know the specific voice recording terms or the equipment advances so I can't be as specific as I'd like but the improvements in the process, equipment and the experience is actually another point, since we've seen 1.11 we know that we don't have to make conclusions solely on any parts of the 90s TV dub or little nuances that may have aged in the opinion of some people who have issues with the dub that may be tweaked differently now than they were in the 90s or things that have changed either in the movies or in balancing modern dubs. For example, Spike's new Shinji while still being distinctly his Shinji with his personal "Shinji voice," due to perhaps subtle tweaks, his far increased experience, and current recording tech and lossless audio doesn't play exactly the same, the dub no longer sounds "aged", and gave us an "Eva dub" with his strengths with the character and with all the modern nuances to make the track sound "modern" (which it ofcourse was since it's a freshly made dub). Grant's performance for Asuka, while it will still be "her Asuka" (if she hopefully gets to reprise her role) won't play "exactly" note-for-note the same as so many years ago, it would be tweaked just like Spike and Allison's were for 1.11, which sounded exactly as hoped and yet fresh with their recordings comparing to just about any top-of-the-line modern dub in various ways and also tweaks in line with their updated characters in the movies, plus getting even better recordings of their voices.

Note: Sorry in advance that the last paragraph kinda duplicated some thoughts since it ended up kind of wordy to try to get the point across...

garfield15 wrote:
I haven't seen the movie either but....

Wouldn't it make more sense for both Tiffany Grant and FUNi to already know about the change of character and then adjust the voice accordingly? It just seems so negative to say "she'll play her as if she was the same character."

Exactly, such a negative assumption.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
yes, I feel a lot of non-objective, Asuka-bashing is going on here

as for Tiffany Grant's Asuka being "over the top"...that's kind of how Asuka *is*; pervasive behavior of grandiosity

plus she was really good in the Director's Cuts in 2004 - everyone improved a lot given the original was *15 years ago*, and also a lot as the series progresses (though I personally like her even in episode 8 when she debuts).
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Re: EVA 2.0 & Summer Wars

Now I know how it feels to be a Double Showcase Winner on The Price is Right! Laughing

If there was any company that I wanted to license Summer Wars, It was either Bandai Ent. (NOT Visual/Hollandaise) or Funimation. at the least we will get a quality dub but I'm interested to see what they do with the Blu-Ray Version.

One More thing... If Tiffany Grant is not Auska in EVA 2.0...I'll Riot! Twisted Evil
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Well it turns out Funi was just holding out on the Eva 2.0 announcement until Otakon after all, huh? Maybe not exactly. I think they had the contract at the time of AX but they just hadn't put ink to paper yet...for "dramatic" effect!

Doubtful. "Dramatic effect" only matters in buzz building when a title doesn't come complete with sufficient buzz among its intended audience (certainly not the case with the new Eva flicks) and is best used closer to a movie's release date. The "will they, won't they" licensing ruckus over 2.22 will be long forgotten by the time the disc drops over here.

What's far more likely was that the month between AX and OK was spent by Funi and Khara/Gainax hardballing each other about licensing fees and screen count obligations for the theatrical release. Khara and Gainax were almost certainly demanding more money and screens than Funi could turn a profit on, and Funi was likely "politely" suggesting that K/G call companies like Section23 and Media Blasters to see what they could deliver.

It's all armchair speculation, but Funimation was negotiating from a strong position that allowed them to give K/G the choice between either making a realistic amount of money off of the American/Canadian release of 2.22 or having no release at all. K/G, on the other hand, were simply presenting a financially solvent entity with the opportunity to gamble on a property. Being the only company with both a real interest in the title and enough capital to secure the loans required for its release gave Funi the ability to threaten to walk away from the table unless K/G got real about 2.22's potential stateside.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I saved up money for Otakon 2010 but certain situations prompted me to use those funds. I wanted to see HOME MADE KAZOKU but these great licenses make up for it.

I am surprised to see that Bandai Entertainment did not pick up Summer Wars since they have Mamoru Hosoda's other film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Nevertheless, I am excited to see Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance and Summer Wars licensed. I see two shiny new blue cases that are going to be in my collection in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9