• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Yes!! Eva 2 and Summer Wars!! I am happy! Everything is wonderful!

THIS!

Although we knew about these already thanks to Mangle UK's snitching, it shouldn't stop anyone from being happy.
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
SUMMER WARS! YES! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR FOREVER!

...I think I will watch that movie tonight in celebration.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Funimation! Very Happy Honestly I'm more excited about Summer Wars being licensed then Eva, we all knew Eva was coming so I'm glad Summer Wars was picked up as well as I was getting worried for a wile on that one. I really want both Eva 2.22 and Summer Wars to sell well though and people need to buy those two as both movies are some of the best anime I've seen in a looooong time.

2011 is looking like a mighty fine year indeed.

Also I don't see them doing the same thing like they did with 1.0 as they only did the 2.22 release in Japan. As long as the Funimation blu-ray looks just as good as the Japanese release it's all good Very Happy Let's just hope we get a better dub this time around as honesty the dub on the first film was lackluster at best.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I am not exaggerating when I say that Summer Wars is one of the best movies I've ever seen. FUNi, please get this in theatres this year! Do everything you can to make sure it gets nominated for best animated feature at the Oscars this year. It has to happen!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Let's just hope we get a better dub this time around as honesty the dub on the first film was lackluster at best.

I thought it was better than the ADV dub of the TV series, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
While I've lost a lot of interest in anime movies, I'd be lying if I said Summer Wars didn't interest me a lot; I don't consider EVA a movie, more like an epic since it's four parts. I'll probably check out the SW BD when it comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I am not exaggerating when I say that Summer Wars is one of the best movies I've ever seen. FUNi, please get this in theatres this year! Do everything you can to make sure it gets nominated for best animated feature at the Oscars this year. It has to happen!

Wont happen, one of the ANNCast episodes already went through that in that Oscar nominations require a lot of money spent on promoting a film for the Oscars which Funimation is not even remotely in a position to do.

penguintruth wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Let's just hope we get a better dub this time around as honesty the dub on the first film was lackluster at best.

I thought it was better than the ADV dub of the TV series, at least.

Really? I always thought the TV series was a better dub honestly. Speaking as a dub fan myself Eva is one of the few anime's I actually prefer subtitled only anyway, particularly the rebuild films as the Japanese cast gives excellent performances. I find the dub on the first film was pretty flat and came nowhere close of capturing the intensity levels the Japanese cast got to in the performance.

Last edited by BeanBandit on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Yay, yay, Summer Wars!!

*jumps around*
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

Wont happen, one of the ANNCast episodes already went through that in that Oscar nominations require a lot of money spent on promoting a film for the Oscars which Funimation is not even remotely in a position to do.

And even if it was in theaters, we can expect 80 theaters in total in the US and Canada that play it 2 times each. Not very amazing. I think doing one of those Fathom Events like Bandai does would work better.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for 2.0. It'd be nice if it came out on BD before the year's end.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

And even if it was in theaters, we can expect 80 theaters in total in the US and Canada that play it 2 times each.

Sadly, you've super overestimated how many theaters it'd show up in.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Nah, it could easily play in like 65 theatres in Canada and 15 in the USA like what happened with 1.01
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hearing that 2.0 has been licensed really made my day. Hopefully it will be out on Bluray by the end of this year.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
What's funny about the theatrical runs is that despite how you hear how badly they bomb my brother went to the Eva 1.0 screening in Calgary and me the one in Toronto and both screenings were standing room only. Must be a Canada thing as anime films seem to pack theaters here *shrugs*
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

Pepperidge wrote:

Unfortunately Eva has already debuted in Japan before the qualifying year.
walw6pK4Alo

BeanBandit wrote:
What's funny about the theatrical runs is that despite how you hear how badly they bomb my brother went to the Eva 1.0 screening in Calgary and me the one in Toronto and both screenings were standing room only. Must be a Canada thing as anime films seem to pack theaters here *shrugs*

Maybe it's cheaper to run movies in Canada?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9