• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Eva 2.0, Hetalia Film, Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm worried about Tiffany Grant returning as Asuka, because the woman does not know what subtlety means. Granted, Asuka is a loud-and-proud character, but she's not always over the top the way Grant portrays her, especially not in 2.0. Maybe she'll improve like Spencer did.

Really? Cause I thought she had a pretty good voice considering the role. I mean, I see other character types and she could have sounded way worse

Tiffany Grant always seems to play the same role, though.

A bitch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Really? I always thought the TV series was a better dub honestly.

The TV series dub was awful. Like most ADV dubs, it doesn't hold up at all. Spike Spencer's Shinji was especially heinous, a ridiculous exaggerated caricature of what Shinji is really supposed to be. But for the Rebuild dub he seemed to have toned him down.

I'm worried about Tiffany Grant returning as Asuka, because the woman does not know what subtlety means. Granted, Asuka is a loud-and-proud character, but she's not always over the top the way Grant portrays her, especially not in 2.0. Maybe she'll improve like Spencer did.

But yeah, I would say the Japanese cast definitely gives the characters more humanity than any English cast has.

you do realize that the original ADV dub was made back in *1997*, when English dubs were only JUST starting to get good?

They only made the series *two episodes at a time* with no advanced knowledge of backstory reveals made in later episodes.

The English dub *drastically improved* every few episodes, it was like watching it evolve.

***Moreover, its not really fair to say "wow FUNimation's new voice actor for role X did a better job"....look at how much RETURNING voice actors Spike Spencer and Allison Keith-Shipp have improved, given that they had *15 years* to develop the character in their heads?

Whose to say the others wouldn't have similarly improved?

As for your Asuka criticism....what? Tiffany Grant *is* Asuka!

"over the top".....did you judge the entire dub based on the first few episodes? It got very good by the end. Limitations of the system in place at the time, of only 2 episodes made at a time.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Really? I always thought the TV series was a better dub honestly.

The TV series dub was awful. Like most ADV dubs, it doesn't hold up at all. Spike Spencer's Shinji was especially heinous, a ridiculous exaggerated caricature of what Shinji is really supposed to be. But for the Rebuild dub he seemed to have toned him down.

But yeah, I would say the Japanese cast definitely gives the characters more humanity than any English cast has.

Hence why I never try and talk about dubs to begin with lol
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
see, no doesn't that make the weekend that much better?

even though I know it'll be a while until it hits the shelves, I'se happy, esp. about Summer Wars. I had figured on Eva2 happening eventually anyway...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
its not really fair to say "wow FUNimation's new voice actor for role X did a better job"....look at how much RETURNING voice actors Spike Spencer and Allison Keith-Shipp have improved, given that they had *15 years* to develop the character in their heads?

Whose to say the others wouldn't have similarly improved?

I said Spencer improved, but it's not like he's now a great Shinji. He's just barely a tolerable one.

Quote:
As for your Asuka criticism....what? Tiffany Grant *is* Asuka!

"over the top".....did you judge the entire dub based on the first few episodes? It got very good by the end. Limitations of the system in place at the time, of only 2 episodes made at a time.

Dude, I used to be a huge fan of the Evangelion dub. Then I developed taste. When I got the Platinum Edition DVDs, I tried watching it with the dub and it was just terrible. I've gone back every year and tried to listen to the dub and it gets worse every time.

Tiffany Grant has literally no sense of subtlety in her voice acting. It is always over the top. There's no humanity in her Asuka.

I've come to realize how shoddy Eva and most other ADV dubs were. Try listening to the English track of Blue Seed and you'll hear what I mean. It's utterly painful.

The only ADV dubs that hold up are the comedy dubs they did much later. And maybe Gunsmith Cats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
YAYYYY EVA 2.22!
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
If they don't let Tiffany Grant reprise her role as Asuka, *its torches and pitchforks time*
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty great to be able to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on a biggish indie-theater screen during its theatrical release, and I'm hoping to get a chance to see Summer Wars in a theater as well. Except if it's one of those one-night-only deals, which don't work for my schedule. Definitely relieved to finally get the official announcement of a video release.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Woooooooo! EVA 2.22 and Summer Wars! I almost wet myself from the news. Ahhh.... so happy.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
btw, FUNimation did state it would be out "in 2011", so I feel partially vindicated by my predictions that "seriously guys, there's no way this is coming out by Christmas"

Important things to note for the next movie:

1 - can they please fix Toji? He's supposed to have an Osakan accent and I felt Justin Cook's performance was the weakest in the cast. So has pretty much everyone I've watched it with (the few that don't think Kensuke isn't great; but I defend that Kensuke doesn't give Greg Ayres much to work with)

2 - Taliesin Jaffe is NOT an Evangelion expert, and I question what of value he ever told them; please stop relying on this fellow

3 - in case no one told FUNimation, Mari is British, so I think they should try to cast someone who can do a British accent.

4 - In Rebuild 1, FUNimation's dub ignored that Shinji stiffly uses Japanese honorifics all the time (i.e. he calls them "Miss Ayanami" or "Miss Katsuragi", only gradually growing to call her "Rei"...but in FUNimation's dub they're on a first-name basis from the start)......problem is that there's an actual scene in Rebuild 2 when Asuka points out that Shinji formally addresses everyone all the time "Stop calling me by my last name, its weird, you know me well enough to call me Asuka now"....how will they address this?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up Summer Wars for sure. Them getting Evangelion 2.0 is also great news although I probably won't buy any of them until all 4 of the films are picked up. Ideally I'm hoping for a boxset.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought Justin Cook's Touji was probably the strongest of the new cast, because of how similar Touji is to Yusuke Urameshi (another Cook role), in that they're both sort of rough guys that have soft hearts, regardless. Maybe some kind of regional accent would have improved him, but it's always tricky when dealing with that type of thing in English dubs.

Anyway, it's not like Touji has even half the role he has in the movies as he does in the series.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for both Summer Wars and Eva. I'm really just excited to see FUNimation licensing so many movies. I hope that we will later see King of Thorn down the line. I loved the manga and tremendously want to see the film, but I wonder how faithful to the manga they are just based on the changes I saw in the trailer.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Picking up all 3 for sure. FUNi is hitting so many home runs lately it defies reality.....
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I caught Summer Wars at the Asian Film Festival of Dallas just this last week, and it is one of the best anime films I've seen, hands down. Me and my friends absolutely loved it, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a Funimation rep at the screening (Fun is Dallas based) secretly planning on buying the license the moment they got back to the office. x)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9