• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Experiments in the Anime Industry - noitaminA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Woah, do you have a source for those numbers of Mononoke? Unfortunately the only thing ANN has with numbers is the DVD box set that also had the Bakeneko part of Ayakashi which sold 5k.

Mononoke
2007/10/26 15,150 Vol. 1 "Zashiki Warashi"
2007/11/22 11,419 Vol. 2 "Umibouzu"
2007/12/21 12,740 Vol. 3 "Nopperabou"
2008/01/25 12,811 Vol. 4 "Nue"
2008/02/22 12,274 Vol. 5 "Bakeneko"
2009/04/08 5,657 Mononoke & Ayakashi~Bakeneko DVD-BOX

Quote:
But when you look at this and see that Mononoke was 10th on the list on its debut week, I find it hard to believe that it sold over 10k units per volume.

Look at the other titles in that list. Lots of big sellers in that list, so 10th isn't so low.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I can't say I know of any military influence in Occult Academy. The other two, obviously yes.

I just went by the description:
Quote:
Maya Kumashiro returns to the Waldstein Academy...

Generally, when I see academy, I think of more discipline-applied students, hence the military-esque, not military in general.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
What's the "similar theme" between the three series PJ? Cause I don't really see any.

The military-esque theme was what caught my attention.

Not that the delivery is the same, but it would be like watching 3 different magical girl shows back-to-back. I would think the lack of variety would fizzle out quickly.

Have you actually seen Occult Academy?

In fact, have you seen Night Raid?....Cause comparing that and Sora no woto is just really wrong.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Wow, it seems almost ridiculous to me that someone would call humdrum slice-of-life anime "experimental".

"a series about a workaholic's job and her love life? what a zany and out of the box concept!"

I mean sure, sure it's got Yojouhan which is totally experimental. But you can't judge the success of the block based on one of the most recent titles..

I mean honestly, if there was a call or demand for real experimental anime, then we'd probably see more from Studio 4°C. and they wouldn't be left doing in-between works and outsource jobs like Transformers the Aniamted Series.

You're totally misinterpreting the word "experimental". Noitamina values experimental animation titles, but overtly experimental animations turn away regular viewers who normally don't watch animations. That is why Noitamina producer, Koji Yamamoto, arranged Asian Kung Fu Generation and illustrator Yuusuke Nakamura with Dir. Masaaki Yuasa. So that the show could have this experimental yet balanced look to hook in regular audience for "Tatami Galaxy".

Speaking of experiment, Noitamina is experimenting with diverse range of shows that both hard core anime fans and regular audience can enjoy. They've been exploring uncharted territory of adult female demographic when other networks' TV anime are still dominated by kid's and Moe types. It doesn't underestimate core anime fans, but for the survival, it has to diversify or go extinct. What I find interesting about Noitamina is that it's "directing" regular viewers to ease into a title's concept idea without alienating them.

I'm a hardcore Studio 4C fan. Still, 4C is a commercial animation studio and it has to make a living. Experimental animations are daring and unique, but how often do they make connection with mainstream audience? So far, people who say they like mainstream or Moe types, don't put exceptionally high praises on experimental animations from Studio 4C or any other studios. Even worse, regular folks don't even heard of most of Studio 4C titles maybe except recent omnibuses. Success or failure of visual media, both live action and animation, depends how well the content communicate its ideas to audience.

Last edited by reanimator on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheBigN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
How can these two series even be exampled when there's nothing like them currently (or historically?) in distribution to support a statement like this?
*pulls out a yellow card

The information on Sazae-san/Doraemon and the other series that he lists in the top ten (including shows like DBZ Kai, Chibi Maruko-chan, Crayon Shin-chan and HeartCatch Pretty Cure) is based on the ratings that these shows get based on viewers, which fits into his talk about how successful noitanimA shows are in terms of ratings compared to others shows done at the same late-night time frame. And he explained given the time these two shows are run (late afternoon/early evening) and the longevity of these shows, these shows have become essentially household names in Japan. They've apparently become cultural institutions of a sort. Razz

And as others have said, what noitaminA mostly brings is a different focus on a target audience, trying to bring in people that wouldn't necessarily usually watch the anime shows usually marketed to the late-night audience.

Last edited by TheBigN on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Leavitt explained that many of the top-ranking titles shown on television are not usually the titles popular in America (ie: Sazae-san and Doraemon).

How can these two series even be exampled when there's nothing like them currently (or historically?) in distribution to support a statement like this?
*pulls out a yellow card

I don't know why you're doubting the statement. It's a fact. Do you actually assume that all mainstream Japanese watch the same new anime titles that western teenagers watch?

"Sazae san" and "Doraemon" are still all time top ranking TV animation in Japan and they are never popular in America. There is not even one licensed Sazae san and Doraemon merchandise available here in US. Both of these show are part of the Japanese mainstream pop culture as "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" being a part of American mainstream.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Wow, it seems almost ridiculous to me that someone would call humdrum slice-of-life anime "experimental".

"a series about a workaholic's job and her love life? what a zany and out of the box concept!"

Well gee, thanks for being a complete wanker about that. Of course had you spent less time on wankerly pursuits and more time actually reading my comment, you might have noticed I didn't refer to any specific title as experimental. Obviously noitaminA's shows are not universally experimental. Obviously they also have a number of romantic/slice of life series. You've also failed to notice that experimental was just one of the words I used. I also said innovative and high quality. Their shows can generally be classified as at least one of those three things. You seem to forget that noitaminA has been responsible for such shows as Ayakashi, Jyu-Oh-Sei, Mononoke, Moyashimon, Hakaba Kitarō, Library War, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, Eden of The East, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Kūchū Buranko, House of Five Leaves, The Tatami Galaxy, and Shiki. While many of those may not be experimental per say, they are certainly at least innovative concepts if not real high quality shows. In fact, even their more conventional stuff seems to generally be pretty high quality compared to the usual standards.

Quote:
I mean sure, sure it's got Yojouhan which is totally experimental. But you can't judge the success of the block based on one of the most recent titles.

I don't know what 'Yojouhan" is. I don't see it listed as one of their shows. I do know however Ayakashi ran way back in 06 followed by Mononoke in 07. That's pretty damn experimental and innovative animation. Of course, 2009's Trapeze (Kūchū Buranko) probably surpasses it. I think you'd also have to be crazy to deny that House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy and even Shiki didn't at least offer some very unusual visual styles as well.

It seems pretty apparent to me that it is in fact you who is judging the block based only on it's earliest couple titles. After a mere year or two, noitaminA began to branch out into more experimental work and such work has been gaining prominence in the block ever since to the point where it's now close to the majority.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei = The Tatami Galaxy
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
While many of those may not be experimental per say, they are certainly at least innovative concepts if not real high quality shows. In fact, even their more conventional stuff seems to generally be pretty high quality compared to the usual standards.

Quality is subjective though. Some are great, some are not: H&C = overhyped, found the whole show dull and uncompelling; Hataraki Man = liked better than H&C since there's more a substantial story but unfulfilling; other dramas are more compelling; Jyu-Oh-Sei = ironically enough, despite being much more conventional fujoshi bishounen bait, dealing with much more fictional sceneario offers 10x the story, 10x more interesting characters with 10x the drama.

..though I suppose you could say there is minimum level of quality however you want to define it. Just like how only a few are experimental, while others are more conventional. In fact, aside from the experimental shows--namely: Trapeze, Tatami Galaxy, the rest could easily be on conventional anime programming blocks.

Actually, noitaminA themselves seems to have diversified from their josei (+ shoujo/fujoshi appealing base) shows to their recent lineup.

Quote:
I don't know what 'Yojouhan" is. I don't see it listed as one of their shows.

- (whoops; correction was writing in pieces) Tatami Galaxy

Quote:
I think you'd also have to be crazy to deny that House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy and even Shiki didn't at least offer some very unusual visual styles as well.

The style used in House of Five Leaves has been used elsewhere. Similar character designs have been used elsewhere like Ristorante Paradiso. House of Five Leaves is alright, but again not super-hi-quality as all noitaminA shows are made out to be. On the other hand, TM8.0 and East of Eden despite being much more conventional, is also much better. Tatami Galaxy, and previously Trapeze, for all of their "innovative" style and experimental structure is just not that good really and offer little else. By comparison their other shows like Ayakashi, Library Wars are much better.

p.s. to Crystalyn Hodgkins / ANN editor: the Ayakashi link in the article is the wrong one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quality is subjective though.

Which is all the more reason that making a fuss over my description of most of their shows as such is pretty silly. If you think their shows aren't very good. Fine. That's your subjective opinion. It doesn't have to be the same as mine. In my experience though their stuff tends to be of a higher quality at least on average that the stuff elsewhere. That's my subjective opinion.

Quote:
In fact, aside from the experimental shows--namely: Trapeze, Tatami Galaxy, the rest could easily be on conventional anime programming blocks.

Uh...well, I'd say Kemonozume and Kaiba (the director's previous works) were more or less as experimental as Tatami and they didn't run on noitaminA so I would say that theoretically any of their shows could have run on a different anime block. That's really a moot point though. Regardless of where they could have run, they did run on noitaminA. While other blocks may also put out some equally innovative or high quality shows occasionally, they are very few and far between, especially over the last couple years. noitaminA on the other hand has managed to pretty consistently put out at least a couple shows a year like this despite only putting out in total about four shows a year.

Quote:
House of Five Leaves is alright, but again not super-hi-quality as all noitaminA shows are made out to be.

And there it goes again. I don't know how I can make this any clearer short of posting it in giant red letters. I am not, nor was I ever, speaking in absolutes. I never said "all noitamina shows are super high quality".
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Well gee, thanks for being a complete wanker about that. Of course had you spent less time on wankerly pursuits and more time actually reading my comment, you might have noticed I didn't refer to any specific title as experimental. Obviously noitaminA's shows are not universally experimental. Obviously they also have a number of romantic/slice of life series. You've also failed to notice that experimental was just one of the words I used. I also said innovative and high quality. Their shows can generally be classified as at least one of those three things. You seem to forget that noitaminA has been responsible for such shows as Ayakashi, Jyu-Oh-Sei, Mononoke, Moyashimon, Hakaba Kitarō, Library War, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, Eden of The East, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Kūchū Buranko, House of Five Leaves, The Tatami Galaxy, and Shiki. While many of those may not be experimental per say, they are certainly at least innovative concepts if not real high quality shows. In fact, even their more conventional stuff seems to generally be pretty high quality compared to the usual standards.

I don't know what 'Yojouhan" is. I don't see it listed as one of their shows. I do know however Ayakashi ran way back in 06 followed by Mononoke in 07. That's pretty damn experimental and innovative animation. Of course, 2009's Trapeze (Kūchū Buranko) probably surpasses it. I think you'd also have to be crazy to deny that House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy and even Shiki didn't at least offer some very unusual visual styles as well.

It seems pretty apparent to me that it is in fact you who is judging the block based only on it's earliest couple titles. After a mere year or two, noitaminA began to branch out into more experimental work and such work has been gaining prominence in the block ever since to the point where it's now close to the majority.

alright, yeah my first post was pretty lame. I wasn't trying to bash you personally or something, I just think it sounds funny when anime fans in general say like "Noitamina = experimental" and then you see titles like Antique Bakery. It's just short of like "uhhhhh....what?".

I understand that they definitely have what i'd consider "experimental" titles. And I totally understand the concept of regular realism shows trying to appeal to middle aged women as being "experimental". But just that idea that in the "anime" community, when one tries to appeal to a normal female audience, it's considered "innovative and experimental". That just seems funny to me. Not funny in some kind of condescending way of anything though.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
I just think it sounds funny when anime fans in general say like "Noitamina = experimental" and then you see titles like Antique Bakery. It's just short of like "uhhhhh....what?".

First, I suspect that half or more of "anime fans in general," especially if we're talking about fans outside Japan, have no idea whatsoever what "noitaminA" is, much less see it as "experimental." Personally I think of noitaminA as a place for series with more mature audiences than is the anime norm.

Reading back over the original article, I fail to see much of any connection between noitaminA and things like Toonami or Adult Swim. I suppose the latter might have been seen as an effort to bring anime to a new audience in the US, but other than that I see little that's comparable among them.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
I just think it sounds funny when anime fans in general say like "Noitamina = experimental" and then you see titles like Antique Bakery. It's just short of like "uhhhhh....what?".

First, I suspect that half or more of "anime fans in general," especially if we're talking about fans outside Japan, have no idea whatsoever what "noitaminA" is, much less see it as "experimental." Personally I think of noitaminA as a place for series with more mature audiences than is the anime norm.

Reading back over the original article, I fail to see much of any connection between noitaminA and things like Toonami or Adult Swim. I suppose the latter might have been seen as an effort to bring anime to a new audience in the US, but other than that I see little that's comparable among them.

the thing about Toonami and Adult Swim was just the guy trying to explain what a "block" was. It's not a content thing, it's just like, the Toonami "block" is the same type of programming schedule thing as the Noitamina "block". It was just giving a simple example to the crowd to easily understand what he meant by a TV programming "block".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2