• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tactical News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Never did manage to finish the PSX port because of the terrible loading times and insane grinding but the story and the characters were quite engaging.

If you find yourself really needing higher levels, use the MVP system. The non-boss enemies scale with your highest level character on the field up to a certain point. The experience gain formula in TO is such that a person attacking/killing a unit 1-2 levels higher gains levels far faster than attacking someone of equal level. Using a MVP to raise enemy levels then killing them means generally an army that's equal to the current leader character.

The grind is badly distributed though. The part that requires some kind of grinding is just before the first Krizar battle, where you try to raise L1-2 recruits to match the L4-5 enemies without the benefit of MVPs. After that, it shouldn't be necessary to grind.

Can't wait for Tactics Ogre to be released.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

And I know a few people who have imported PSP games, as well as a lot of the Bleach PSP fighters being available at Fry's Electronics stores, for around $70 last time I checked.

Thanks for the quick reply.
So the 2000 and 3000 are equally acceptable? I have seen those used for about $100, and there are a few games by Atlus and that new P3P I am interested in playing. I understand it links with the PS3 too, which would be cool, depending on the functionality.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
John Casey wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but I'm seriously psyched about Scott Pilgrim. Both the movie and the game.

It's weird, but it feels like absolutely everything for this franchise is being handled perfectly. It's rare enough to have a movie that lives up to the source material, but to have the game based on the movie actually be good too...that's something. I mean Paul Robertson doing the animation and Anamanaguchi doing the music for the game?? And the cast for the movie is SO spot on, and Beck is on the soundtrack, along with Metric supplying the music for the Clash at Demonhead (Envy is partially based on Metric's lead singer). I'm so jazzed for the game and the movie.

That said, I don't think the movie will be a hit at the box office, though I hope I'm wrong. Like Edgar Wright's other movies, it'll probably gain a larger following after it's theatrical run. I really do hope it does well, but I know a lot of people will just think it's too weird or silly based on the commercials.

Apparently the advance reviews for the movie are pretty bad. But I'm not phased, and will definitely go see it. Scott Pilgrim is about a certain type of person from a certain generation, and as far as I've seen, appeals to no one else. I tend to be a little defensive of the quality, though, because I started reading Scott Pilgrim, without having heard of it first, at the beginning of high school, and the last volume came out right after I graduated. So it's very sentimental.

Interesting that Envy is based on Emily Haines. That's who she (Envy) reminded me of, apart from all the drug use. I'm pretty psyched about the soundtrack--- at the midnight launch in Toronto, they were giving out flyers with the track listing. I can't believe that they're including those ten-second songs by Crash and the Boys. Very Happy
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:

Apparently the advance reviews for the movie are pretty bad.

Well, Rotten Tomatoes has it at 87%, though only based in 14 reviews. It's still pretty early to tell, I guess. I'm want to go see it, too, though.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:

The only negative reviews are coming from the mainstream press, which means 40-60 year old reviewers. This movie wasn't made for them, and clearly wouldn't cater to them. All the fans who've watched it via preview screenings have left positive reviews, as well as some of the younger critics.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Treetastic wrote:

The only negative reviews are coming from the mainstream press, which means 40-60 year old reviewers. This movie wasn't made for them, and clearly wouldn't cater to them. All the fans who've watched it via preview screenings have left positive reviews, as well as some of the younger critics.

Seriously, don't trust what the reviewers say unless you find 1-2 specific reviewers who you actually agree with most of the time.

I can't wait till the new Tactics Ogre. That is the best video game related news I have heard since the announcement of Golden Sun 3.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, didn't expect 'Tactics Ogre' to make a comeback. And of course the "family" is back. Meaning 'Matsuno', 'Akihiko' and 'Sakamoto'. Nothing like living the world at the palm of your hand.

The 'Scott Pilgrim' game, interesting. Well, let's hope it will be good. As in that someone with knowledge of the series worked on it and it not just being a bad movie knockoff.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
that was a prequel though and it still isn't very well known over here

Yes, the column refers to the original Tactics Ogre. Knight of Lodis is a pretty good game, though, especially when you finish it and realize that, according to the official Tactics Ogre story, Knight's happiest endings never really happened.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of Knight of Lodis, I managed to nab a copy a few months ago. So this one time I beat a mission, and was watching the subsequent cutscene, and all of a sudden the characters start have this legitimately interesting, mature philosophical discussion about responsibility as the cost of freedom and the ethics of neutrality. Definitely not your everyday JRPG experience. I hope Knight gets a remake as well, because while it is a really interesting and deep game, its interface and pacing are downright archaic by today's standards (despite the fact that the game is only eight years old).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I never got to play the original Tactics Ogre, so I'm excited for the remake and the opportunity to play it, but much like Persona 3, I'll be watching the reviews for it to see how it holds up to the original before I run out and buy it.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about Fate/Extra - I always thought it might be interesting to see the original story redone as an RPG as it was, but I'll probably still give it a shot.

Scott Pilgrim looks interesting - anything involving River City Ransom has to be. Smile
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Primus wrote:
Treetastic wrote:

Seriously, don't trust what the reviewers say unless you find 1-2 specific reviewers who you actually agree with most of the time.

I can't wait till the new Tactics Ogre. That is the best video game related news I have heard since the announcement of Golden Sun 3.

That's what I was saying. It's ridiculous to call something "juvenile" in a negative way (as one guy did) when that is the core of Scott Pilgrim. It's entirely about this age group. I'm not paying any attention to what the critics say, it looks perfect to me, and I'm going to see it opening day. (That's August 13, by the way. Tell your friends.)

I just worry that others who are unfamiliar with the material will be put off by these reviews---as Bahamut623 was saying, it probably won't do well in the box office.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Treasure is working on a new game.

And wait until you see what Nippon Ichi is up to...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Quote:
Tactics Ogre is a cult classic in Japan, and with good reason: it's a sweeping, challenging, highly complicated strategy-RPG with only a few flaws to deny it greatness. It's far less known in North America, where the only officially released version is a now-rare PlayStation port of the original 16-bit game.

Not so. There was also the GBA game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis released by Atlus.

Wow, I actually played that version and completely forgot about it. I also played the 1997 playstation version as well. Man, how many years have gone by since I even heard any news of Tactics Orge? Not since the GBA version, that is for sure.

This is why I've been buying games from Square Enix (formally Enix before they merged with Square Soft) for the last decade and a half. They remake and license games that aren't ultra popular, but are almost always fun.

Now if only the playstation Chcocbo's Dungeon could be remade with updated graphics and some minor fixes, that would be super awesome.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is the PSP getting a pretty nice run of games going now? I know it happens occasionally and never lasts, but with Ogre coming back and Sega just announcing the Shining series being revived for PSP together with a pretty stellar games line up over the next two-three months(All those lovely Ys games, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, Parasite Eve, Patapon 3) it seems I may need to keep the old piano slab charged up on a regular basis for a while... and yet even then, all I can think about is how much I want a port of Persona 4 with a female protagonist already... I am such a goddamn SMT mark.

Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, didn't expect 'Tactics Ogre' to make a comeback. And of course the "family" is back. Meaning 'Matsuno', 'Akihiko' and 'Sakamoto'. Nothing like living the world at the palm of your hand.

The 'Scott Pilgrim' game, interesting. Well, let's hope it will be good. As in that someone with knowledge of the series worked on it and it not just being a bad movie knockoff.

Fear not, it's obviously coming to tie in to the movie, but the game is decidely skewed towards fans of the comic Cool
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Tactics Ogre: The only reason I pretty much figured this game got glossed over was because of Final Fantasy Tactics (and for the most part, that is the reason). Looking back now, I had been interested in renting it, but never got around to it. Perhaps the PSP version would be better than trying to find a PS1 copy.

Fate/EXTRA: I never got into Fate/Stay Night and the only unique crossover I remember for it was Gojira VS TYPE-MOON. I kind of would like to still see it. An RPG sounds interesting though.

Hello Kitty: So now even Sanrio is marketing the moe crowd? The world is ending....

Metal Max 3: What's with that wolf on the cover? A playable character? I heard one of the previous Max games had actual dogs as allies. By the way Todd, did you mean to say Mighty Max in your caption? Anime hyper

Scott Pilgrim: Why is this even in the manga section at local bookstores?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3