• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On!! T-Shirts, Tie-In Goods Bring in 1.8 Billion Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Since the image above no longer represents the actual anime industry, I've decided utilize some of the data for a more accurate picture. The results are quite stunning.

First up, I removed all merchandise and film data from the graph above. Film data was negligible, so not worth adding.

Then, I extracted a licensed titles (series, OVAs, ONAs, Movies, and Specials) count from the ANN Encyclopedia, per year. Together, I produced the following graph:

The graph makes the following assumptions:
-Titles are licensed and sold in the same year
-Titles are sold based on an average

Further information not presented in the graph:
*2008 has 63 licensed titles.
*2009 has 41 licensed titles.
*2010 currently has 21 licensed titles.
*The average number of titles licensed, per year, is 103 (2001-07).
*The average revenues, per year, was $365M (2001-07).
*The average revenues per licenses, per year, was $3.58M (2001-07).

By now, you've probably noticed the obvious. Let's break it down:

Δ=change based on average

The graph makes it indisputable: When fewer titles were released, more revenues were made.

I know. I was freakin' shocked as well. More importantly, the change between 2001-2007 meant anime revenues were on the increase over time, not a decrease, as presumed.

2007, though the graph looks misleading, actually produced the second highest title average in revenue with $3.90M while 2002 generated a staggering $4.41M. The worse year was 2004, which generated an average $2.79M in revenue.

So, what's going on here? Well, there's the flip side to the graph which states When more titles were released, less revenues were made.

This make sense. Profits were good one year, then applied to another. When the market became saturated, customers could not buy the available titles. The following year, less titles were licensed but revenues grew.

Between 2001 and 2007, the average buying market fluctuated no greater than +/-21% (thanks, 2004).

There may be no proof the sky is falling, but given what I see here, I also see no proof other factors are causing loss of sales to justify the remarks coming from the industry.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
configspace wrote:
However, it does accurately reflect the buying habits of US consumers.

What if 60% of the data is based on Pokemon video games? Who does that go to? Nintendo, and they don't produce anime.

I didn't say it wasn't accurate in sales, just inaccurate on what is defined as "anime".
Since we do not know how much of that is actually anime related, the graph is misleading.

Pokemon may have a few series, but no damn way in hell is the video games, cards, plushies, toys, etc. related to the anime market.

You know I think we may be going about two different things here, because your Pokemon is example is exactly what I mean and why the chart is an accurate indicator! Yes the Pokemon video games, trading cards, toys, figures, plushies ARE indirectly related to the anime!!!

You're right that the money spent on the video games, figures, books, trading cards, toys, plushies, etc does not go to the studios or directly pay for the anime, but you know who they go to? Members of the production committees, the various investors and corporate sponsors involve, who all share in part of the rights to the franchise, NOT of the anime itself, but of the intellectual property!

Look at late night anime: the production committees have to PAY to broadcast it on various channels. To help out with their investment the get a bunch of other sponsors on board, who may or may not share in the rights to the intellectual property. Even if the video sales themselves tank or just have just mediocre sales, like for example the Ikkitousen franchise -- that may not matter one bit as long as the non-anime merchandise succeeds because the investors who are involved at the highest levels, i.e. members of the production committees i.e. the sponsors a,k.a. the people who throw a chunk of their money in the pool of funding, are hoping to use that as a marketing vehicle for their own wares!

Take for example Dentsu. You hardly hear their names associated with anime. Most people will know Madhouse, KyoAni, SHAFT, but mention Dentsu and you get blank stares. Yet they're HUGE company that commonly helps sponsor or fund much of anime--not that they care in making big bucks from anime video sales--but to market all other non-anime related goods, related to the franchise.

Going back to K-On, when you buy a Nendroid, yeah you're paying Good Smile. Your money is not going to Kyoto Animation. BUT who does Good Smile license K-On from? Kadokawa. And who pays Kyoto Animation to produce K-On? Kadokawa. Likewise with TBS and the t-shirts and mugs, etc talked about here.

In fact, your Pokemon video game is a exactly the example that illustrates my point: Yeah, when you buy the game, your money is directly going to Nintendo and not the producers of the anime. But wait! Do you think they can take the Pokemon franchise and make a game out of it without asking--or more specifically paying--anyone??
Did you know that Bandai pays Funimation for the Dragon Ball video games? Funimation's Q1 FY10 report
Quote:

a US$1.75 million agency fee resulting from a royalty advance paid for the licensing of Dragon Ball videogame rights to Bandai."

And did you know that Viz is also the master licensor for several properties? When you buy a localized Bleach figure, game, or Vampire Knight trinket, again, your money is going directly to the companies that make those non-anime merchandise. But those companies are in turn, paying Viz. And Viz in turn, pays companies like Shueisha, etc.

So really, trying to completely divorce "anime" as-in-video-sales from other non-anime related goods of the same franchise / intellectual property is just silly
superunature

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
k-on is such a mood changer show. always gets a crackle from it.
I've personally spent about $350 so far and planned to spend $100 more on k-on figures/related goods.
The only thing I won't buy are the Dvds/blu-rays.
1. they are too expensive.
2. no incentive to spend $80 for a case and few art work, 3 episodes when I can download the exact same quality of the whole season in minutes.
Im quite hooked onto anime goods.
in the past 12 months, I've spent ~$1000 on them x)
nyleva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
@PetrifiedJello

While your graphs may be quite pretty, it doesn't really reveal much about the current market. Just by the amount of titles licensed from 2008 to now, you can see that the market is shrinking, although I suppose almost every market is shrinking thanks to the recession.

It also doesn't account for inflation. The North American anime market does not look like it's growing faster than inflation. The fact that most B&M stores no longer carry as much anime is also a factor. In the last couple years, a bunch of NA licensing companies have "closed".

While I don't believe that loss of sales is a huge contributing factor, mostly because I don't believe the people downloading would buy them in the first place, it's pretty clear that the current NA anime model is failing. I suppose you could say that the people growing out of anime no longer consume as much and the new people filling in the gaps don't buy anything because they can just download it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3