• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon cheap anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I was curious if when you buy anime dvds from amazon.com if the companies make a profit if you choose to but the dvds from a seller on amazon rather than buying it directly on amazon.the reason i ask this is becuase i have found some unheard of deals on amazon buy buying from sellers on the site.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
They're almost surely bootlegs if the price is too good to be true. There are a lot of bootlegs on Amazon. You will get what you pay for, maybe less.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
They're almost surely bootlegs if the price is too good to be true. There are a lot of bootlegs on Amazon. You will get what you pay for, maybe less.
Its actually the licensed stuff lol thats why i was asking bbecuase the sellers sell it dirt cheap somehow.becuase i have compared everything i bought with the same items at best buy and other stores there just really cheap.
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the seller. Shawnek for instance is Rightstuf. Buying from him is the same as buying from the actual store. Same with Deep Discount and other major sellers. If it's just a guy selling his DVD, then it's not going to really help the show's sales.

Rule of thumb: If the seller has thousands of ratings, and the item is new, it probably helps as much as buying it elsewhere.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
It depends on the seller. Shawnek for instance is Rightstuf. Buying from him is the same as buying from the actual store. Same with Deep Discount and other major sellers. If it's just a guy selling his DVD, then it's not going to really help the show's sales.

Rule of thumb: If the seller has thousands of ratings, and the item is new, it probably helps as much as buying it elsewhere.
Ok cool thanks for letting me no dude.ya half the sellers i buy from have sold thousands and millions of things.what i dont understand though is how they can sell it so dirt cheap?do you know how they do that?
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The MSRP for most DVDs is vastly inflated over the wholesale price, so that stores can look good by offering discounts. If an item doesn't sell, the only thing they can do is return it to get the wholesale price back. So, if a company has poor sales of a specific item, there isn't any real reason for them not to sell it for a dollar or two above what they paid for it.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
The MSRP for most DVDs is vastly inflated over the wholesale price, so that stores can look good by offering discounts. If an item doesn't sell, the only thing they can do is return it to get the wholesale price back. So, if a company has poor sales of a specific item, there isn't any real reason for them not to sell it for a dollar or two above what they paid for it.
Ok i was just wondering becuase i was able to get Negima the complete series boxset officially licensed by Funimation the 2008 boxset with 26 episodes for 8 dollars brand new with 5 dollars for shipping.
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's also possible that that seller runs a smaller store, and didn't buy the item wholesale. If they can't return it, there is no reason not to get rid of it at any price.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
It's also possible that that seller runs a smaller store, and didn't buy the item wholesale. If they can't return it, there is no reason not to get rid of it at any price.
ok cool.
wormraper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
also they can be close outs, when a new set is released and the old ones go out of print where are they going to go??? the dump, so they sell it to a seller who blows it out on amazon. one of the Amazon affiliates does that for a ton of Funi stuff
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I trust Amazon a little too much. I buy anime DVD's for one dollar and haven't been burned yet. Gungrave for EIGHTEEN dollars! That's just ridiculous!

Who cares at this point, man? Anime companies complain about how people don't buy anime so they shouldn't complain when you actually try to buy anime, regardless of who it's from. It's not my fault Amazon can't compete with randomanimeshopinnewhampshire A.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Just buy from shawnek on Amazon. You won't find a seller store cheaper or more legit than that one.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Just buy from shawnek on Amazon. You won't find a seller store cheaper or more legit than that one.

Yeah you can. Especially if you don't mind it a bit used. The dollar reference I made eariler was to a Cromartie High School DVD that was three dollars. That is as cheap as it gets.
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Kanji...don't stress the details. =.=
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
You just have to make sure you know what you're buying. Sometimes amazon sellers have some really low prices (obviously be aware of bootlegs). The biggest drawback that I have noticed though is the packaging. Most of them are going to send it to you the cheapest means possible.

I ordered Rurouni Kenshin Season 2 from this one vendor and it came in vanilla envelope with a piece of paper around it. As I opened it, the spine of the case was broken. Now you have to go through the whole process of talking to the vendor etc. Rightstuf on the other hand always does an amazing job with shipping/packaging.

So for me it depends on the price of what the amazon vendor is selling compared to rightstuf. I think right now for example GTO Box Set 2 is selling for $10 on several amazon vendors.

I have not dealt with Shawnek though, but am now interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2