• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You Episode IV: A View Hope

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabber36

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
mabber36 wrote:
yeah, wolf's rain is the best anime of the decade. it's too smart for most people

Or too poorly written for it's fans to see through it Rolling Eyes

hmmm, yes, your point is very well-backed up with a detailed argument
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
About Hetalia dub: I personally wasn't offended at all, and I did chuckle a bit. But the changes were underwhelming to say the least. No where near South Park, or Family Guy. Not even close to Simpson's level of humor. All these radical changes seemed all for naught.

I can completely understand the frustration from fans of the original sub version though. However, I say: if you're going to make changes anyways, then you need to go all out and make the changes really really worth it. Currently I think it's kind of a wasted effort.

_V_ wrote:
1 - I actually greatly enjoy Hetalia, and just marathoned the first season with a girl from my anime club. Yes, girls actually - gasp - liking anime, as opposed to more drooling over the latest moe clone.

Except ironically, the many female fans it originally attracted (sub ver) was exactly because its very moe-fied male personalities as discussed in this thread.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
mabber36 wrote:
yeah, wolf's rain is the best anime of the decade. it's too smart for most people

Or too poorly written for it's fans to see through it Rolling Eyes

hmmm, yes, your point is very well-backed up with a detailed argument

Your original post was one line! How is anyone supposed to debate when only one line was given?

Okay I will go first.

Wolf's Rain was largely drawn out, with very little happening, and the characters where boring. None of them where original, and none of them really did anything to stand out except for that one who looked like he was straight out of the Blue Oyster Bar. The series had a very been their done that feel to it because of the sharp rise on using christianity in anime after Evangelion, and anything good about it was largely from the music, and animation. High production values does not make a good anime. By the time we got to the 4 straight recap episodes I frankly quit, I couldn't stand the fact their wasn't a single character I could stand, or that I frankly didn't care.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry to say, guys, but yes, their fans would abandon them.
Read this: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/06/aya-hirano-strikes-back-stop-telling-me-to-die/
That's what up.

PS: where was fanservice in Cowboy Bebop? I remember one scene in the movie...but that's it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Never have I agreed with Charred Knight more (or probably at all!). Wolf's Rain had some ingredients to make a good show, but threw in a lot of garbage and spoiled it.

The human characters were far more interesting than the wolves, for one thing. I didn't care about the wolves at all, except for Blue, and that's just because of the old man. Hub, Cher, these were good characters. Kiba? Tsuge? Who cares? They were boring.

And you cannot have a good show with four clip episodes. You can't. Especially if the show isn't a hundred or more episodes. Even DBZ didn't have four clip episodes (though it hardly needed have any, since it moves so slowly). And yes, you do have to factor in the clip episodes. You know how many clip episodes YYH had? Uh, none, that I remember. I couldn't stand when Trigun had a clip episode. It was 26 episodes. If you have a clip episode in your 26 episode show, you have a problem. So four clip episodes is simply unacceptable.

Steve Conte can sing all he wants, his song is just a cherry on the shit sundae.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Justin: "90% of the time, you're never gonna find yourself watching them again."

Yeah, but there are still enough keepers out there which directly connect with enough people. It's just that consumers are a bit pickier about final purchases, given the suckonomy.

"I wish I had that much time to watch anime."

Hell, I'm currently unemployed and still doin' other shit in-between.

Anyway, I trust your opinion on Scott Pilgrim, since I'm also in the same cynical boat. So I'll give it a shot. Plus, it doesn't look low-rent like Kick-Ass did, so it should at least have some personality.

Zac: "Your average 8-hour work-day."

Assuming you don't get shafted with O/T.

"Movie comes out on VHS, it's $100 to buy."

I think that had to do with production costs.

"DVDs are worth nothing."

Amazon has a store credit deal, and you can still get some good trade-in prices, depending on the title. Plus, you can try out Amoeba.

BTW, Zac, since you liked Scott Pilgrim, have you see Spaced? If you want to meet Wright, he's allegedly doing something later this year @ the New Beverly.

"Serenity"

That failed for a lot of reasons. For one thing, the show didn't even have much of a fanbase. But then, South Park has better ratings, and even that didn't do much for Team America. And yet Twilight is a license to print money. So I'm not sure how these viral marketing things work most of the time.

"Anyone who knows what anime is will like it."

You know, the trailer made me think he'd be perfect to direct Bleach.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: where was fanservice in Cowboy Bebop? I remember one scene in the movie...but that's it.

Faye Valentine

Yeah sure her backstory was interesting, but her primary purpose was to be hot, and wear that skimpy outfit.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
3 - We watched it streaming off FUNimation's website...I have absolutely no intention of buying the DVD. I already "paid" for it, I watched the little embedded commercials. That's how "TV" works. Unless anime switches back from being a "collector's market" to "a mass entertainment market", the industry is doomed. There is nothing...."morally wrong" with watching legal streaming. No, the "proper" way to "watch anime" is not on DVD (you didn't say that, but at their con panels its weird how like, at Katsucon, they switched from talking about how great their video player is...and it is nice...to 10 minutes later lecturing the audience on how "we need to train the noobs that the right way to watch anime is on DVD". Well that sure helped Bandai Visual and Geneon, eh?

What's "with" all the "quotation marks"? Also, what committee "decided" that DVD is not the "proper" way to watch "anime"?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Copyrighted Name wrote:
On Funimation rewrites:
Frankly, I don't think that the folks at Funimation are good writers, period. Whenever they outright rewrite dialogue from scratch (as opposed to reworking sub dialogue to fit an English performance), it seems to be really bad, lazy humor or just badly written cliches. I can't really watch the first FMA dub anymore, because too much of the dub dialogue is not just totally rewritten, but rewritten badly. It hits right at the opening, when Ed is narrating dialogue like, "But that night, we learned that some things can't be measured!" *groan*. It's mostly their older dubs that suffer from this, though (I like the Brotherhood dub!)

I'm not particularly seeing a problem with that FMA quote.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, another Aaron from Virginia that is a massive collector? THE ODDS MAN, WHAT ARE THEY!

Well, yeah, collectors are pretty much going to be the diehards of the diehards, I don't think that has been any different since home media was developed back in the 80's. And with the numerous online options out today, collecting for collecting sake is fast going to be extinct. But as long as people find a sense of accomplishment with having huge collections, they will never really die.

Of course, I have my own pet theory as to why anime is a preferred online only aside from the obvious cost problems people may face, but its also an attempt to avoid social problems with having physical evidence that you are a fan. Shelves of DVDs, people look at you funny. TB's of anime? No one is the wiser.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Of course, I have my own pet theory as to why anime is a preferred online only aside from the obvious cost problems people may face, but its also an attempt to avoid social problems with having physical evidence that you are a fan. Shelves of DVDs, people look at you funny. TB's of anime? No one is the wiser.

And if anyone asks what the HDDs are for, you say "docs for school and pictures", and no one will question you further.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Copyrighted Name wrote:
On Funimation rewrites:
Frankly, I don't think that the folks at Funimation are good writers, period. Whenever they outright rewrite dialogue from scratch (as opposed to reworking sub dialogue to fit an English performance), it seems to be really bad, lazy humor or just badly written cliches. I can't really watch the first FMA dub anymore, because too much of the dub dialogue is not just totally rewritten, but rewritten badly. It hits right at the opening, when Ed is narrating dialogue like, "But that night, we learned that some things can't be measured!" *groan*. It's mostly their older dubs that suffer from this, though (I like the Brotherhood dub!)

I'm not particularly seeing a problem with that FMA quote.

You know what? Looking at it again, that was a massive overreaction on my part. I take it back. The dialogue isn't that bad. In fact, disregard that whole rant. I realized that I haven't seen enough of Funi's (or any) dubs to have any realistic opinion, so all that stuff is nonsense. I shouldn't even have written it.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
Since I'm a very picky person,
I'm like only the few people that actually didn't like the Scott Pligrim comics. So - even though Zac & Justin both like it - I will never be going to see it. Plus I never liked the actor anyway - seen a few of his movies and he acts like a stiff cardboard cutout (my opinion).

Anyway - good talk. Hetalia never caught my interest so I probably won't care.
Bingal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
You guys are totally right about fanservice. There's too much out there of its ilk and it ruins a lot of dramatic moments since it's so awfully detracting.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Luckyy D: I wanna see Scott Pilgrim tooooo.

for Funimation's re-writes: well, I'm a huge Keroro fan and while I love the dub Funi wrote for it most times. Sometimes I watch it and go "uhg. really? you went there? stop!" but I do believe that Sgt. Frog needed Funi's dub in order to succeed here because the Japanese humor would go over alot of heads.
For Hetalia uh, not so much. I think it was pretty funny already. plus it already has a giant fangirl following so it would've done well regardless. ^^;
I haven't seen much of the dub, just whatever clips Funi put on their blog to promote the voice actors. but I do see what you mean by calling it offensive. But I suppose it sells so ... :/
But the way I see it, if they give me the original jokes in the sub version, they can have as much fun with the dub as they want. I think its kindof fun finding all the differences between dubs

I always thought I wasn't very funny...now I know I can blame the Texas air for all these years *stops breathing*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13