• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Bride Is a Mermaid Season 1 DVD Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Not my kind of show...though it makes me wish I was a mermaid(man?) yakuza. :<

=.= I hate frickin fish.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
So did FUNi decide to dub over the songs by Lunar and Sun?

Some of the funniest moments of the series are in the little singing battles between the two with the fans of Lunar being driven to "war" and Sun's followers defending their maiden. You can tell it's a satire of all the crazy online (and perhaps in person?) flame wars that go on between all the different idol fans.

I love Seto no Hanayome. I agree with ya. It sucks as a romance (Sun likes Nagasumi from the getgo, so there's no relationship building), but it's a top notch comedy if ya like parody and physical comedy. It's a show I can watch over and over, and I'm happy I have part 1 being shipped to me right now.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So did FUNi decide to dub over the songs by Lunar and Sun?

They did. It really doesn't sound too bad. Definitely listenable at the least.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Ah, good to hear. I hope FUNi also gets the OVA (if they haven't already).

I'd love to hear how they do Violent Song in English
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hanayome was easily the best thing from the Spring 07 season and it's a shame it's not given it's dues more often.

Megiddo wrote:
I love Seto no Hanayome. I agree with ya. It sucks as a romance (Sun likes Nagasumi from the getgo, so there's no relationship building), but it's a top notch comedy if ya like parody and physical comedy. It's a show I can watch over and over, and I'm happy I have part 1 being shipped to me right now.
I have to respectfully disagree. Whilst it's not Shakespeare in any sense of the word (Unless there's a Shakespearian play about Psyco Lesbian Crab Girls that I have not been made aware of) having Sun and Nagasumi together at the start allows to view the same issues relationships go though after the will they won't they nonsense that most anime is happy to spend 26 half hours of your life warbling on about.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Hanayome was easily the best thing from the Spring 07 season and it's a shame it's not given it's dues more often.

Hmmm, gonna have to disagree with you there. In a season that brought us really excellent stuff like Hayate no Gotoku, Dennou Coil, Seirei no Moribito, Darker Than Black, Gurren Lagann, Claymore... well, anyway, Seto no Hanayome kind of doesn't hold up in comparison, in my opinion.

But it was pretty funny Wink
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
I loved the heck out of this show when I first watched it. It doesn't hold up well to repeat viewings, I think, but it's very much worth watching at least once.

It's not high art or anything, but genuinely funny comedy anime are something that should be treasured, and it positively thrives on energy and sight gags. All the blood being replaced with shiny, sparkly water is one of my favorite running gags.

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. Whilst it's not Shakespeare in any sense of the word (Unless there's a Shakespearian play about Psyco Lesbian Crab Girls that I have not been made aware of) having Sun and Nagasumi together at the start allows to view the same issues relationships go though after the will they won't they nonsense that most anime is happy to spend 26 half hours of your life warbling on about.

There really isn't much depth to their romance, but I do like that they take the time to point out that Nagasumi isn't really Sun's type at all and he actually takes it to heart and tries to improve himself a bit. They have a slightly unique angle in that Sun comes across as trying to make the best of a bad situation rather then being hopelessly in love from the start, but they don't do much with the idea. In the end it's all about the comedy.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
I really like this show, but man, it does wear its influences on its sleeve. In addition to the things Carl mentioned, Kai's phobia left me in absoultely no doubt that he's a blatant reference to Mendou.

There's an infectious energy about the show that makes it easy for me to ignore its more derivative aspects, and I think the awkward but gradually blossoming romance between Nagasumi and Sun, two very likeable characters, is enough to give the show a little emotional depth. But I'm mainly in it for the lulz, of which there are many. Can't wait for the second set.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
Quote:

There really isn't much depth to their romance, but I do like that they take the time to point out that Nagasumi isn't really Sun's type at all and he actually takes it to heart and tries to improve himself a bit. They have a slightly unique angle in that Sun comes across as trying to make the best of a bad situation rather then being hopelessly in love from the start, but they don't do much with the idea. In the end it's all about the comedy.
Oh yes, I mean the house getting blown up and being restored in the next scene every few episodes is very Yureisei Uatsura (besides hand waving it via hte use of the Setoichi Syndicate's bonkler's cash fund) and there's calls to Tenchi and the like (Set 2 has a rather funny shout out to the Washu Puppets) but I genuinely liked the moments of drama that were interwoven into the plot, they're not there to flood the show, they're there to dance with the show in a merry waltz. It does sort of remind me of how it's done in Tenchi come to think of it.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
My Bride is a Mermaid reminds of of To Love Ru in that both have non stop comedy moments running throughout a given episode. But what sets Mermaid apart for me, and makes me like it 10x more, is the little bits of seriousness in it. To Love Ru never got serious (at least not in the first collection from Sentai) and it lost me after that.

For all his faults and for all the crazy things that happen to him, Nagasumi does try to do the right thing. And one person who recognizes that, and is my favorite character in the show, is Sun's mother. I like the fact that she sees the goodness or sincerity in Nagasumi.

The show may not be perfect, but it is awfully funny and the little moments of drama help seal the deal for me.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that people look at Seto no Hanayome and see a show that is derivative and unoriginal. I look at it and see an original idea that is packed to the gills with absolutely as much parody of the most absurd aspects of every genre of anime as it can! The Yakuza/mermaid idea is genius! The romance between Sun and Nagasumi is sweet, in that neither of them particularly want to get together at first, but Sun is determined not to sully her family honor by having a boy she saved killed because she saved him, and Nagasumi, for his part, is determined to become the man that Sun needs him to be for love to truly fluorish. That is romance of a different type than most other shows that I have seen, though I expect that it might be considered derivative to people that have seen more anime than I.

That said, the real strength of the show is comedy, and it has it in spades! This is one of the funniest things I have seen in years, regardless of genre. spoiler[I'm pretty sure that it is in the second half, so not appropriate to this release, but the episode where the dads cos-play the "girl-game" characters trying to "understand" their daughters better is almost impossible to watch! It hurts to laugh that much! When Sun's dad said "uugu", ala Ayu from Kanon, I couldn't breath for a full minute!]
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Watched one episode of this ages ago. Don't remember much about it. Don't even remember what made me stop watching after one ep. Is it worth another look? I wonder... - -"
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ah, good to hear. I hope FUNi also gets the OVA (if they haven't already).

I'd love to hear how they do Violent Song in English

I can't believe I never noticed this when watching the OVA. From yodeling to a Dragonforce cover. I love the sense of humour in this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1