• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Special Side Story Manga Next Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
(Facepalm) The series is done now, lady. Show's over. Don't add anything else, it already had a great ending. Anything else would ruin it.

And here I thought I'd be the only one who would say that. Seriously, the series ended on a great note, so let the permanently end for good.

The anime is either near conclusion or has ended (it's been a while since I read anything FMA related in terms of anime), the manga concluded, all the games that needed to were to be made are now made, all the trading cards, OVAS, action figures, CD's and posters etc, have now been made.

It's great that more material is being made, but now it feels like the series is just being milked for as long as it can.

The show is over though and that is the truth.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
What's with the outcry for one side-story chapter? I'm not saying this to be rude, especially since the majority opinion is that this is a cool thing, but how is one bonus thing milking it? Honestly, it's a gift to the fans, not some kind of 'let's ruin the ending' thing, sheesh.

I'm not saying it'll be good for sure or not, but it can't be that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Her story, she can do whatever she wants because she understands her work better than anyone, it's not like some retard is adding crap to it or remaking it (I'm looking at you Michael Bay). It's the creator at work.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the more trivial and throw away the side story is, the better. Just something really entertaining about some of the side characters, like a funny story about what Father did to pass the time when most of the story of the manga was going on.

I'm looking forward to whatever Arakawa comes up with, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

It's great that more material is being made, but now it feels like the series is just being milked for as long as it can.

I'm sorry how is a simple side story milking the franchise? It's a manga! The lady wrote it! She can do whatever she wants with it. It's not like we're seeing an announcement for "Fullmetal Alchemist Z" or anything.
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

The show is over though and that is the truth.

Yeah, I think she knows that, that's why we're talking about a manga side story here.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
"Fullmetal Alchemist Z"

My favorite part is when Roy fights Olivier on Namek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't think anybody would actually be too mad about this.

It's just a single side-story.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
If she keeps on doing it or this turns out to be a full blown sequel than that's a problem. If it's the equivalent of Yahiko's Reverse Blade sword where we get an additional chapter than that's fantastic.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, a side story! Maybe it'll be published by Viz.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
What's the matter with her writing a side story? It's her story, she can do whatever she wants. If J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter side stories, nobody would be complaining. Arakawa-Sensei can do whatever she wants. I don't think she's milking FMA at all, (her self-portrait is a bespectacled cow) but I like that there's a side story, it'll be fun. So stop complaining.

Couldn't agree with you more if you paid me, comrade.

Que sera sera, y'know? Have a little faith and understanding, guys. Rolling Eyes
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone forgot that each Fullmetal Alchemist volume published has a side story at the end. And she has done side story chapters before too.
Quacker000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
well I guess if you think the side story's goin to ruin the story for ya then just don't read it
I on the other hand love her side stories, they're hilarious! ahh FMA is super great
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Does Kunokuniya carry this magazine? Because I want that figurine so bad...Very Happy

How can you *not* be happy about a side story written by the creator? It's not like they announced a live-action movie directed by M. Night Shamylan or anything...*cough*

I'm really excited about this! Laughing
Oh, and you guys talking about the "side stories she already did"---are you referring to her 4-panel gag strips? I don't think those are actual side stories, just tankoban extras.

(Oh, and I'm pretty sure J.K. Rowling wrote a HP side story-it was called the "Epilogue" Razz)
H0shi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please be Roy side story............... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
The FMA:B ending was probably the best, most satisfying ending of an manga-based TV series I've seen in a while.

The primary reason was they committed a whole episode to the wrap-up instead of just the last three minutes.

That said, I wouldn't mind a side-story as long as it doesn't 'hurt' the happy ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3