• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Special Side Story Manga Next Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Oh, and you guys talking about the "side stories she already did"---are you referring to her 4-panel gag strips? I don't think those are actual side stories, just tankoban extras.

Besides the 4-panel gag strips there are also side stories in select volumes: Like Flame VS Fullmetal, The One about Black Hayate's origin's, the one about the Elric Family.

She also wrote side stories for all the perfect guide books.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Ooh, a side story! Maybe it'll be published by Viz.

Well I am assuming (and I could be wrong) that this side story will also be in the final volume of FMA which is not out yet. Normally the side stories do not appear in Shounen Gangan. I just think Shounen Gangan wanted to capitalize on FMA in their anthology for a little bit more. Which I personally think is very cool because it means we get more FMA goodies. Smile
FMABleach

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If she keeps on doing it or this turns out to be a full blown sequel than that's a problem. If it's the equivalent of Yahiko's Reverse Blade sword where we get an additional chapter than that's fantastic.

That would be cool, since I have all the RuroKen Volumes (well the VIZBig edition with the 3 or 4 volumes in one....)

================================================

Guys why are some of you so mad about Arakawa doing a side story? She's done this before with other side stories.

Also she is not milking it nor is she trying to turn it into Dragon Ball or whatever.

Just enjoy whatever she has in store for us.

================================================

ANYWAY I can't wait to see what she has for us. Hope it's something about Roy or maybe hints toward the movie. :3
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Whatever this gaiden chapter will be about, I bet it'll be awesome like the rest of FMA. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sburstall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
What's the matter with her writing a side story? It's her story, she can do whatever she wants. If J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter side stories, nobody would be complaining. Arakawa-Sensei can do whatever she wants. I don't think she's milking FMA at all, (her self-portrait is a bespectacled cow) but I like that there's a side story, it'll be fun. So stop complaining.
I have no problems with this either. From the sound of it it's just a side story. It will only add to the depth of the characters in this epic series. Plus I'd like to see more Hayate (that dog is darn cute).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How can you *not* be happy about a side story written by the creator? It's not like they announced a live-action movie directed by M. Night Shamylan or anything...*cough*

Bwuahahahaha! Oh dear gawd, no. Do not want.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
How can you *not* be happy about a side story written by the creator? It's not like they announced a live-action movie directed by M. Night Shamylan or anything...*cough*

Bwuahahahaha! Oh dear gawd, no. Do not want.

Keep M. Night far, far away from FMA, will only borrow The Last Airbender from the library for free when it comes out, never spending money on that movie, ever.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about my other post but it had to be done since I am writing an paper on human behavior. Err, not really but it was kinda fun to see everyone's strong reactions. I just misinterpret the news. My own reaction was because I though she would start an entire long-running manga series instead of just an extra side-story chapter. Doing that so soon after the main series just ended seems like trying to cash in while people are still interested.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, I hope that the extra side story will be a non-canon FMA chibi party because it would gladly show how the characters have finally finished the series and are out celebrating the end of a great franchise. Plus, will there be a second OVA chibi party? It would be pretty funny and hilarious if the characters meet the anime-only characters from the first series and give their perspective on the new series went.

Anyways, back to the side story, what's wrong with Arakawa making a side story? Unless if it is a prologue to a sequel, I just don't see how she will continue the series without the main title character since spoiler[Edward willingly gave up his Alchemy powers to bring back Al. How can a sequel be called Fullmetal Alchemist when he no longer has his Alchemy?]

If the side story is how are all the characters are doing since the finale or if it is a comical non-canon side story, that's fine with me.

Quote:

I am always curious of how FMA will translate to live action since I always see that it has great potential to be a great live action anime adaptation but please keep M. Night away from the series. On second thought, please keep him away from everything so that he won't put his self-indulgent hands on them all.

It will do us all some good if he would just stay away.
A Fish That Has A Secret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm partial. I loved the ending of the show (even if Ed & Winry's happily ever after kind of bitch-slapped me), so I don't want it to be altered, but a gaiden would hopefully equal excellent insight into characters.

I'm thinking the perfect gaiden wouldn't be solely on Ed and Al (or Winry >.>). We've seen and heard their story. Maybe on the Ishvalans, or Xing, or some of the other characters whose lives have only been hinted at spoiler[(Like the Chimeras, Yoki, and their circus)]

Has anybody heard any rumors as to what the movie might possibly be about? If it's another Nazi-Thule thing masked with Amestrian culture, I'll be sorely disappointed.
A Fish That Has A Secret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
I am always curious of how FMA will translate to live action since I always see that it has great potential to be a great live action anime adaptation but please keep M. Night away from the series. On second thought, please keep him away from everything so that he won't put his self-indulgent hands on them all.

It will do us all some good if he would just stay away.

I don't agree with Live Action. The only LA anime adaptation that remotely worked (that I've seen) was Death Note, mostly because it was already generally set in modern Japan, so it was easy to translate. Maybe I've only seen bad movies, but most other LA's tend to be skewed to fit our universe, or just have bad actors.

I don't think there's a person in this world that can work Ed's bangs.

The Shamallama thing, though, I totally agree on. I have never paid for any of his movies since Lady in the Water, and I'm glad I haven't.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
I've seen some nice live-action adaptations of manga: Love*Com and Honey & Clover~two romcoms with no fantasy elements that are set in Japan. FMA would be a bad live-action choice because it's A. A fantasy and B. Set in a place that's not Japan.

If they do decide that the next FMA film should be live-action, I hope that all the fans, including the Japanese fanbase, revolts.

Besides, everything's better animated, don'cha know? Razz
A Fish That Has A Secret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Besides, everything's better animated, don'cha know? Razz

Exactly. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3