• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
This thread needs restoring to its former glory.

A while back I wrote:
...poor Rin Tohsaka is melting. It began with some 40ºC+ days a couple of summers ago (Edit: this post indicates it was happening before that even) and has been getting steadily worse ever since. She's now quite sticky to touch so that dust and lint are adhering to her. In addition the skin sections are becoming variable in tone. Oh! Oh! The Melbourne climate is compromising her wondrous Zettai Ryouiki!

I'm hoping that, to coincide with the upcoming Fate / Stay Night adaptation, a new figure will be released that captures her mischievous intelligence (something that none of the many previous figures have managed to do), while avoiding making her hair look stringy / ratty. I've always thought this Kotobukiya version was the best of a mediocre bunch...

Well, Max Factory has just announced a new figma release of Rin Tohsaka. Pre-orders will get a bonus face that finally captures her impish sense of humour.

The marvel of it is that she has very same expression in the screen capture that has graced my desktop since the UBW TV series began last year.

Everything comes to those who wait. Now, if I can tilt the figma's head just so and cross her arms she'll be apples.

Last edited by Errinundra on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:32 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I know people have posted about their cleaning methods a while back but I just wanted to ask again since I cleaned some of my figures today.

I mostly use either a makeup brush (that I took from sister) and air can to clean my figurines but I find that sometimes dust stick in the hard to reach places, i.e. corners. So I wonder if there any other way to clean them that won't damage them. Earlier, I think I broke my Saber Lily's ahoge while brush off large amounts of dust earlier. In addition, I find that her white dress is beginning to warp and change colors (it's not a more reddish-light pink color). Is there any way to prevent this besides keeping her away from warm places? I don't have a glass case nor the room for one so I often leave my figurines out in the open. It might be time to return them to their cardboard and plastic prisons.

One more semi-related question: my room gets quite dusty rather quick. After cleaning one of my shelves, within a week, I see that dust has accumulated already. Is there a way to air out my room to have it less dusty?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
On the subject of dusting. If compressed air and a brush are not getting everything, the only thing I can suggest is a smaller brush that can reach into the tighter places. Look for small artists brushes in any hobby store, or even in Wal-Mart.

The other thing I would suggest is that you not worry too much about dust. As you have discovered, some of the smaller features of figures are fairly fragile. The less you handle them the better. Think of dust as a preservative. Remove it only if it is getting unsightly or obscures features. The original boxes can also cause damage.

As to the color changes on Saber, I'm assuming she wasn't stained by contact with colored paper or cloth. If that is the case, this is a chemical reaction in the plastic. You probably can't stop it but you can slow it down. The things most likely to accelerate such a change are heat and exposure to light sources. Both sunlight and florescent light can be bad. Try to make sure it is exposed only to indirect light.

Your room is probably just normally dusty, you are just sensitive to it. Opening it to the outside just provides a different source of dust. Some of the biggest sources of dust are paper and fabric. If you read or get dressed in that room that is your source. I should note that in rooms with a lot of traffic the dust gets moved around a lot. In a bedroom it just sits there and accumulates in corners.

A glass case is not going to keep all dust off, it just slows it down.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, Alan45!

Yea, I've been cleaning them way less (every 2 months as oppose to bi-weekly now) but it just bothers me so much to see all the white dust around them and sticking onto them. I'll probably clean the stands of the figurines bi-weekly rather than the whole figurine.

Your reply has lift a lot of worries off my back so now I won't panic [as much] when my figurines change colors.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Your figures shouldn't be changing color, but it is likely that anything you do to reverse the change would cause more damage. Unfortunately the companies that manufacture figures do not always know the effects of changed ingredients for the plastic. There is no telling what changes time will cause. Just try to keep them away from heat and direct light.
Hirami

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone!
As you probably know, there are some pretty nice Yu-Gi-Oh Figures out there, especially those from Kotobukiya.
We now want to get them to release the Egypt characters as well.
If you are a fellow Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, please help us by signing and speading this!
Thank you very much <3

https://www.change.org/p/kotobukiya-株式会社壽屋-please-create-1-7-scale-figures-of-the-egypt-yu-gi-oh-characters

http://hiramiyugioh.tumblr.com/post/129095837804/yu-gi-oh-egypt-figures
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Rin Tohsaka arrived last Monday.

She's not all that large while her knees joints make her legs look they're from a lobster. What do I expect from a Figma character. Despite that she has the droll intelligence that all other versions of Rin have lacked.

Here's the whole crew. Nadie (El Cazador de la Bruja) is obscured.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I have 3 figurines that I left in my boxes over the period of some months. I'm still waiting for my Crunchyroll orders of the Love Live Birthday figurines to be shipped out to me. But, in the meantime, these are the things I've purchased over the last 3-6 months.

First up is Beach Queens' Marika Tachibana from Nisekoi. She's my favorite character (and the best girl) in the series. She's quite a small figure and fits right into the palms of my hand. I don't have too many shots of her because there's really not much to ogle though her beachwear is quite nice.

Next is Kurumi from Date A Live. This was sort of an impulsive buy but I don't regret it one bit. The sculpt is really nice and the colors of her dress-wear really fits her character even if it's composed of mostly black and tidbits of red. The pose is really sexy, too, and when comboed with her undergarment, my "brain" couldn't say no.

The last one is Takane from Idolm@ster, and like the previous characters, she was one of my favorites from the show. I think this is my 3rd figure featuring a character holding an umbrella. I'm not sure why but I often find myself enjoying figures like this. It somewhat makes the character feel elegant or maybe it's the yukata/kimono combo that make the characters appear more lady-like.

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Well it's been well over a year since I bought a figure. Probably closer to 16 months actually. Time to make up for that gap with massive spending lol. I've gone ahead and ordered 6 figures with my eye on a few others. Fortunately I only had to pay for 2 right now as 4 are pre-orders and they all don't release to next year. I also spread out the months they release to give me more cushion. Here's what I have ordered thus far.

I found these 2 on other hobby sites and both are pre-owned but in very fine to great condition. Considering I got both for 50% off the normal price no complaints here.

Yui Takamura

Inori Yuzuriha

And here are the pre-orders I made

Angela Balzac

Mirei Shikishima

Saber

Tali Zorah

There's also an auction for a pre-owned figure of dear Elizabeth Mably from Freezing I am watching as well. Might jump in on it depending how high it gets. It has 2 1/2 days left on auction.

CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Got my haul of Haikyuu game-prize figures a few days ago, I was lucky to find my three favorite characters in Amiami's pre-owned section in almost new condition at a great price

Nishinoya Yuu

Oikawa Tooru

And Tsukishima Kei, who recently got a character arc in the anime

I've also preordered the Oikawa Nendoroid, which should arrive some time February

And the Nishinoya Nendoroid, which I'm expecting around June

I'm usually not a big fan of Nendoroids, but these were too cute to pass, they both got some extremely adorable face plates, so I'm excited to get them
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hey errinundra and StatuesFigsMore, could you please reduce the size of your images and/or thumbnail them? You're really screwing up the page for me.
StatuesFigsMore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I took out one pic, let me know if remaining pic still messes up the page for you
Vaisaga wrote:
Hey errinundra and StatuesFigsMore, could you please reduce the size of your images and/or thumbnail them? You're really screwing up the page for me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga,

I'm at work. I'll fix up the image when I get home tonight.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had any problem with any of the photos posted to date. Just what was the problem? This thread is fairly useless without photos and I would prefer they were large enough to take up most of the screen so as to provide detail.

Is there an optimum size for photos displayed here? Can the thread title warn people that it is photo heavy?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
^
Let me post a screenshot of what I get for you.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 99 of 111