• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rita et Machin Picture Books Get Anime Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, given that a 10-year old is the main character, I expect that this is going to be too kiddy for me, but I must say that the dog's name is quite funny. "Machin" would translate to something along the lines of "thingamajig."
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty awesome that JP studio's are adapting works outside of JP. Hope they do it more.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Given this isn't shonen or seems to have a interesting cast of characters I am probably going to pass on this series as well.

Now if the entire cast were adults, I'd be more interested.
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Pretty awesome that JP studio's are adapting works outside of JP. Hope they do it more.

They've always done it. Go watch some of the World Masterpiece Theater shows like Anne of Green Gables, Daddy Long Legs, Romeo's Blue Skies, and Nobody's Boy Remi (and Nobody's Girl Remi). Those are some excellent watches.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
^ Unfortunately I never heard of them and that list is pretty small too. Are those adaptations any good too?
Zipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
^ I said they were excellent didn't I? =P

That list is just some of my favorites. World Masterpiece Theater alone has been producing dozens of series based on novels from all over the place since the 70s and they recently began producing anime again in 2006. Unfortunately a lot of them haven't been subbed (the ones I listed have been though). They're old and/or obscure so it's no surprise that nobody cares or have even heard of them (it's a shame).

But yeah, lots of anime draw inspiration or adapt works from sources outside of Japan.
rg4619

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
nhat wrote:

They've always done it. Go watch some of the World Masterpiece Theater shows like Anne of Green Gables, Daddy Long Legs, Romeo's Blue Skies, and Nobody's Boy Remi (and Nobody's Girl Remi). Those are some excellent watches.

Well, it's actually a period of revival now. Even World Masterpiece Theater (relaunched a couple years ago) ended with the market changes during the mid-90s. However, we've recently seen the return of these kinds of projects.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
For example "The Snow Queen".

I only watched a couple of episodes, but I liked it a lot! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Well, given that a 10-year old is the main character, I expect that this is going to be too kiddy for me,

C'mon, ya know she's gonna be turned into a moe loli! Laughing

I already predict the adaptation will make lots of changes from the book, for Japanization purposes....
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
^ Unfortunately I never heard of them and that list is pretty small too. Are those adaptations any good too?

You never heard of it? They made a lot of World Masterpiece Theater titles since 70's. Directors like Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata built their career with those titles. Given the fact that most of those titles never made to the States, so I can't blame you for not knowing about them.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
^ And that is one of the reasons why fansubs are indeed useful. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Is this a new WMT title?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1